How Do I Stop Obsessing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you have gotten to the point during the process of applying to medical school where it literally becomes your life and you cannot stop obsessing (well I have at least).

I have a highly competitive application for my in-state school (3.93 GPA, multiple EC's in many different areas, very good letters, average MCAT, honors thesis, etc...), but I was misinformed early on in the process about the concept of rolling admissions. I was told that applying in September really wasn't that big of a deal, but now I know that is wrong.

I cannot stop obsessing and getting mad at myself for not getting my primary application in earlier (because if I would have known how much of a difference it could make, I would have).

Has anyone else been able to work through these issues? I am tired of beating myself up over it.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you do anything about it?

If yes, then do it.
If no, then relax. What's done is done.

Reactions: 2 users
Worst case in this scenario, if it just doesn't work out and applying in September really is self-destruct... Then you'll be early next year, it really is not something to lose your mind over. Relax, you never know what might be in store in that extra year, there's a huge maybe that you'd make the most of it, do something meaningful that you won't be able to during/after med school, and will apply early next year with an even more competitive app. I'm on my gap year and cannot wait to live/volunteer in Spain for 3 months with a friend and I'm jittery excited. I know I won't be able to do that once I matriculate.

Be easy, you'll be a doc

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you do anything about it?

If yes, then do it.
If no, then relax. What's done is done.
It's funny that this is something I often tell others. But when it comes to taking my own advice, it's a whole different story :arghh:

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried taking a break from SDN? Out of sight, out of mind.

Have you tried taking a break from SDN? Out of sight, out of mind.
Haha, yes! I did for a while, then buckled. I have at least stayed out of the "What Are My Chances?" thread.