How do I study for MCAT a second time?

Started by dot
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dot

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the MCAT in April and got a 33Q (10v12p11b). I?d like to take it again next April to see whether I can do better. I took TPR and it helped a lot, but I feel like I need more help to get a better score. I definitely need more verbal help, and can improve in the sciences as well, although I think I?m pretty solid in my basic sciences. What other prep/practice materials do you guys recommend? Any materials particularly good at helping you develop your critical thinking skills? Has anyone tried the Kaplan's MCAT 45? I?m not going to start studying for the MCAT for a while, but I want to do some research and get the prep books I need.
 
You don't really need to take it again - your score is certainly competitive. Unless you are dead-set on top schools or MSTP, I would sit on your 33Q.

If you do decide to take it again, I found the Kaplan verbal section tests to be very helpful. I went from a 5 diagnostic to a 13-15 this April. You have to sign up for the complete course to use it though. I'm not sure about other materials.

Good luck with whatever you do, and if you take it again I hope your scores go up significantly. 🙂
 
doc octopus,

did you use any of TPR's verbal?..........if so.....how did you do on them, and what did you think about them......i find kaplan's easier than TPR, but most people say its the other way around........which is more realistic?....is kaplan representative?
thanks....your posts are always a help....

nero