How do I talk about a specific rural adversity of mine?

Mar 5, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I am applying to a school that is pretty rural-focused and I grew up in a rural community myself and it is a large part of my life. However, I am also a person of color and my diversity/adversity essays are largely centered around the unique adversities I faced as a POC in a rural area. For this school, I feel like it is weird to talk about the adversities I faced as a rural community member. I just don't want it to come off as resentful towards rural settings. Do you all have any advice on how I can talk about my specific life experiences without sounding like I don't like rural America?

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student
I am applying to a school that is pretty rural-focused and I grew up in a rural community myself and it is a large part of my life. However, I am also a person of color and my diversity/adversity essays are largely centered around the unique adversities I faced as a POC in a rural area. For this school, I feel like it is weird to talk about the adversities I faced as a rural community member. I just don't want it to come off as resentful towards rural settings. Do you all have any advice on how I can talk about my specific life experiences without sounding like I don't like rural America?
Why not just talk about them as adversities with out discussing the rural aspect?

But tt's OK to say, for example, that you were the only POC in the county, for example.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status
  1. Academic Administration
I've been reading My Vanishing Country by Bakari Sellers. Clearly, it is possible to be from a majority black rural area, or an area that is rural and majority white.

Either way, there may be a shortage of resources and opportunities and you should set the stage with a little background about your county's demographics and how the experience of growing up in that environment has influenced the way you think about the health of your community and the special needs in rural areas. (I was interested to learn from a friend working in the field about occupational injuries of farmers and their particular needs with regard to prosthetics! Who knew?)

Reactions: 1 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads