How do Med school look at undergrad Pass/No Pass grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmnfive

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now, before i get flamed for not doing a search, let me tell u, i've tried; and the only posts that come up about pass no pass pertained to med school, and not undergrad (at least it was after the first 4 or 5 pages)

at any rate, I was wondering how med school look at a Pass/Fail grades on your undergraduate record; i've heard mixed opinions. how they see a pass as a C, and a fail as an F when you fill out your amcas.

Thanks guys, i appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how AMCAS takes it into account, but I had 4 classes pass/fail in undergrad and I certainly haven't been treated like I had 4 C's as far as interviews go. Nobody has asked me about them and I've done pretty well throughout the process.

As far as the medical schools are concerned, I am pretty sure they definitely want to see grades for all pre-requisite courses. Other than that- you are fine to pass/fail course not required for your major or those that go above and beyond what you'd need for med school or to graduate. I have pass/ failed 2 upper-division science classes and still just got into medical school. I don't think they picture them as C's. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys i appreciate it . its a weight off of my back

no one said squat about mine. just don't take o-chem pass/fail or anything.

All of my undergraduate work, including my pre-medical pre-requisites, is pass/fail (no grades are ever given at that institution) and I do not have any undergraduate GPA. I've called several medical schools to ask them whether I can still realistically apply in spite of this. Since I've gone to graduate school, and I do have grades there, most of them said that it was fine. They also said that my MCAT score would be super important as proof that I have a strong pre-medical science background. If you're worried, I suggest contacting the schools you're interested in and asking them directly.

QofQuimica said:
All of my undergraduate work, including my pre-medical pre-requisites, is pass/fail (no grades are ever given at that institution) and I do not have any undergraduate GPA. I've called several medical schools to ask them whether I can still realistically apply in spite of this. Since I've gone to graduate school, and I do have grades there, most of them said that it was fine. They also said that my MCAT score would be super important as proof that I have a strong pre-medical science background. If you're worried, I suggest contacting the schools you're interested in and asking them directly.

so each school would have different policies?

kmnfive said:
so each school would have different policies?

Some of the schools were more flexible about my situation than others. Obviously I don't want to waste their time (or my own!) applying to the schools that told me right off the bat that I wouldn't have a good chance of getting in there. I have ended up with quite a different list of schools than I began with based on the results of my phone calls. It takes some time and effort to contact the schools this way, but I feel that it has been completely worth it, because I have eliminated the schools at which I would not be a strong candidate.

QofQuimica said:

Well Q, from what I've heard about your MCAT you should be in great shape if that's what they're going to use for numbers. :thumbup:

tacrum43 said:
Well Q, from what I've heard about your MCAT you should be in great shape if that's what they're going to use for numbers. :thumbup:

It does make it harder for them to dismiss me off the bat, in spite of my unusual college background. But I'm not counting on anything until I have that first acceptance firmly in hand. ;)

kmnfive, before you get too freaked out and start calling a bunch of schools, keep in mind that going to an undergraduate institution where everything is pass/fail is very different than taking a few pass/fail courses. i took 6 pass/fail courses during undergrad (3 of them were dance or theater mandatory pass/fail) and have gotten interviews and acceptances at top schools. no one's said anything. i think the advice to take all of the really competitive premed classes for a grade is important, but if there's a class that you want to take pass/fail, don't worry about it.

I took a public speaking class pass/fail and I've had multiple acceptances--only 1 interviewer mentioned it and not in a bad light. My feeling is that if its not an "important" class and it is only done once or twice then you are probably fine.