How do med students make money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't!!! Those are very bad and have lifetime consequences. Some include never having kids!
Some people have bad experiences, lots don't. Don't knock it 'til you try it.

If anybody is reading this and considering egg donation, there's lots of support groups that can answer all of your questions (good and bad!).

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fairly convinced that most med students don't have a part-time job during school (or at least that's what it's perceived to be since med school will be so difficult and you'll need to spend the majority of your time studying), so besides mommy and daddy's money, how do other med students get money for housing and living costs, as well as other pocket change?

The highest yield thing you can do for your long term success is to focus on medical school.
Nobody has "free time" to work and make money... not without hurting your studies.

Reactions: 2 users
Medical school is a big decision by itself but also a unique financial decision. You should have a game plan as to where your money will be coming from for four years before you even accept an offer.

Loans should cover all your expenses with some money leftover. For those not taking loans, I usually see parents paying the total cost up front. I do not know anybody who does not have wealthy parents who did not take loans.

I would not work while in medical school. It is not worth it.
Agree completely, assuming you don't have excess financial obligations past the norm. Sometimes, you simply have to work some to pay the bills, but without such obligations, if loans aren't enough, you really need to look at your spending habits. If you have to work, try to find things that allow you some time to study at the same time. They likely won't pay as well as other jobs, but study time is usually more important than the difference in compensation, and being away from home in a work environment can have the added benefit of putting you in a good frame of mind for such studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tutoring is a goldmine. I usually made about $500/wk during M1/M2 but there were plenty of weeks where I was making much more than this, especially now due to COVID. Granted, I have years of tutoring experience and a marketable MCAT score (also tutored SAT/ACT/GRE). Tutoring alone allows me to cover all my living expenses while also making decent-sized payments on the private student loans I acquired during undergrad + grad.

I also have a work-study job since the funds are available, it pays substantially less than tutoring but it's essentially free money given the job requirements. If you qualify for work-study, use it. There are always plenty that exists that just have you sitting behind a desk for 'x' hours, time you essentially get paid to study. Funds not used for work-study can be taken out as Direct PLUS loans, but it isn't worth the interest rate.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been offered/accepted work study and is this worth it?

Edit: I received some, don't *need* it, and honestly never knew it was even a thing in medical school. Not sure if it's a wise move to spend time working a semi-unrelated job (e.g. not research or clinical)

Work study is 100% worth it. There are always these office clerk jobs that exist for WS folks that consist of 90% downtime, so you're essentially paid to study.

There are usually other jobs available that, while not research or clinical related, interesting and just because you're in med school it doesn't mean you shouldn't do stuff you want to do.

One of my work-study jobs was an educational job at a museum, for example. Most fun I ever had getting paid.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm fairly convinced that most med students don't have a part-time job during school (or at least that's what it's perceived to be since med school will be so difficult and you'll need to spend the majority of your time studying), so besides mommy and daddy's money, how do other med students get money for housing and living costs, as well as other pocket change?
Some of them are so smart that they try to make a business whilst studying, so they can assure their future. Many of them are doing stocks, trading. (I don;t reckon any other good ways to make good money in fair ways lol). You can learn more about it on businessupside.com and not just only it. Also there may be any other ways, but I really prefer only this rather than doing any jobs and wasting your time for someone. Stocks can really provide you a stable income, but if you go greedy - you will only lose your money.

Last edited:
Tutoring is a goldmine. I usually made about $500/wk during M1/M2 but there were plenty of weeks where I was making much more than this, especially now due to COVID. Granted, I have years of tutoring experience and a marketable MCAT score (also tutored SAT/ACT/GRE). Tutoring alone allows me to cover all my living expenses while also making decent-sized payments on the private student loans I acquired during undergrad + grad.

I also have a work-study job since the funds are available, it pays substantially less than tutoring but it's essentially free money given the job requirements. If you qualify for work-study, use it. There are always plenty that exists that just have you sitting behind a desk for 'x' hours, time you essentially get paid to study. Funds not used for work-study can be taken out as Direct PLUS loans, but it isn't worth the interest rate.

How do you find a steady supply of tutoring students? Just word of mouth locally or through a third party like Wyzant?

Reactions: 1 user
How do you find a steady supply of tutoring students? Just word of mouth locally or through a third party like Wyzant?

Word of mouth.

My friend was a biostatistician for a large clinical research group that had like 20 premed students rotate through each summer and lots of post-bacc students. They recommended them to me for MCAT tutoring, and then that sort of rolled through with constant recommendations year by year. I'm in NYC, so I have access to lots of students from big private institutions (so they have $$$), which certainly helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Same as undergrad. Loans + grants.