How do medical schools view FAES at NIH?

Started by djtanner
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

djtanner

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am posting this because I have not been able to find a thread about this topic with a concrete answer to my question. I first posted on the Pre-Medical Allo forums but got zero replies. I would really appreciate some help.
My questions are: How do medical schools view classes taken through FAES at NIH? I am wondering if med schools view FAES graduate classes similarly to classes taken at a 4-year UG university, or if they view them as ore similar to community college/online classes. Will it negatively affect my application to take FAES classes?

I am ideally looking for adcom input, but would appreciate anyone who knows how med schools view these classes. Neither my adviser nor anyone I have talked to knows the answer to this since a lot of people have never heard of FAES.
 
@LizzyM do you have any advice on this topic? Have not gotten a reply from anyone in premed or nontrad forums and would so much appreciate the advice.
 
I suspect you have received no replies because no one knows what FAES is. In questions of "Do med school A accept credit from program Z?" the best, and most common sense approach is to contact med schools you are interested in and talk to them directly. Few, if any people, know anything about FAES - including what the acronym means.
 
I know that many post-baccs at NIH take the FAES biochemistry course to fulfill the biochem prereq, after consulting with the schools to which they plan to apply. However, I don't believe that any of their science courses have a lab component (very ironically, since they are on an enormous research campus), and they do not seem to be regionally accredited:
"The FAES Graduate School at NIH operates with the approval of the Maryland Higher Education Commission. The FAES Graduate School at NIH is a non-traditional and non-degree granting institution. FAES courses do not currently lead to degrees."