How do most Osteopathic Medical Schools feel about retakes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Foreveryours91

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To explain I raised my science gpa up by retakes because I needed to replace my 2 D's and 3 C's. Is it frowned upon? How do most osteopathic medical schools feel about retakes? And yes I am aware of grade replacement for osteopathic schools.
 
Well I cannot imagine it being a positive thing compared to a student that got an A their first time around but I would first focus on getting the grades right now. Nothing you can do about the situation and I doubt it is a massive issue. They will see both grades when they do a more holistic overview of your classes but I would imagine the most common thing thrown around is your GPA as a single number. It might be one of those, "Okay they did awesome in their interview but only have a 2.9 GPA [hurts you]" or "They did kinda meh in their interview but have a very impressive 3.8 GPA [helps you]".

Having grade replacement is a wonderful thing. Take full advantage of it and move forward without trying to worry about it if you can. You got it 😀!
 
Speaking from experience, situation two definitely does not help you.
Edit: speaking from solid MCAT weak (for MD) GPA.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To explain I raised my science gpa up by retakes because I needed to replace my 2 D's and 3 C's. Is it frowned upon? How do most osteopathic medical schools feel about retakes? And yes I am aware of grade replacement for osteopathic schools.

I don't think it's frown upon that much... I am sure an applicant with 3.4 c/sGPA with 10 retakes would be more competitive than an applicant with 3.2 c/sGPA with no retakes if everything else being equal...
 
If we frowned upon re-takes, we'd lose a lot of really good students who finally straightened out. Not everyone is ready for college at age 18.

So, no, re-takes are NOT frowned upon!

To explain I raised my science gpa up by retakes because I needed to replace my 2 D's and 3 C's. Is it frowned upon? How do most osteopathic medical schools feel about retakes? And yes I am aware of grade replacement for osteopathic schools.