How do my EC's look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxas

Giggity!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the MCAT in April, but I just wanted to see if anyone can shed some light on my current progress/chances as far as my EC's and such go.

I currently have a c3.75/s3.63 gpa. I'm a Human Nutrition major, with a Chemistry minor.

Shadowing
-Total of 25 shadowing hours with various MD/DO's, and plan on getting another 15-20 before I apply

Volunteering/Clinical Experience
-Served a 2 year full-time mission for my church in the Philippines, with multiple service/leardership experiences there (I'm not counting this time towards my hours however).
-95 hours volunteering at the local hospital.
-25 hours volunteering at a local shelter helping low income patients fill out paperwork for their prescriptions.
(Anticipate another 150+ hours of hospital volunteering by the time of my app submission, so total=275+ hours)

Research
Currently working on a project involving use/knowledge of complementary and alternative medicine among college students.

Leadership
-Vice President of service for the nutrition dept. honors society
-Worked for 2 1/2 years (and counting) as a server, and trained multiple servers.
-Assistant coach for local high school mens tennis team for 1 season.
-Various religious leadership experiences.

LOR's
-Currently have 2 faculty that agreed to write letters, with plans asking 2 more after this semester. 1 from my boss at work, and still working on getting one from a physician.

Hobbies/Extracurricular
-Fluent in the Tagalog language
-Avid tennis player
-Active member of nutrition club and nutrition honors society

I basically just want to know how I'm looking at getting into an MD school with my current stats, barring I do well on the MCAT. In fact, what score do you guys think I need to get to feel safe? I of course will apply to my state school, but I'm trying to keep all my options open. I've been told 31 is kinda the magic number for MD, along with a good gpa and EC's.

Members don't see this ad.

other than your research, which sounds like BS, your ECs are fine. focus on the MCAT which matters way more.

other than your research, which sounds like BS, your ECs are fine. focus on the MCAT which matters way more.

Why BS? I'm definitely not advocating the use of that garbage, but after all the ppl I've talked to that think that it's a valid replacement for common medicine, I wanted to do research looking for any correlation between use of CAM and reasons for using, and if those that use it inform their physician that they are doing so. I think that this is something that anyone interested in medicine (like myself) would find helpful and interesting, considering the alarming popularity of some of these "medicines".

your sample of 18-21 year old generally healthy college students is quite convenient and uninformative. but it's better than no research i guess