How do MY experiences contribute to class diversity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BicycleGuy

Not a Watt Weenie
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy, following the diversity essay tips by Goro ("what makes you cool?"), I'm considering writing about working as a bike mechanic and playing sudoku to demonstrate how the "cool" parts of me are manifestations of how I like to solve problems (using surveys and algorithms). I am wondering how I can explain how this "uniqueness" betters the class? I imagine my problem-solving habits would be useful in certain social and medical situations, but that doesn't sound like an eloquent way to finish off my essay.

Alternatively, I'm thinking about theming my diversity essay around the fact that I'm a people pleaser by nature and I've had customer-service-heavy work experience. However, medicine is certainly a big service-sector profession, so I feel like it might be expected that applicants have good customer service skills (patience, honesty, conflict de-escalation, cooperativeness, etc.). How could this experience contribute to my class? I can't really think of any non-cocky ways to explain the diversity value of my experiences.

If I was into nutrition, I could be an asset to my fellow medical school students, but all I can do for them is fix their bikes, take them on bike rides, and set high scores on their sudoku apps.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think the sudoku sets you apart, but the biking certainly does. You could spin this in several ways - your manual coordination can be helpful during labs/procedures, your fitness that comes with biking can motivate students health-wise, and how your encouragement/interest in biking can serve an an alternate transportation idea for the community. Just some ideas to get you started...you've got this!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy, following the diversity essay tips by Goro ("what makes you cool?"), I'm considering writing about working as a bike mechanic and playing sudoku to demonstrate how the "cool" parts of me are manifestations of how I like to solve problems (using surveys and algorithms). I am wondering how I can explain how this "uniqueness" betters the class? I imagine my problem-solving habits would be useful in certain social and medical situations, but that doesn't sound like an eloquent way to finish off my essay.

Alternatively, I'm thinking about theming my diversity essay around the fact that I'm a people pleaser by nature and I've had customer-service-heavy work experience. However, medicine is certainly a big service-sector profession, so I feel like it might be expected that applicants have good customer service skills (patience, honesty, conflict de-escalation, cooperativeness, etc.). How could this experience contribute to my class? I can't really think of any non-cocky ways to explain the diversity value of my experiences.

If I was into nutrition, I could be an asset to my fellow medical school students, but all I can do for them is fix their bikes, take them on bike rides, and set high scores on their sudoku apps.

hey, for my diversity essay i talked about my passion for nutrition and exercise, how that passion started, and how it can affect my peers and eventual patients. I think you could do something similar about your biking experience. Pm me if you have any questons

Reactions: 1 user