How do online/DIY post-bacc classes look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1089381

I'm looking into DIY post baccs to take upper level bio/raise my science gpa. I've done all the pre-reqs. But I'm wondering
how it looks:
a) where you did your post-bacc (i.e. prestige)
b) whether it was online (not just online bc. covid, but online program)
c) if you took DIY classes at multiple universities (i.e. if I took a few online classes now, and then a few classes in person at a different university later)
d) whether you got some sort of certificate or even second bachelors

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also went to a a prestigious liberal arts college, but did post-bacc work to improve my GPA. I ended up taking courses at more than 4 different institutions. The common wisdom is that it is best to take course work at 4-year accredited universities that are in-person. Next best thing is community college, in person. I think community college IS fine (except for probably some of the T20 schools). You should be doing in-person coursework, though. Buy MSAR and you will see that many schools will not accept online coursework (but most these days do take community college). I don't think it really matters how many institutions you took coursework at - I just said I had to fit my course work around my work schedule in my interviews (when it was asked), and that was seen as a valid reason. BUT, it is probably better to take course work at fewer rather than more institutions. The primary thing they don't want is that you are cherry picking course work -- meaning, for example, that you take physics 1 in the summer at community college when you are still in undergrad because it is easier to get an A. But after you graduate is a different story. There is a good guide on here from Goro about how to do non-traditional pre-med, you should look for it. If you do coursework at less prestigious places you gotta get a good MCAT (which you should get anyways). That's the justification piece.

And for D, I don't think they care whether you got a certificate or degree. Just get good scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
a) where you did your post-bacc (i.e. prestige)
a local community college and then Harvard extension school. Reason for both was due to cost, scheduling, and availability of advising. Prestige, outside of a few well known postbac programs is highly overrated. With several thousand institutions of higher education it is impossible to track which programs are better than others.
b) whether it was online (not just online bc. covid, but online program)
in person with some courses offered online or hybrid
c) if you took DIY classes at multiple universities (i.e. if I took a few online classes now, and then a few classes in person at a different university later)
no but several of my colleagues did
d) whether you got some sort of certificate or even second bachelors
technically a certificate but that really was not the goal.

I took some upper division classes at a CC and some at a 4-year. I think that obviously taking all at a 4-year will be better, but I don't think that taking courses at multiple colleges reflects anything bad. You don't need a second degree, but signing up as a degree-seeking student is often favorable because it becomes easier to get into classes with seat competition.