How do P1's get hospital internship jobs??

Started by SPharmN
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SPharmN

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm becoming a P1 in 2 months and would like to work in a hospital asap. Currently I have a PTCB certified technician license. It doesn't matter what title I have (tech or intern), as long as I get to work in a hospital pharmacy department and hopefully learn more. I had about 4 months part-time and 2 months full-time work experience at a retail pharmacy. I know nothing about IVs,etc. Should I just walk into each hospital and talk to the HRs there? Would they shut the door on my face or give me some consideration since I'll be a P1 soon?:scared: What's your opinion? 🙂
 
I'm becoming a P1 in 2 months and would like to work in a hospital asap. Currently I have a PTCB certified technician license. It doesn't matter what title I have (tech or intern), as long as I get to work in a hospital pharmacy department and hopefully learn more. I had about 4 months part-time and 2 months full-time work experience at a retail pharmacy. I know nothing about IVs,etc. Should I just walk into each hospital and talk to the HRs there? Would they shut the door on my face or give me some consideration since I'll be a P1 soon?:scared: What's your opinion? 🙂
I am in the same boat.

I am currently interning at CVS, although I won't get my intern license until the end of this summer. I would like to do like 20 hrs a week at CVS and 20 a week at a hospital next summer if possible, if that makes any sense.
 
Hi! I'm also going to be a P1 starting August. I recently got hired on as a PRN tech/intern at a hospital. I talked to the Pharmacy Director at the hospital, and arranged a day where I shadowed the clinical pharmacists, after getting to know me a little the Pharmacy Director was very helpful with sending my information to the right people. I start this Thursday, and can't wait to see what the position will be like! Hope that helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My guess is it depends on the area/school. I don't know how many P1's had hospital jobs when they started last year, but I know nearly every major hospital was advertising jobs available in class or via email using their current student interns to post/make the announcements. City of Hope, Kaiser, Children's Hospital, Cedar's, University Hospital, Norris, etc. I'd say at least 20 positions were announced during the 1st semester. Obviously it wasn't a large percentage of the total P1 class (180+) but there were enough that anyone who wanted hospital could at least apply for one and have somewhat decent odds of getting one.
 
In my experience, it's been very difficult to find intern positions in a hospital since my school is not affiliated with any of the hospitals in NYC. There are three pharmacy schools in the tri-state area that are affiliated with most hospitals already. Notably, Mt. Sinai Hospital take pharmacy apprentices and lists it as a job search (unlike the other hospitals, who only take students in post grad years). Good luck! I don't think I will be able to find a pharmacy intern position while I'm in school. I have spoken to the director of pharmacy for a Brooklyn Hospital and she was kind enough to explain to me why she's not interested in having me -- first, I won't be in the city during the year so by the time the training is done (which she says is about 2 months), I would be heading back to school. Secondly, the cost in training me would go to waste since I am not going to be in the city for the rest of the school year to intern or work. She did say she'll be more than happy to have me once I graduate. But I don't know if I'll return to a location that didn't give me a chance to begin with, once I graduate.
 
Thank you all for your advice. I guess I'll talk to the pharmacy directors first and if it doesn't work out, I'll just wait for intern opportunities to come once I'm in school.
 
Thank you all for your advice. I guess I'll talk to the pharmacy directors first and if it doesn't work out, I'll just wait for intern opportunities to come once I'm in school.

Keep calling the directors...call everyone. Call them often. Call em every month. Make sure they have your contact info.