How do programs choose who to invite to interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcdior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do PD's really look at each and every applicant?
or is usually someone else who screens them and forward them to PD to decide?

Members don't see this ad.

Download the NRMP program directors survey. Its free on their site. Informative

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it's program dependent, but usual filters are things like Step 1 scores, Step 2CK/CS sometimes, US citizenship/green card/visa status. But really, a program can filter however they like.

Check out the NRMP Program Director's Survey (2016).

For competitive ones I believe they filter based on school as well, ie dont want to invite too many people from the same school.

Are you just curious about the process or is there some more specific question you are really wondering about?

We get literally over 1500 applications for our large anesthesiology program. It's impossible to review all of them in depth, plus our PD has a full clinical schedule. We have to employ minimum filters as a first line.

Reactions: 1 users
I think home address plays a huge role in invites .. most of the IV I got were around my home state even though I applied to programs everywhere.

I think home address plays a huge role in invites .. most of the IV I got were around my home state even though I applied to programs everywhere.

Oh, not necessarily. I'm from Pennsylvania, and when I was applying for residency, my interviews were all over the place. I got a ton of them in the South for some reason. Same thing when I was applying for fellowship.

Oh, not necessarily. I'm from Pennsylvania, and when I was applying for residency, my interviews were all over the place. I got a ton of them in the South for some reason. Same thing when I was applying for fellowship.

For some reason, I got tons from my home state

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Are you just curious about the process or is there some more specific question you are really wondering about?

i'm just curious if its the case that the PD hand picks all the applicants he/she wants to interview, because there were 1 or 2 cases during the interview day the PD gave me the "why the F are you even here" vibe, which was kinda odd for me, thinking "if you didn't want me here why did you invite me in the first place?"

i'm just curious if its the case that the PD hand picks all the applicants he/she wants to interview, because there were 1 or 2 cases during the interview day the PD gave me the "why the F are you even here" vibe, which was kinda odd for me, thinking "if you didn't want me here why did you invite me in the first place?"

I feel comfortable speaking for most programs here - if they are interviewing you (especially if it isn't your home program), then you have your foot at least in the door and they are moderately interested in what you have to say and learning more about you. Most programs get way too many applicants to interview people at random - we have a limited number of spots and want to fill them with legitimate candidates. Not every PD or physician is super personable - I suspect you might have misinterpreted his or her body language.

Reactions: 1 user