How geographically distant do programs have to be in order to justify transferring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qpworueury

Probationary Status
Reaction score
Title

Members don't see this ad.

More than a stone’s throw by way of the crow’s flight.

(Give us more to work with and you’ll get better advice.)

Reactions: 1 user
Anywhere geographically in the direction of your family that has an open spot and is “better” than your current program that you apparently hate despite not working a day there and is willing to overlook the fact that you said that to their face.

As always context is important: Planning a transfer

As previously discussed, focus on being a good resident and worry about a transfer when/if it is possible.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Anywhere geographically in the direction of your family that has an open spot and is “better” than your current program that you apparently hate despite not working a day there and is willing to overlook the fact that you said that to their face.

As always context is important: Planning a transfer

As previously discussed, focus on being a good resident and worry about a transfer when/if it is possible.
Pm'd you

Last edited:
As stated above, if the program is closer to immediate family (wife/husband, children, or perhaps a dying/frail parent who needs support), that would be an important consideration. Distance in of itself is immaterial, aside from perhaps no program in the same city would consider a residency transfer without a very compelling reason.

However, I would encourage you to stop posting on SDN. Based on your prior posts you appear to be unteachable, unaware of your shortcommings, and ungrateful for the massive breaks you've been given. Your prior escapades and posts alone would be enough for every kind-hearted PD I know to decide it's better to cancel your contract and be short a resident.

Again, please keep your head down, be thankful you still have your spot and didn't get kicked out already due to your prior escapades, and finish your advanced program. If you lie about your reason for transferring and if you initiate a transfer without consulting your current program first, things will go very, very badly, and you'll end up with nothing.

Note all this (your SDN posts) can/will be used as evidence against you for any professionalism issues at your program. I would not be surprised if you advanced PD's have saved copies of your prior threads and have them in your file already.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Sad George Costanza GIF

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
As stated above, if the program is closer to immediate family (wife/husband, children, or perhaps a dying/frail parent who needs support), that would be an important consideration. Distance in of itself is immaterial, aside from perhaps no program in the same city would consider a residency transfer without a very compelling reason.

However, I would encourage you to stop posting on SDN. Based on your prior posts you appear to be unteachable, unaware of your shortcommings, and ungrateful for the massive breaks you've been given. Your prior escapades and posts alone would be enough for every kind-hearted PD I know to decide it's better to cancel your contract and be short a resident.

Again, please keep your head down, be thankful you still have your spot and didn't get kicked out already due to your prior escapades, and finish your advanced program. If you lie about your reason for transferring and if you initiate a transfer without consulting your current program first, things will go very, very badly, and you'll end up with nothing.

Note all this (your SDN posts) can/will be used as evidence against you for any professionalism issues at your program. I would not be surprised if you advanced PD's have saved copies of your prior threads and have them in your file already.
Thanks! This is what I was looking for

In residency probably doesn't matter. You just need to have both PD be in agreement for this, and since nobody wants to have an unhappy resident, they will probably both agree

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
In residency probably doesn't matter. You just need to have both PD be in agreement for this, and since nobody wants to have an unhappy resident, they will probably both agree
In an ideal world, this might be how it works, but in our world it usually doesn’t go this way.

Also, read up on the background of OP’s situation. It’s nuts. This isn’t a “normal” residency transfer situation.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
In an ideal world, this might be how it works, but in our world it usually doesn’t go this way.

Also, read up on the background of OP’s situation. It’s nuts. This isn’t a “normal” residency transfer situation.
Oh, I just looked back. I remember this guy. This guy really has the gull to try to transfer out after what he did. I'd say he has no hope transferring. If I were the PD, I wouldn't burn professional bridges by sending this guy to another place. I would definitely put him in a ****box if he tried to do it

If this were just a nice average resident trying to transfer to be close to family/gf, I think there would have been an opportunity to do so. This guy? No way

• Love

Why do you say in an ideal world it would work? Vs in our world

Why do you say in an ideal world it would work? Vs in our world

In an ideal world, programs would be able to let unhappy residents go and be happier somewhere else. (presuming they are qualifed and desirable to other programs).

In the real world, programs have coverage considerations which supercede an individual resident's unhappiness. Heck, the coverage considerations also supercede the program's unhappiness with certain residents in many cases.

Say for example, your program wanted to fire you at day 46. That would be to the detriment of all your classmates coverage-wise, and possibly other classes in the program. It's the same effect as if you transferred at day 46. The only difference is the program is weighing the effect on the remaining residents while you (according to your prior thread) are not.

In an ideal world, programs would be able to let unhappy residents go and be happier somewhere else. (presuming they are qualifed and desirable to other programs).

In the real world, programs have coverage considerations which supercede an individual resident's unhappiness. Heck, the coverage considerations also supercede the program's unhappiness with certain residents in many cases.

Say for example, your program wanted to fire you at day 46. That would be to the detriment of all your classmates coverage-wise, and possibly other classes in the program. It's the same effect as if you transferred at day 46. The only difference is the program is weighing the effect on the remaining residents while you (according to your prior thread) are not.
What specialities are more/less likely to allow residents to transfer based on coverage concerns?

None. They all require coverage for their respective areas, be it hospital or clinic.
This is trash. I'm basically stuck here then. Cool thanks. I don't understand why this is the case. It's not that hard to find someone else.

• Haha
This is trash. I'm basically stuck here then. Cool thanks. I don't understand why this is the case. It's not that hard to find someone else.
It actually is hard to find someone else, with that "someone else" being a quality applicant, not just anyone off the street.

Reactions: 3 users
It actually is hard to find someone else, with that "someone else" being a quality applicant, not just anyone off the street.
I know several IMGs that didn't match and are looking for a spot. Do you think I could propose me leaving and then taking my spot?

I know several IMGs that didn't match and are looking for a spot. Do you think I could propose me leaving and then taking my spot?

Dude.

Just stop. Seriously, stop.

Your program is so terrible that you literally tried to switch out last year, a year before you even started, but it's fine for an IMG who didn't match?

How about being grateful for what you have and trying to make the best of it? Why is that option not on the table at all?

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Dude.

Your program is so terrible that you literally tried to switch out last year, a year before you even started, but it's fine for an IMG who didn't match?

How about being grateful for what you have and trying to make the best of it? Why is that option not on the table at all?

Because he’s a very special flower and better than everyone else and deserves the “very best” training institution unlike all the losers who are his new colleagues. I’m sure it’s going great and everyone agrees he’s too good for them.

Dude.

I have tried to be grateful but it's not very enjoyable for me. Maybe someone else would be happy here but it's just not for me. I'm still putting 100% in daily though

There is a reason many people did not match. A program doesn't want to just plug a warm body into a spot. Having a bad resident can sometimes be worse than having no resident.

We get that you are unhappy with your match location. You haven't even given them a fair shake and you are doing everything you can to try and run away as soon as possible. It looks bad for you. The bridges you are currently on are still smoldering and it won't take much for them to reignite. Tread carefully.

I have tried to be grateful but it's not very enjoyable for me. Maybe someone else would be happy here but it's just not for me. I'm still putting 100% in daily though

If you want to hate the program, you will hate it. If you want to like it, well, maybe you will. It's time to make an attitude adjustment.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
You’re not… you can quit day 46… but then that would prolly mean you would need to find something else to do for a living.

• Haha
Whatever you do, don't try to make things better by "filling your spot". You have no idea what the program is looking for. This would similar to breaking up with a partner, and trying to make it better by telling them whom they should date.

If you leave, it's the program's job to refill your spot. It is a bit of a circular logic problem, since your exit leaving an unfilled spot will perhaps negatively impact their opinion of you. But there's nothing you can do about that.

As previusly mentioned, the most likely outcome is that you complete one year there, and try to find a position starting in July for the next PGY year. Most programs that consider you will want to speak with your current program, so best to stay on as good of terms as possible.

Reactions: 4 users
Whatever you do, don't try to make things better by "filling your spot". You have no idea what the program is looking for. This would similar to breaking up with a partner, and trying to make it better by telling them whom they should date.

If you leave, it's the program's job to refill your spot. It is a bit of a circular logic problem, since your exit leaving an unfilled spot will perhaps negatively impact their opinion of you. But there's nothing you can do about that.

As previusly mentioned, the most likely outcome is that you complete one year there, and try to find a position starting in July for the next PGY year. Most programs that consider you will want to speak with your current program, so best to stay on as good of terms as possible.
Surprised by this. Thought most people in general would be an okay resident. Like it was said before, residents don't have to be remarkable. They just have to show up, work hard and be teachable. Anyone can fit that bill

• Haha
  • Okay...
Surprised by this. Thought most people in general would be an okay resident. Like it was said before, residents don't have to be remarkable. They just have to show up, work hard and be teachable. Anyone can fit that bill
Yeah apparently anyone but you …

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Most of what you post not only surprises me but actually confounds me. For someone who has graduated from med school,and has completed the first year of residency you seem to know very little about the GME process and what is expected.

• Haha
Yeah apparently anyone but you …
I have
Most of what you post not only surprises me but actually confounds me. For someone who has graduated from med school,and has completed the first year of residency you seem to know very little about the GME process and what is expected.
Well when 3 faculty members forget to show up on the first day it's not really a great impression.

You would be surprised how many people are not all those things...

• Haha
I have
Well when 3 faculty members forget to show up on the first day it's not really a great impression.

Were they on vacation? I don't even understand why this matters. Do you work with a bunch of faculty at the same time who all didn't show up?

In my case, I matched to a residency program I had never heard of before I checked a box on ERAS in a location I had never been to before. I stayed at a hotel for the interview down the street that turned out to be a notorious place and got solicited by a prostitute.

I put it in the middle of my rank list and somehow matched there. The chair and vice chair were both fired between the time I matched there and the time I started. The department kind of drifted rudderless with an interim chair who actively hated the place for most of the residency.

My first day of residency (outpatient specialty) I saw 3 patients from 8:00 - 9:30 while waiting for the attending to come in.

The attending walks in at 10:00 AM, and the first thing out of their mouth is: "I told those ****ers not to put any patients on my schedule before 10 AM. What do you think of this place? It doesn't matter because it sucks. Don't ever work here."

I was a successful resident.

I moved on after I graduated.

If you are for real and not just trolling, I would recommend some counseling.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
If anyone has anything to add to answer the original question about geography, feel free to add that here.

As entertaining as it is to watch the circuitous discussions and justifications, etc, the OP already has 2 threads encouraging them on how to make the best of a crappy situation and the process for how/when to pursue a transfer if the opportunity presents itself. I doubt that a third thread will drive these points home more effectively than the first two. At some point the OP is either going to learn those lessons for themselves, or do something foolish that gets them terminated.

If anyone has anything to add to answer the original question about geography, feel free to add that here.

As entertaining as it is to watch the circuitous discussions and justifications, etc, the OP already has 2 threads encouraging them on how to make the best of a crappy situation and the process for how/when to pursue a transfer if the opportunity presents itself. I doubt that a third thread will drive these points home more effectively than the first two. At some point the OP is either going to learn those lessons for themselves, or do something foolish that gets them terminated.
What's that saying about insanity? Doing the same thing....

Were they on vacation? I don't even understand why this matters. Do you work with a bunch of faculty at the same time who all didn't show up?

In my case, I matched to a residency program I had never heard of before I checked a box on ERAS in a location I had never been to before. I stayed at a hotel for the interview down the street that turned out to be a notorious place and got solicited by a prostitute.

I put it in the middle of my rank list and somehow matched there. The chair and vice chair were both fired between the time I matched there and the time I started. The department kind of drifted rudderless with an interim chair who actively hated the place for most of the residency.

My first day of residency (outpatient specialty) I saw 3 patients from 8:00 - 9:30 while waiting for the attending to come in.

The attending walks in at 10:00 AM, and the first thing out of their mouth is: "I told those ****ers not to put any patients on my schedule before 10 AM. What do you think of this place? It doesn't matter because it sucks. Don't ever work here."

I was a successful resident.

I moved on after I graduated.

If you are for real and not just trolling, I would recommend some counseling.
I hear you. But I was actually competitive and not a run-of-the mill candidate

• Okay...
  • Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
I hear you. But I was actually competitive and not a run-of-the mill candidate
And we're done. OP, please refer to the prior threads for why this is irrelevant at this point. FWIW, I assure you the poster that you quoted was also competitive and not a run-of-the-mill candidate.

Good luck to you in finding happiness during residency, either at your current program or should you manage to find a favorable transfer.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.