HOW do programs make their rank list????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hard24Get

The black sleepymed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea why I couldn't find a thread with this that had actually been answered, but here goes: what do programs use to make their ROL? I noticed a sheet at 2 places that included board scores, etc. I am wondering if all programs use a point system, where the interview is only a portion, or what? In a related issue, how much of a crapshoot can getting into a program you received an interview at be (ie, I hear people saying - it's my #1, even though it's a long shot)? Please help clarify this because I am obsessed. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I've also been trying to obtain info regarding this, because my #1 program says that I'm on their rank list, but they don't know where I am on their rank list at this time - I don't know how far to take this...

It would be violation of the rules for a program to tell you specifically where you rank, but they can hint such as "you are on the rank list," or "you will behighly ranked." Most, if not all, programs use some form of a point system to determine their rank list. The scores are based on grades (or performance in schools without grades), board scores, LORs, Dean's letter, and interview. Do not brush off the value of the interview, or of the pre-interview resident get together as these can make or break your place on the list. I've seen some candidates with stellar grades and scores that did not make the list because they can across as arrogant at either the dinner or during interviews, or treated the interview as an evil necessity and didn't really want to be there. Do not let this freak you out, or make you change your own ROL. List the programs based on where you want to go, not who you think will rank you!!!

It would be violation of the rules for a program to tell you specifically where you rank, but they can hint such as "you are on the rank list," or "you will behighly ranked."

This is wrong. They can tell you anything they want, including exactly where you are on their ROL. It's unlikely that they will do so but there's nothing to prevent them from doing it. They cannot however ask you where you plan to rank them, and vice versa.

The reason there is no answer to this is because there is no answer to this. Every program will have a different system of ranking candidates and will weight certain parts of the application more than another program would. Some might use a high step I score to put you high up. Others because you have a strong connection to the program (you did a rotation and impressed a couple of attendings, for example). Others because you have a strong research focus. Or maybe you grew up in the same city. It varies.

There are probably some programs that have a very scientific and logical approach which weights board score, grades, research, references, interview performance, and other findings on a scale and comes up with a total score. There are probably just as many who go by something decidedly less scientific.

The point is not to worry about it. Your application is complete. Your interview is complete. You can't change any of this. Rank the programs in the order YOU WANT and let that be it. You do not gain any advantage by knowing how a program ranks you. If you want to go there and they rank you highly enough, you will go there. If you want to go there and they do not rank you high enough, you will not go there. You cannot "game" the match.

The reason there is no answer to this is because there is no answer to this.

:laugh:. Fair enough. But I wasn't trying to "game" the match (my ROL's already certified), just giving my neurotic, match-obsessed mind something to pointlessly calculate and think about so the rest of me can focus on what I need to do to graduate! :)

thanks everyone for answering. I'm asking my question because I'm considering dropping out of the AOA match, where I know I would match for sure. With the allopathic match, I only had a few interviews, all of them went well, but they are still too few, so you can see why I'm obsessing over this.... any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

If you are in both the AOA and NRMP match - what if you match at 2 places : one allopathic and one osteopathic?

If you are in both the AOA and NRMP match - what if you match at 2 places : one allopathic and one osteopathic?

I believe the AOA Match occurs first. If you match there, you are required to pull out of the NRMP Match.

I believe the AOA Match occurs first. If you match there, you are required to pull out of the NRMP Match.

From the NRMP website:

Applicants who participate in the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Match are prohibited from participating in the NRMP Match for concurrent NRMP positions. The earlier schedule of the AOA Match allows applicants to compete for an osteopathic position and, if unsuccessful, continue to participate in the NRMP. The AOA informs the NRMP of the dual participants who have matched into an osteopathic program, and those individuals are withdrawn automatically from the NRMP Match for concurrent year PGY-1 and PGY-2 positions.

Withdrawal is automatic. You cannot match in both systems.