Jul 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm in the midst of a DIY post-bacc. Can anyone provide a definitive answer for whether Organic Chemistry 1 with lab and Organic Chemistry 2 with lab at UCLA Extension (QUARTER system) will meet admissions requirements for med schools that require 2 SEMESTERS or 8 UNITS of O Chem? Same question for Physics? For what it's worth, UCLA Extension's O Chem lecture is "4 units" and "40 contact hours" the lab is "3 units" and "40 contact hours".

My other options would be take those classes online in semester format and risk having them not count because they're online, or try to get into one of the local (severely impacted - long wait lists) community colleges and risk being frowned-upon for taking those classes at CC vs. 4 year university.

Suggestions??

Both my undergrad and grad school were semester format so I'm really lost here. Thanks in advance for any help. My understanding is that generally, a quarter unit is 0.67% of a semester unit.

ill be a doc soon

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm in the midst of a DIY post-bacc. Can anyone provide a definitive answer for whether Organic Chemistry 1 with lab and Organic Chemistry 2 with lab at UCLA Extension (QUARTER system) will meet admissions requirements for med schools that require 2 SEMESTERS or 8 UNITS of O Chem? Same question for Physics? For what it's worth, UCLA Extension's O Chem lecture is "4 units" and "40 contact hours" the lab is "3 units" and "40 contact hours".

My other options would be take those classes online in semester format and risk having them not count because they're online, or try to get into one of the local (severely impacted - long wait lists) community colleges and risk being frowned-upon for taking those classes at CC vs. 4 year university.

Suggestions??

Both my undergrad and grad school were semester format so I'm really lost here. Thanks in advance for any help. My understanding is that generally, a quarter unit is 0.67% of a semester unit.
Chem 14 or 30 series?
For the 14 series: 14C+CL and 14D+DL will fulfill the o chem requirements.
For the 30 series: 30A,B,C + 30BL will fulfill the o chem requirements.

Physics:
Take the full Physics 6 series with lab

Dont take any prereqs online. If you need to, taking classes at CCs would be OK but make sure you ace them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cali_NP_to_MD
OP
Cali_NP_to_MD
Jul 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Chem 14 or 30 series?
For the 14 series: 14C+CL and 14D+DL will fulfill the o chem requirements.
For the 30 series: 30A,B,C + 30BL will fulfill the o chem requirements.

Physics:
Take the full Physics 6 series.

Dont take any prereqs online. If you need to, taking classes at CCs would be OK but make sure you ace them.
Chem 14 series. The other series (30) is "retired". There's only A, B with lab, and C with lab. Only 14B and C are organic chemistry. 14A appears to be Gen Chem.

Planning to take the full physics series.

Thank you!

About the Ads

ill be a doc soon

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Chem 14 series. The other series (30) is "retired". There's only A, B with lab, and C with lab. Only 14B and C are organic chemistry. 14A appears to be Gen Chem.

Planning to take the full physics series.

Thank you!
What school did you take general chemistry at?

OP
Cali_NP_to_MD
Jul 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh but I got a C (low point in life when I wasn't going to class) and retook it at a reputable community college later and got an A. I forgot about the retake.

ill be a doc soon

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 27, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
The problem with taking the 14 series is that technically, 14a and b are mostly general chemistry (with the end of 14b introducing organic chemistry structure). If you do take 14b youll find its mostly review until the last week or two. 14D is organic chemistry as well (I know because I went to UCLA). If possible, it would be better to take O chem at another school because UCLA's system is all screwed up lol.

OP
Cali_NP_to_MD
Jul 10, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Anyone else have input? UCLA extension program doesn't offer Chem 14D which is the only way I'd get 3 quarters of Organic Chemistry...I was thinking of taking Intro to Organic Chemistry online with UC Berkeley extension then UCLA extension Chem 14B and 14C with labs - would that be enough?

About the Ads