how do related alumnae affect admissions?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by brutus, Oct 18, 2002.

1. brutus

brutus Senior Member

i'm a california resident who has applied to all the UCs. i have only received a secondary from uc irvine. my grandfather went to graduate school at uc davis and is a somewhat prominent scientist. since there is no way davis would know that, i guess they just don't take that kind of thing into consideration? i was really hoping it would hold some sway, but i guess not!

does anyone know if med schools take this into account? i know some of my secondaries asked for related alumnae information. should i write to UC?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey

I wrote about 13 letters to schools. Got many responses. One adcom wrote back and told me another adcom was from my home state. I then called and kept calling and got positive feedback and one adcom told me I'd done everything she'd requested and granted me an interview. This is for post-bacc but I think it can work for med too.

Make yourself stand out.

4. ::Seabass::

::Seabass:: bringing burkas back!

I think family connections increase your chances of getting an interview dramatically. However, many who get invited for interview aren't seriously being consider, just offered an interview as a formality.