1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

how do related alumnae affect admissions?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by brutus, Oct 18, 2002.

1. brutus

brutus Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm a california resident who has applied to all the UCs. i have only received a secondary from uc irvine. my grandfather went to graduate school at uc davis and is a somewhat prominent scientist. since there is no way davis would know that, i guess they just don't take that kind of thing into consideration? i was really hoping it would hold some sway, but i guess not!

does anyone know if med schools take this into account? i know some of my secondaries asked for related alumnae information. should i write to UC?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey
    7+ Year Member

I wrote about 13 letters to schools. Got many responses. One adcom wrote back and told me another adcom was from my home state. I then called and kept calling and got positive feedback and one adcom told me I'd done everything she'd requested and granted me an interview. This is for post-bacc but I think it can work for med too.

Make yourself stand out.

4. ::Seabass::

::Seabass:: bringing burkas back!
    7+ Year Member

I think family connections increase your chances of getting an interview dramatically. However, many who get invited for interview aren't seriously being consider, just offered an interview as a formality.