How do schools inform you regarding OAT retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyelina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, please please help me out here.
I want to know, how do schools let you know that you should retake the OAT?
I am assuming they email you?
but is it possible that they invite you for an interview and THEN inform you after the interview?
My stats are just really average and my OAT score are not the best..
my application got verified on Sept 5th, and Salus sent me an email on Sep 13 saying that the only unfilled req in my app so far was not enough shadowing hours. So I am working on that right now.
But my question is, lets say if they had any objection on my OAT scores, wouldn't they let me know in that same email?
Is it safe to assume that the only thing I need now is more shadowing hours?
please please reply guys,
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email from SCO telling me my OAT was low for their school and they recommended me retake it. I also got a call from Mike Robertson, the admissione director and he implied that I have no chance of getting into SCO which crushed me. I was planning on retaking it, but I got 5 interview calls from other schools. So I just gave up on SCO even though that was my dream school

Reactions: 1 user
but is it possible that they invite you for an interview and THEN inform you after the interview?
my application got verified on Sept 5th, and Salus sent me an email on Sep 13 saying that the only unfilled req in my app so far was not enough shadowing hours. So I am working on that right now.
But my question is, lets say if they had any objection on my OAT scores, wouldn't they let me know in that same email?
Thank you

They will inform you via email if they believe that's the only weak part of your application, which is what happened with me. I've heard that PCO has accepted people before even taking the OAT and they wait on those scores, while many others will send interview invites before they tell anyone to retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from SCO telling me my OAT was low for their school and they recommended me retake it. I also got a call from Mike Robertson, the admissione director and he implied that I have no chance of getting into SCO which crushed me. I was planning on retaking it, but I got 5 interview calls from other schools. So I just gave up on SCO even though that was my dream school
yes, i have been following the Class of 2022 thread & I am aware that you applied to many other schools. I am very happy for you and you should be proud of yourself!
The thing with me though is that I dont have that many financial resources to apply to many schools :( hence all my hopes are sticking to this one one school right now.

They will inform you via email if they believe that's the only weak part of your application, which is what happened with me. I've heard that PCO has accepted people before even taking the OAT and they wait on those scores, while many others will send interview invites before they tell anyone to retake.
That makes me feel sooo much better!, thanks for the reply.
You see, just the idea of re-taking this exam scares me like crazy!
and it scares me even more to think of getting the interview and THEN finding out that I should re-take it lol
so i guess my initial assumption was correct regrading the fact that they would have emailed me by now if my scores were a problem.

yes, i have been following the Class of 2022 thread & I am aware that you applied to many other schools. I am very happy for you and you should be proud of yourself!
The thing with me though is that I dont have that many financial resources to apply to many schools :( hence all my hopes are sticking to this one one school right now.

I'm not trying to sound mean, but if you really want to get into an optometry school don't let finances be your excuse as to why you didn't get in. You have to look at it as an investment, so take out a loan or put it on a credit card or something. If you want a better chance of getting in to a school, you have to apply to more places. It would suck to look back and see all the hard work you put into undergrad and the OAT and not get into anywhere because you didn't want to spend the money to apply to other places.

I'm not trying to sound mean, but if you really want to get into an optometry school don't let finances be your excuse as to why you didn't get in. You have to look at it as an investment, so take out a loan or put it on a credit card or something. If you want a better chance of getting in to a school, you have to apply to more places. It would suck to look back and see all the hard work you put into undergrad and the OAT and not get into anywhere because you didn't want to spend the money to apply to other places.
Yes, you are 100% right! & after thinking about it for so long, I have decided to apply to more schools this week.
And at the same time I really wana know the answer from as many people as possible regarding OAT retake, so i can prepare myself for whatever comes next

Thank you

My sister had to retake her OATs (she currently attends Salus with me). She had the interview beforehand and did great. A few weeks after the interview, she received a letter that she was accepted as long as she retakes the OATs and gets a higher score in organic chemistry. For me, I was accepted as long as I completed all of the required courses before I graduated, which was not a problem since I was already enrolled in those courses for my final semester at my undergrad institution. So having to retake the OATs (from my sister's experience), means that you will most likely have provisional acceptance, and this will be noted by a letter in the mail.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you

Hey I actually got called by ICO and was asked to retake the OAT, I said no problem and I would do anything to help myself get into optometry school. Don't be afraid or upset...every time you have an opportunity to redo something you have an opportunity to learn more whether its about yourself or about the subjects! Also everything happens for a reason so look for the silver lining and push forward!

Hey I actually got called by ICO and was asked to retake the OAT, I said no problem and I would do anything to help myself get into optometry school. Don't be afraid or upset...every time you have an opportunity to redo something you have an opportunity to learn more whether its about yourself or about the subjects! Also everything happens for a reason so look for the silver lining and push forward!

Hi I was just wondering what your OAT scores were the first time around for ICO? Did they tell you that if you retook and got higher scores youd automatically get an acceptance? Or was this before an interview

Hi I was just wondering what your OAT scores were the first time around for ICO? Did they tell you that if you retook and got higher scores youd automatically get an acceptance? Or was this before an interview

Hello!! Well unfortunately this came with no offer, just a request for me to retake the OAT so that they could see my new scores and for me to likewise take Anatomy 2. My OAT score was a 310! Ill be retaking it in Jan!

Thank you

How many shadowing hours does Salus require?

My sister had to retake her OATs (she currently attends Salus with me). She had the interview beforehand and did great. A few weeks after the interview, she received a letter that she was accepted as long as she retakes the OATs and gets a higher score in organic chemistry. For me, I was accepted as long as I completed all of the required courses before I graduated, which was not a problem since I was already enrolled in those courses for my final semester at my undergrad institution. So having to retake the OATs (from my sister's experience), means that you will most likely have provisional acceptance, and this will be noted by a letter in the mail.

What were your sisters OAT scores first time around?

Hello!! Well unfortunately this came with no offer, just a request for me to retake the OAT so that they could see my new scores and for me to likewise take Anatomy 2. My OAT score was a 310! Ill be retaking it in Jan!

Hi Jmizz..... Did you finally end up retaking the oat? I'm in a very similar situation right now. I got a provisional acceptance, so I have to retake the oat, I was just crushed to hear that.....but I guess I will give it another try..... I just wanted to know what did you end up doing... and what materials did you used to study this time? thankkkkkksss...

hey you!!! I retake it on Saturday, not feeling so hot about it BUT I was accepted into one school so at least no matter what my desired future can continue. Wish me luck! I am using the Kaplan 2009-2010 OAT practice test book( has 2 sets of practice problems for each subject with explanations for answers and 2 practice tests). Also I bought Kaplan Mcat flashcards, they cost me about 6 dollars on amazon and come with an app I have been able to use while at work.
If you dm me I can talk to you some more!! Eye wish you the best of luck my friend! Hey provisional acceptance is a huge achievement, please do not discourage yourself there are so many students who would love to just hear that, take it and run with it. Its not an obstacle, its part of your journey and a learning experience. I believe in you!