How do the Mayo programs compare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamezuva

Have Faith
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Titles says it all! There's Rochester, Jacksonville, and Scottsdale

Members don't see this ad.

Trained at Mayo Rochester.

OUTSTANDING program!!! The best medicine program by far (I looked at UT Southwest/U mich/MGH/Johns hop). Very supportive and nonmalignent enviroment. Once you finish, you get your pick of fellowships.

Disadv: ROCHESTER is a dump and if u are single, u are in trouble.

studmuffin2005 said:

OUTSTANDING program!!! The best medicine program by far (I looked at UT Southwest/U mich/MGH/Johns hop). Very supportive and nonmalignent enviroment. Once you finish, you get your pick of fellowships.

:( I'm single :(

Hmm..know anything about the other two Mayo programs?? I'd think you'd heard *something* considering you trained at one

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

I trained at Mayo Roch, and it's indeed excellent. I've rotated once in Scottsdale. The program is very small (8/y, my guess), but it is also good. Of course the place is better, but the Rochester campus is awesome.

Consider getting an elective if you're considering coming to Mayo. You'd have a feel about the program/environment.

lf

Do those who have trained at Mayo have any thoughts on those who say Mayo is a bad place to train because you have no autonomy? I have heard that at the "WFMC" (World famous mayo clinic), no one wants resident care so you just watch as the hotshot staff do the work. Replies? Any any more details on the ins and outs of the program would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

AMPAD said:
Do those who have trained at Mayo have any thoughts on those who say Mayo is a bad place to train because you have no autonomy? I have heard that at the "WFMC" (World famous mayo clinic), no one wants resident care so you just watch as the hotshot staff do the work. Replies? Any any more details on the ins and outs of the program would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

A Mayo resident/ex-resident commented on that issue in another thread whereby he/she said that that perception was wrong and that you have a lot of autonomy at Mayo

Are there a lot admissions from the ER at Mayo Rochester?

The Mayo system is actually resident run, so you do a ton by yourself. It seems the consultants are there to do just that, consult with you and lead you along. I did a month in the ED there and loved it, by far my best month as a medical student. I would have went to Rochester if not for many factors, none to do with the hospital OR the town. And yes, there are a lot of admits through the ED. It seems there are not too many direct admits from outside hospitals, they are sent to the ED to be evaluated then sent on if needed. I would say we probably have from 10-15 admits from the ED per shift per ED area (there are 3 there).

Midwest,
Is this the former medic who I had a glass of wine with at the piano bar, prior to your leaving town?

You know what they call a basement full of paramedics?

A whine cellar...

If so, hope all is well. A

I don't know if I am the one you are thinking of. I did go out with a bunch of the residents and students a few times the last week I was over there. Are you in the ER program? I was there in September if that helps ring any bells..
W

and yes, things are going great..... :)

Midwest,
Initials PSW?

Where were you a midwest medic?

I was a medic in Iowa, but was living in St. Louis when I came to Mayo.....and initials WJD...

My Bad, Medic
Thought you were another EM resident who worked streets first.
Take care

Midwest Medic said:
And yes, there are a lot of admits through the ED. It seems there are not too many direct admits from outside hospitals, they are sent to the ED to be evaluated then sent on if needed. I would say we probably have from 10-15 admits from the ED per shift per ED area (there are 3 there).

There are too many ER admits and many of these patients would not be admitted in other large hospitals. The ER serves more or less as a triage center. Much of real medicine happens upstairs.

Glad you think that.....what experiences do you have at Mayo?

studmuffin2005 said:

Is it that bad for singles? Is there much social interaction between residents in different specialties?
How come Rochester is a dump? Is it just that there isn't much to do, or is it actually a crappy town?
What are the accommodation options like for residents & fellows? Can you rent apartments within walking distance from the hospital?
Thanks

Retinamark said:
Is it that bad for singles? Is there much social interaction between residents in different specialties?
How come Rochester is a dump? Is it just that there isn't much to do, or is it actually a crappy town?
What are the accommodation options like for residents & fellows? Can you rent apartments within walking distance from the hospital?
Thanks

Majoruty of residents (>70%) are married and most Rochester people are married or divorced!!! ROchester has no social/night life whatsoever!! It has your basic resturants but only 1 real bar!! If u like to hang out at night or go clubbin or meeting people, look elsewhere.
If u want a top notch program and are willing to tough-it out for 3-4 yrs, Mayo is for u!

I agree that Mayo is a truely wonderful place that has led to how we practice medicine today, however as a training program it is really quaternary care, meaning the bread and butter is basically lost, and many of the patients are referred with a diagnosis in place, so the work up is often just repeated, and the patients are flogged pretty heavily.

It isn't the most competitive program I am guessing solely on location and not on any other criteria, it is readily obtainable for an average student from a US medical school, or above average student from DO or foreign school.

I give props to anyone who could live in MN.
:)

Golytely, have you actually worked in the program? This "more zebras than horses" viewpoint is completely wrong about the Rochester Medicine program. It's true that you do see more rare cases here--1% of cases at most other places, about 5-10% here. If you spend a month on the Gen Med service here, you see that we get plenty of "bread and butter", and just enough of the rare stuff to make the program that much more interesting. Honestly, how many diabetic foot ulcers do I need to see before I figure out what to do for them? On the other hand, the specialty clinics and some of the surgical services do tend to see a larger proportion of rare cases.

There are shortcomings in the program, though. Here, you have a special team for everything--IVs, foleys, glucose/insulin management, and not to mention an endless supply of consult services, which you are strongly encouraged to use. It's easy for one to get in the habit of deferring a lot of tasks that we should be learning.

As for the town of Rochester, it's a great place to live, in my (married, with kids) opinion. Fairly affordable homes, nice looking town, safe neighborhoods, as many restaurants as you would expect to find in a midwest town of this size, and OK weather (except for Nov-Mar). There are a few good places to go out for a drink on free evenings, but I can see how single folks would be very disappointed in the nightlife. The twin cities (MPLS/St. Paul) are only an hour away though, and there is plenty to do there. :thumbup:

Well, as someone who was fully impressed with Mayo last summer, I'd love it to be attainable for an average med student! :) I'm single and still think it's worth living in Rochester for - especially if you're doing medicine. It's not like you'll have that much of a life during residency anyway. I'm a little less convinced about peds though, and I'm starting to gravitate there so who knows.

butts-n-guts--

just wondering if you could elaborate on what you feel some of the weaknesses of the mayo program are. any info from an "insider" is greatly appreciated.