how do they calculate gpa with a 2nd degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bookmaven

Dead is too old.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the 2nd degree GPA seperate, or are all undergrad credits calculated together?

Members don't see this ad.

do they group undergrad coursework separate from graduate coursework
regardless of your status?

i.e. what if i took graduate courses as an undergraduate and undergraduate
courses as a graduate?

thanks very much.

shaun

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduate coursework is separate from undergrad coursework regardless of when you take it.

The GPA for graduate classes is calculated separately from the GPA for undergraduate classes as is the GPA for post-bac classes. Grades from a second undergraduate degree are counted as post-bac grades (I actually argued with AMCAS about this...). Graduate classes taken at the undergraduate level are counted as undergraduate if they appear on an undergraduate transcript and graduate if they appear on a graduate transcript. The same goes for undergraduate classes taken at the graduate level (which count as graduate classes). Graduate classes taken as a post-bac are counted as undergraduate post-bac classes. (I actually have all of these situations on my transcript) All relevant classes taken at the undergraduate level, regardless of whether or not they are post-bac classes, factor into your science GPA. The science GPA classes are biology, chemistry, math and physics as defined by the title, not the subject, of the class. (AMCAS counted every class that had the words biology, chemistry, math and physics toward my science GPA, even a few that obviously didn't belong)

Sorry in advance for the dumb question .... but just to confirm, AMCAS will calculate separate cumulative science GPAs for undergraduate and graduate? Thanks...

Sorry...I see that they do now.

Sorry in advance for the dumb question .... but just to confirm, AMCAS will calculate separate cumulative science GPAs for undergraduate and graduate? Thanks...
No, they don't. All of your graduate classes, science or not are lumped together into your Graduate GPA. You get 3 GPAs: BCPM (Unndergrad. + Post-Bac. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math GPA,) Overall (undergrad. + Post-Bac Overall GPA,) Graduate (Everything Graduate GPA.)

So, if I take Biochemistry as a graduate course in Chemistry, is it counted in the science GPA?

So, if I take Biochemistry as a graduate course in Chemistry, is it counted in the science GPA?
No, if it is a graduate-level biochemistry course, it counts as part of the graduate GPA. If you take an undergraduate-level biochemistry course while pursuing a graduate degree, you can count that course as post-bac, and it will count towards your BCPM GPA.