How do they look at your grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MALA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question, I graduated college 10 years ago. Some classes I did ok, I was a business major and my gpa was nothing to write home about- about a 2.9. At the time, all I cared about was finishing college as fast as possible. I got a c+ in calculus-I took that back in '92.
Here's my questions:
-Should I retake calculus again and try to boost up my grade in it? Will I need the refresher for Pharm school?
-Will my Bus. Admin gpa be a very important factor in getting in?
-Or will my science pre-reqs hold the most weight in deciding if I'll be a good student for pharm school?

I picked up my old transcript and was quite horrified at what I saw!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, if you think I should pack it in and go make coconut necklaces on a beach instead- just say so!

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools won't accept grades (especially science grades) that are over 5 years old. I know for a fact that some schools won't even look at grades that old. For instance, if you got a 0.0 10 years ago, but retook the class last year and got a 3.5, they would only look at the 3.5. Sometimes it's possible to find a school that will accept some of that credit, but I suppose it's unlikely that you've finished your science pre-reqs if you were a business major. Even if the 2.9 was recent, I'd say that it's still possible to bring it up with your recent grades and show a pattern of improvement. Get that above a 3.0 and you should have a decent chance at some schools.

On the other hand, some schools do care. My Physics and Calculus classes are 20 years old, and those C's are being averaged into my GPA. So I guess it depends on the school. University of Florida counts them and averages in all scores, they do not have grade forgiveness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that pharmcas calculates GPA with the original and retake score for any class.
I too earned a C in calc 10 years ago. I did not retake the class, and it was accepted by MWU. It would be best to call the schools you are applying to and find out what they will and won't accept. But again, even if you retake the class, the original C will be used in calculating your GPA by pharmcas.

The school I want to go to uses Pharmcas, so I'm really shooting for A's with my pre-reqs this time- but if you average C's with A's and B+'s....uh! So when I put myself up against those 3.8ers -I'm really going to be bottom of the barrel pick.
Do you think being a Spanish female (oh yes try the minority card)might give one an edge??? Gosh- I really hate doing that- but with the competition to get into Pharm school- I'm desperate!!!

Not everybody can be a 3.8er- right? - come on average people raise your hand:clap:

Originally posted by MALA
Do you think being a Spanish female (oh yes try the minority card)might give one an edge??? Gosh- I really hate doing that- but with the competition to get into Pharm school- I'm desperate!!!

I'm confused, it sounds like you think it's wrong to "play the minority card". So why would you do it if you think it's wrong?
If being Spanish will help you get into pharmacy school, then the school uses a form of affirmative action. Affirmative action was enacted to aid those who may have had fewer opportunities than their Caucasian counterparts. So if you feel that the reason your grades are low is related to possible racism you experienced from professors or fewer opportunities to succeed in college, then by all means you should play "the minority card". However, in my opinion it wouldn't be fair if you haven't been mistreated and have had equal opportunities.

I have a unique situation in that many people think I'm Hispanic, yet I'm white. So does that mean I should be allowed to also play the minority card, since I am discriminated against sometimes even though I'm white?? It's a rhetorical question because there probably is no right answer, as is yours.

When I applied to University of Utah, their application stated, "The U of U College of Pharmacy is fully committed to policies of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity, and vigorouslypursues affirmative action... " Sounds to me like you would have a better chance being accepted at this college if you noted you were of Spanish decent.

Anyway good luck! Grades aren't everything, just do your best and make sure you have a well-rounded application including pharmacy experience (a must if your grades aren't so hot).

No, no- I do not feel discriminated against in ANY way whatsoever!! Those C's were all my own doing- I take full credit! I understand what Affirmative Action is and I'm hoping that it might be a way to help get in because of it. If there has to be a certain percentage of minorities, it may help. It may not-I don't know, but I'll try anything that will help me get accepted.

No, no- I do not feel discriminated against in ANY way whatsoever!! Those C's were all my own doing- I take full credit! I understand what Affirmative Action is and I'm hoping that it might be a way to help get in because of it. If there has to be a certain percentage of minorities, it may help. It may not-I don't know, but I'll try anything that will help me get accepted.

That is one of the most unprofessional statements I have ever read in this forum. If I were on your interview or admission committee, you would be axed just for taking unfair advantage of a system meant for people other than you. You need to think about possibly taking away a spot from a minority who really did have to overcome a lot to get where they are today. You are very sad and selfish.

? huh??? Amanda, really get over yourself-immediately!!!
This is a fun message board, it's informative and above all people are friendly on it. Since we can't speak to each other face to face, posts can be miscontrued.
As far as overcoming hurdles to get where I am, you know nothing about me or anyone else's life to be able to judge whether or not anyone is deserving of anything.

I did not blindly judge. My opinion is based on the fact that you said you never were discriminated against, got bad grades all on your own, but you are still willing to take advantage of A.A. because "I'll try anything that will help me get accepted." and "I'm desperate!!!"
How am I supposed to construe that? I don't mean to hurt your feelings, I'm only going off what you give us. If you would feel comfortable telling the admissions committee your true reasoning for listing Spanish decent on your app, then by all means go for it.

Oh, so you're saying that you are not allowed to be Spanish unless you've endured unfair or unequal treatment?
Whenever I fill out an application, I never fill out race, I leave it blank since it's always optional. However, if I answer that question on my pharm school application, I would like to know if I would fall into that 5% or whatever percent of the minority population that the college must accept.
I don't think there's a "reason" to be Spanish other than being born that way. If someone at the college asked me to explain why I'm Spanish, I think I would want to leave, and apply to another school that doesn't ask idiotic questions!

Affirmative action programs are designed to help people who come from a group that has been historically discriminated against, not individual people who have been discriminated against at some point in their lives even though it offers them some protection. To move it over into the individual protection would probably do more harm than good, and until that happens MALA would be perfectly in the right to accept any advantage that it gives her.

Oh, and you would fall under A.A. protection as well Amanda. You don't have to actually be in a protected group. If employers perceive you as a member of one then they can't discriminate against you based on that. Of course I'm only talking about those businesses and organizations that are bound by A.A. laws.

The school I want to go to uses Pharmcas, so I'm really shooting for A's with my pre-reqs this time- but if you average C's with A's and B+'s....uh! So when I put myself up against those 3.8ers -I'm really going to be bottom of the barrel pick.

Not everybody can be a 3.8er- right? - come on average people raise your hand:clap:

MALA, I am Hispanic....I think. Let's see, my mother's mother was Mexican (25%), my mother's father was White (25%), my father's mother was Mexican (25%), and my father's father was Italian (25%). So I am 50% Hispanic, 25% White (England), and 25% Italian, and my last name is Italian. I always check off Hispanic when asked, especially bc all the applications I've seen say __white(non-hispanic), so I cannot check there. But if I had the choice, I would check off __American. I don't like the sound of "other".

I don't know if being Hispanic helped me get into pharm school. I would hope not. I would like to think that my hard work and determination are the reasons I was accepted, not a label. My GPA is definitely not 3.8...it's 3.3 (science), 3.5 (overall). I've had to overcome huge obstacles because of stupid choices I made in my life when I was 18, but I wonder if I would have made those choices if I had a father in my life. I look white, and my interview was closed file, so I don't think my interviewers had access to that information. I don't want their pity. I would rather starve than eat their bread. But I don't think we are playing any card by just being ourselves.

I do think that knowing how to speak Spanish fluently is a HUGE asset to the pharmacy profession. In many areas where there is a shortage of pharmacists, there is also a large spanish-speaking population. You could help a lot of people who probably don't have health insurance either. Unfortunately, I don't speak spanish, but maybe you do. So you would definitely want to mention that in your apps/interviews. You'd have a much better connection with your patients without a translator in the middle.

Thanks Karma, I never ever check off race, it infuriates me because I don't think it should matter either. I believe in working hard too, (I put myself through college the first time and I'm doing it again). I want every opportunity that could possibly be offered to me because pharm school is sooooo competitive, I would be absolutely crushed if I didn't get in.
It's not like a regular college or university- the competition is really tough! And if it's that tough, I will use anything and everything I can in my favor to get in. I'm not talking illegal or despicable, good God I'm above that.
I'm saying I would like to use whatever is available to me that will tip the scales in my favor.
I can't imagine continuing in the gloomy corporate world, using stupid acronyms everday, putting in good years of my life, and then 10 years later get let go...that is the way of corp america these days- you don't work until retirement age at a company, they decide you make too much money and you're replaced with some 23 yr old for 1/2 your salary.
At that point I would be middle-aged and have to figure out how to start all over again- no thank you! The thought of not getting in really scares me because I don't know what I would do.
Enough on the soap box for me. +pity+

I believe in working hard too, (I put myself through college the first time and I'm doing it again).

You bring up a good point. Pharmacy school, and in particular private pharmacy school, is very expensive. Our tuition is about $24,000 per year, X3 years, +and undergrad loans/debt. Plus, most students need about 20k/year for rent/ins/car/books/etc. It's not uncommon to hear a graduating classmate talk about setting up his loan payments so he "only" pays $1200 per month for TEN YEARS (150k in loans!). Some people extend it over THIRTY YEARS, and they are still paying $500/month even then.
Then they tell us "not to take a job just because it pays well"? We find a little relief in the fact that the D.O.s here pay about 28,000/year X 4 years, + undergrad + living +getting paid jack for a residency for 3-5 years.

Working hard for a good GPA, volunteer work, and preparing for a good interview are more important than ethnicity will ever be. Do your best and you will get what you deserve.

This is not directed to anyone in particular, it's just my opinion:
I think that playing a "minority card" is unethical if your situation is bad because of your own mistakes. I am not a minority, and therefore I have never qualified for aid. When is the last time you saw an aid program especially for "middle class white girls"? It is just as difficult for me to get into and pay for pharm school as any one else, and I therefore have worked my a** off to have good grades and to be someone any pharm school would be proud to graduate.

In the end, hard work and good ethics will get you far in this field.

In a 'perfect' world everything u said would be true

Originally posted by illusions
In a 'perfect' world everything u said would be true

Cheers!