How do u afford to live while going F/T?

Started by MALA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MALA

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
Just a question. With Pharm school, I understand you need to go full-time because the coursework is intense. I'm not going to be staying in dorms (I'm a bit of an older student), so I would be looking for some sort of cheaper housing. I'm looking to Albany, NY as well.
Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on how to go to school F/T and live slightly above poverty-level while doing so? I'm not sure if I should try to max out on student loans and use the rest to try and live. Any suggestions would be so helpful.
 
Unfortunately, unless I hook up with a retail pharmacy and get a scholarship from them, I will probably be maxing out student loans. 🙁
 
Thanks Michele- I spell my name the same way too! I'm an old fogie and you know you get so comfortable with your life and to go back to the 20-something way of life is going to be an adjustment! I'm trying to sock alot of money away now since I'm working F/T, but I don't think that'll be enough and I will not dip into my 401K at any cost to do this. I'm hoping (oh please) if I get into Albany, that it won't be too bad being that it's so much cheaper than where I live now,
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can't be that old. I'm 39. LOL

I know want you mean about comfort levels and such. I have 4 kids, 2 who will be starting college before I even get out of Pharmacy school. Assuming I get in. 🙁

Good luck! What term are you trying for Pharm admission?
 
I discovered that Albany has a 3 yr accelerated, by going there it is 1 year shorter than going to Rutgers to do the traditional program. Since Albany requires less pre-reqs, I'm estimating that I'll start Summer of 2006 and finish by 2009. I'm in my late 30's too, some days I think "what am I doing?- I'm crazy!" and then most days I say "the alternative to not trying is regret".
Unfortunately, I don't have any children yet. I'll be the
50-yr old Mom in the playground that people will mistaken for a Grandma!
 
My wife who is a nurse will be supporting me for the duration. Of course she has informed me that I will be repaying her...starting with a LONG vacation when I'm finished.
 
My husband wants a Jaguar XK8 convertible for his repayment, but he might have to settle for a used one.
 
That's funny, Dana. My husband wants a 1969 mustang fastback for his repayment.