how do u politely reject a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

do u send a letter through snail mail to their dean or do u just email them.

Members don't see this ad.

e-mail is fine. Trust me, they don't care the least bit about you. Do you know how many people they interview? You are one out of a lot of people. You should never feel guilty about turning down a school.

Email first. Some schools may say they need it in writing then mail it to them. Good luck.

Chankovsky said:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done several through e-mail. It's fine.

Chankovsky said:

according to AMCAS, email is appropriate:
In fairness to other applicants, when an applicant has made a decision, prior to May 15, not to attend a medical school that has made an offer of acceptance, the applicant promptly withdraw his or her application from that (those) other school(s) by written correspondence delivered by regular or electronic methods.

email is the best way to do. they don't wanna waste their time and u don't wanna waste postage. but congrats.

VIRILEP.....did u really get a ipod through that thing.......pm me dude....keep it gangsta

Simply indicate how difficult your decision was and stress how in no way it reflects uon their potential to mold you into becoming a fine physician. Moreover, emphasize how much careful attention was put into considering their school as a viable option for you, as a person of course!

Has anybody gotten their deposit back after telling a school you won't be attending through email? I was thinking of sending a letter w/ a self-addressed stamped envelope. I would really like my deposit $ back. Thanks!

Dear [insert name of medical school],
Welcome to Dumpsville. Population---You.

dandelion said:
Has anybody gotten their deposit back after telling a school you won't be attending through email? I was thinking of sending a letter w/ a self-addressed stamped envelope. I would really like my deposit $ back. Thanks!

don't do that. very tacky. they have automated stuff in their business offices. i have sent two emails and gotten snail mail repsonses to both saying that the check is being processed. so far, one check was sent right away while the other i was told would take take 4-6 weeks.

striped sweater said:
don't do that. very tacky. they have automated stuff in their business offices. i have sent two emails and gotten snail mail repsonses to both saying that the check is being processed. so far, one check was sent right away while the other i was told would take take 4-6 weeks.

OK, that's good to know, thanks!

Chankovsky said:

why do you have to do this politley? If you are withdrawing, you have obviously gotten in somewhere else. If I had that luxury I would be out and out rude to the tune of:

"Your school was not up to my standards. I found your cafeteria below par if you expect me to spend the better part of 4 years there. The person who interviewed asked my non-probing, inane questions. The students seemed fake and only interested in the free lunch which is the only reason they signed up for the tours. The library was mediocre. Good luck filling your class you'll need it."

rachel711 said:
why do you have to do this politley? If you are withdrawing, you have obviously gotten in somewhere else. If I had that luxury I would be out and out rude to the tune of:

"Your school was not up to my standards. I found your cafeteria below par if you expect me to spend the better part of 4 years there. The person who interviewed asked my non-probing, inane questions. The students seemed fake and only interested in the free lunch which is the only reason they signed up for the tours. The library was mediocre. Good luck filling your class you'll need it."

Well you don't want to burn any bridges in case you want to do residency there or something.

naimist said:
Well you don't want to burn any bridges in case you want to do residency there or something.

Residency programs and MD admissions are entirely seperate. It is unlikely that they'd make a note of you.

Send a polite email. What's the point of a rude email, other than a joke, of course?

rachel711 said:

BRILLIANT. just great.
let us know if you actually do it!