How do we use ERAS to scramble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmitrinyr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it cost any money? Do we just click on the programs that we want to send our information to? How long does it take for the programs to download your info given the extremely limited time during which major decisions of the scramble occur?

I may need to scramble after this year's match and so I just want to know if I need to be getting my paperwork now. I only ask because I have no way of obtaining my LORs as the letter writers sent them directly to ERAS, nor do I have a copy of my dean's letter (who does?) and my transcript. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There's a great sticky on this forum that answers those questions, as well as offering other advice on the mechanics of the Scramble.

Does it cost any money? Do we just click on the programs that we want to send our information to? How long does it take for the programs to download your info given the extremely limited time during which major decisions of the scramble occur?

I may need to scramble after this year's match and so I just want to know if I need to be getting my paperwork now. I only ask because I have no way of obtaining my LORs as the letter writers sent them directly to ERAS, nor do I have a copy of my dean's letter (who does?) and my transcript. Thanks

If you scramble, you can send up to 30 applications on that day through ERAS free of charge. After that, you have to pay. Also, if you did not waive your right to see your LOR's, you can get hold of them. As for how long it takes the program to download your info, you have to keep in mind that during the scramble, residency programs are being flooded with applications from thousands of unmatched applicants. So it may take a long time for them to download yours, let alone read it. Phone and fax lines are very busy that day. So if you go through the scramble, prepare yourself for busy signals and fax machines getting jammed. Trust me, the scramble is the residency applicant's equivalent of Dante's Inferno. Avoid it if you can. Try to match first, and use the scramble only as a last resort.

Any updates on this question? Can we apply to more than 30 even if we have to pay? Or is it really just thirty. period? thanks

Big question: I want to go on a vacation from 3/14 to 3/23...

In the event that I needed to scramble, do I need to be on my medical school campus?

Any updates on this question? Can we apply to more than 30 even if we have to pay? Or is it really just thirty. period? thanks

Thirty period. No more. Only good news is that those 30 are free.

Big question: I want to go on a vacation from 3/14 to 3/23...

In the event that I needed to scramble, do I need to be on my medical school campus?

Scrambling away from your dean's office is possible, but difficult. The scramble happens very quickly, good spots fill in the first 15-30 minutes, and having a dean help you is invaluable.

Kaplan also has some good advices on this process. check it out!

Thanks for the info!
I really hope I don't need to scramble. :oops:

Me too. It sucks from both ends.

Hahaha! APD, you have no idea how nice it is to know PDs are sweating out the match too. Thanks for all the help and the insight inside the minds of the powers that be! teeheehee...But then again, at the end of the day, whether or not you fill out your slots, you still have a job!...whereas the lowly applicant who doesn't match has one year of limbo to deal with...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

That being said, I really hope we all match! :luck::luck::luck: