How do ya'll deal with "talkers"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcjc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok... this is probably going to come off as a rant but I am about ready to scream. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with those "certain individuals" who just can't shut up in class? A group of young ladies act like the complete stereotype of blonde and talk nonstop through every class. What in heaven's name do they have to talk about? It might not be so bad if they sat in the back, but no, bloody front row. Have even had them yawn loud enough to wake the dead during lecture. :mad:

The major problem is the fact that our class President won't do jack. We have to go through channels, so several people complained to an Honor Council Member who sent a general e-mail to the President asking her to handle it. Nothing was done, and the talking has become worse. And no, we can't go to the professors because it is stated that the class should police themselves. They'll just lecture on whilst giving dirty looks to these people who apparently lack all manner of common sense.

If anyone here has had to deal with this, advice would be appreciated. The notes are posted on-line, so they don't have to show up to class. Oy, vey.
Pharmacy school definetly tests you in more ways than one. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

no advice here...but i can commisurate (sp?)

i h8 talkers...so rude, eh?

kcjc said:
The major problem is the fact that our class President won't do jack.

sounds like the president is an @$$. it always sucks when there is a weak leader.

maybe you can sedate the talkative blond chicks :laugh: i know what you mean tho. don't you hate it when you go to the library and there is a huuuge sign that says NO TALKING yet there's always a group of chicks (sometimes a group of guys or a mix of genders) who just talk non-stop? I never understand why in the world people study with friends in the library when they know they will just end up talking, thereby not accomplishing the original purpose of going to the library (getting the studying done).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would whisper (but loud enough that the talkers can hear) to someone sitting next to me, like "geez, can't they just shut up? how annoyinggg". That should do it. :thumbup: ;)

Considering how much we pay to go to school, the least ppl can do is actually listen to the professors or just don't show up.

i say you throw out the prez and get someone who will stand up and say something about the problem

here we are not told to police ourselves and the dean of student affairs requested meetings with people who had been turned in as talkers and that pretty much solved it

otherwise you could always stand up yourself and make a general announcement about you have heard several complaints about people talking and if you want to talk, don't come to class... etc

I would personally tell them to be quiet b/c you can't hear the lecture and that if they would like to carry on a conversation during class they should move elsewhere. What do you have to lose? They will either turn their noses to the air and say they can't believe you had the nerve to tell them to be quiet, or they will finally shut the hell up. I don't put up with that crap. I'm paying good money to learn, not to listen to a bunch of guys or girls bs while the professor is lecturing. It's called respect and common courtesy on their part as a student and as a professional.

I agree with emo. Confront them. Try to do it in a nice way first, since you will have to continue to deal with these people all throughout pharmacy school. Maybe talk to them after class, and be polite about it. Make it sound like it's you and not them. Say something like, "Listen, I'm kind of hard of hearing, so it's hard for me to hear the lectures. Do you think you could maybe try to hold down your conversations during class? It would really help me out."

If this doesn't work, maybe there needs to be a group confrontation. I think if they realize that half the class is pissed at them, they will stop. Maybe you could approach one of your other class leaders (perhaps a more willing vice president?) to deal with it. A simple email sent out to the entire class signed by class leaders not mentioning any names of talkers may be effective.

Chitter-chat in class is a major pet peeve of mine. I agree that you should say something to them. Do it while they're in the act. Do it nicely the first time. The second time, raise your hand to ask a question, stand up and confront them directly. A loud, "Sssshhhh!" usually works well, too. :)

Next time they talk in class during lecture raise your hand and ask the professor:

"Im sorry, could you please repeat that, I couldnt hear you over insert-name-of-chick."

Maybe it will embarass them so they will stop, at least for the day.

:rolleyes:

Have you discussed it with the instructor?

Of course, I usually just give people the "mom" look and it usually works. :D Works really well for people putting their feet on the back of my chair, too.

DownonthePharm said:
Next time they talk in class during lecture raise your hand and ask the professor:

"Im sorry, could you please repeat that, I couldnt hear you over insert-name-of-chick."

Maybe it will embarass them so they will stop, at least for the day.

:rolleyes:

Or even better - "Excuse me, Professor Blank. You were talking as Girl #1 was interrupting, and I couldn't hear your last statement. Would you mind repeating it?"

Each time name a different girl of the group. They will get embarrased enough to stop.

Or even better - "Excuse me, Professor Blank. You were talking as Girl #1 was interrupting, and I couldn't hear your last statement. Would you mind repeating it?"
:thumbup: nice one...if not then, just ask them politely to please keep quiet, have you tried that? coz if you dont have the guts to tell blonde chics to be quiet if they dont mind, how could you ask them out on a date.... :smuggrin:

kcjc said:
Ok... this is probably going to come off as a rant but I am about ready to scream. Does anyone have any advice on dealing with those "certain individuals" who just can't shut up in class? A group of young ladies act like the complete stereotype of blonde and talk nonstop through every class. What in heaven's name do they have to talk about? It might not be so bad if they sat in the back, but no, bloody front row. Have even had them yawn loud enough to wake the dead during lecture. :mad:

The major problem is the fact that our class President won't do jack. We have to go through channels, so several people complained to an Honor Council Member who sent a general e-mail to the President asking her to handle it. Nothing was done, and the talking has become worse. And no, we can't go to the professors because it is stated that the class should police themselves. They'll just lecture on whilst giving dirty looks to these people who apparently lack all manner of common sense.

If anyone here has had to deal with this, advice would be appreciated. The notes are posted on-line, so they don't have to show up to class. Oy, vey.
Pharmacy school definetly tests you in more ways than one. :oops:

Ok..where do you go to school....I'll come and tell them to STFU.. :smuggrin: