How do you access journal articles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abby Atwood

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
During pharmacy school, I had free access to basically any journal article I wanted. I really miss it. My program had public access to the library and free access to journal articles for people using the library. Is that typical? If I drove to the nearest pharmacy school and hung out in their library, is it possible that I would get my journal access back?

If that access isn't typical, what are people doing to get journal article access? I probably just need to subscribe to the journals that I regularly need articles from, but it's kind of expensive. Are there any alternatives?

Members don't see this ad.

For hospitals, usually this is done through their medical library if they are a Burton-Hill hospital, academic medical center, or federal health center. You probably want to visit the medical librarian. For outpatient, it's very rare and you might just have to make the subscription and then deduct it given the 2% floor.

If you're willing to use something not quite on the up and up, Sci-Hub and Libgen (cough, cough) might be of service.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I get them through work, but I've found classmates with access through work are often willing to send you specific articles if you request them. If your class had a Facebook group and you don't have a specific friend to ask, you could ask there...

Reactions: 1 user
Become a preceptor - at least at UF that gives you access to the medical Sciences Library which gives you access to the journal articles.

Reactions: 4 users
Ditto on being a preceptor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
It is really easy to email the authors and ask for a PDF. It seems like you are bugging then, but often they are THRILLED that anyone wants to read their research. It's common to get an enthusiastic response back within minutes.

Reactions: 5 users
It is really easy to email the authors and ask for a PDF. It seems like you are bugging then, but often they are THRILLED that anyone wants to read their research. It's common to get an enthusiastic response back within minutes.

I never thought of that. Are the emails listed in the abstract or do you Google or What?

I never thought of that. Are the emails listed in the abstract or do you Google or What?

Usually if you Google the person and they have an affiliation with a university they come up

Reactions: 1 user
Preceptors are treated as zero-salary faculty and given library access, or bug your rotating students to do a DI/lit search

I have a friend's login info from my class a few years ago. She can be the preceptor.