• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Abby Atwood

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
During pharmacy school, I had free access to basically any journal article I wanted. I really miss it. My program had public access to the library and free access to journal articles for people using the library. Is that typical? If I drove to the nearest pharmacy school and hung out in their library, is it possible that I would get my journal access back?

If that access isn't typical, what are people doing to get journal article access? I probably just need to subscribe to the journals that I regularly need articles from, but it's kind of expensive. Are there any alternatives?

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2002
DC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
  2. Academic Administration
For hospitals, usually this is done through their medical library if they are a Burton-Hill hospital, academic medical center, or federal health center. You probably want to visit the medical librarian. For outpatient, it's very rare and you might just have to make the subscription and then deduct it given the 2% floor.

If you're willing to use something not quite on the up and up, Sci-Hub and Libgen (cough, cough) might be of service.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

radio frequency

7+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I get them through work, but I've found classmates with access through work are often willing to send you specific articles if you request them. If your class had a Facebook group and you don't have a specific friend to ask, you could ask there...

Reactions: 1 user

Lexington2012

7+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2012
Lexington, KY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
It is really easy to email the authors and ask for a PDF. It seems like you are bugging then, but often they are THRILLED that anyone wants to read their research. It's common to get an enthusiastic response back within minutes.

Reactions: 5 users

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
It is really easy to email the authors and ask for a PDF. It seems like you are bugging then, but often they are THRILLED that anyone wants to read their research. It's common to get an enthusiastic response back within minutes.

I never thought of that. Are the emails listed in the abstract or do you Google or What?

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Best Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Preceptors are treated as zero-salary faculty and given library access, or bug your rotating students to do a DI/lit search

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

PolarPop

7+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I have a friend's login info from my class a few years ago. She can be the preceptor.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.