1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How do you all pick pharmacy schools to apply considering your stats?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by dreamer122, Oct 21, 2018.

1. dreamer122

Pre-Pharmacy
    So, I don't know how to choose pharmacy schools to apply to. Of course everyone wants to apply to top tier schools like UNC, UCSF, USC, etc.
    BUT, did you all also apply to some safety schools in case you don't get in those top schools?
    How do you pick schools to apply base on your stats?

Mine are
    GPA: 3.6
    PCAT: 68
    1.5 year pharmacy tech, 2 years hospital pharmacy volunteer, no research, no leadership or any other Extracurricular activities. I applied to UNC and UCSF, but afraid they won't take me.

Are schools with ranking from 20-40 on the usnews ranking good for stats like mine?
    I applied to Campbell, Wayne state university, Texas Tech, are those schools good?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nick5

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Your stats aren’t bad, the experience you have is great. It is smart to apply to other schools , I only applied to one school because I did early decision. I’ve worked in hospital pharmacy around three years and got into a top school! Good Luck!

4. NextStepTutor_4

NextStepTutor_4 Next Step PCAT Expert

Hi @dreamer122! Your have a pretty decent GPA with plenty of pharmacy experience. This is a good start to your application for pharmacy schools and you should be a competitive candidate to the schools that you listed. When I applied, I picked around 2 top tier schools and 2 backup schools and this is what I would recommend for most candidates. I ended up receiving interviews for all the schools but I only participated in 2 interviews after I found out I would be accepted in a top tier school.

Best of luck!

5. BC_89

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    What do you call a person who graduated top of their class from a top ranked pharmacy school and a person who graduated bottom of his class at the lowest ranked pharmacy school?

A pharmacist.

Go to the cheapest fully accredited pharmacy program. Your future investments and autonomy will thank you.

DOOM N GLOOM likes this.
  6. DOOM N GLOOM

When 70% of the jobs in pharmacy are in retail, and 90% of the time in retail is spent counting by 5’s, I agree that it makes no difference what school you go to. Maybe the top schools teach you how to count by 30’s or something...?

BC_89 likes this.