How do you deal with rude people in retail without feeling like a door mat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need tips because I come home feeling pretty ragey. My current MOA is to get them out of the store ASAP but then that is just placating them. I feel like these people are so rude and belittling and I can't do anything about it.

Members don't see this ad.

If u are rph then remember u get paid way to much 4 wut u do and they pay u to suck it up, if u r a tech then... I dunno

Easy, you call an insurance and take it out on them.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I need tips because I come home feeling pretty ragey. My current MOA is to get them out of the store ASAP but then that is just placating them. I feel like these people are so rude and belittling and I can't do anything about it.

"We are dedicated to providing every customer with amazing, perfect customer service, but we can only help with what is within our control.

However, if you continue to be abusive, I will have to ask you to leave"

Then call loss prevention or call the cops.

Stand up for yourself.

Reactions: 4 users

It's all about being confident and not feeling insecure. If you allow stupid people to make you feel small or low, then you need to improve with having confidence. You need to know know your professional duty is to help patients and not want people to kiss up to you. Sorry for blunt response but that's how you survive retail. I can tell you from my own personal experience, I have been yelled, life threatened and disrespected by many customers yet I do not once feel like a doormat.

Reactions: 1 user
“Your clearly upset, let’s figure out if I can help you get on about your day as quickly as possible. What is it that you would like us to do?”

Then if you can, do the thing. If you can’t, “I’m sorry but for a number of reasons I just am not able to do that, is there anything else?”

If it becomes just screaming rants, “I will be forced to call security if we can’t discuss this calmly”. Then do that

Reactions: 4 users
Intern here serving on the front lines (at the register every weekend). When I first started retail I would cry after my shifts because EVERYONE was so cruel to me. I also got into arguments with patients who were verbally abusive and treated me like a high school drop out. With more abuse, I have developed a good sense of humor and the ability to remain calm. I usually pause and think and then speak slowly, so as to calm the customer (like soothing a baby). I also learned that many of the people we serve have health literacy problems. They do not understand what we do and the role we serve. Our American system of instant gratification also makes customers feel that they should be entitled to whatever they want, when they want it. Sometimes I want to spank the customers and place them in time out, because all the lessons of childhood have been forgotten because now they're adults and "the customer is always right". When I look at my paycheck and all the little things I have been able to provide for myself (food, Midyear registration, PhorCAS), I remember to take everything in stride.

On a more interesting note, how do you deal with stinky and coughing customers? Lately I have had an onslaught of customers who do not cover their cough and some who smell like cigarette smoke. Some customers look like meth addicts (open sores, jittery) and they also smell. Being with child I worry about how possible third-hand smoke will affect my fetus.

Reactions: 1 users
On a more interesting note, how do you deal with stinky and coughing customers? Lately I have had an onslaught of customers who do not cover their cough and some who smell like cigarette smoke. Some customers look like meth addicts (open sores, jittery) and they also smell. Being with child I worry about how possible third-hand smoke will affect my fetus.

Go on LOA ASAP. In the people's republic you get both FMLA and CFRA. You can string together leave up to 24 consecutive weeks if your OB/GYN is on board to provide medical certification for 12 weeks of FMLA. Then after birth use up the other 12 weeks of CFRA leave for child bonding. Then request a transfer to a better store

You can also wear a face mask if that blocks some of the odors. Doubt anyone actually cares.

As for rude people, you deal with them as with anyone else. Give them a solution and they can choose to accept or refuse it. If they act a fool ask where to transfer their scripts or give hard copies back. A lot of times these idiots were never punched in the face as a kid when they acted up at school so they never kept their B.S. in check.

If your store actually has armed security it's easier to tell them to GTFO or you will call security

Last edited:
Go on LOA ASAP. In the people's republic you get both FMLA and CFRA. You can string together leave up to 24 consecutive weeks if your OB/GYN is on board to provide medical certification for 12 weeks of FMLA. Then after birth use up the other 12 weeks of CFRA leave for child bonding. Then request a transfer to a better store

You can also wear a face mask if that blocks some of the odors. Doubt anyone actually cares.

As for rude people, you deal with them as with anyone else. Give them a solution and they can choose to accept or refuse it. If they act a fool ask where to transfer their scripts or give hard copies back. A lot of times these idiots were never punched in the face as a kid when they acted up at school so they never kept their B.S. in check.

If your store actually has armed security it's easier to tell them to GTFO or you will call security

I do not qualify for traditional job benefits. I can get sick pay if I call out 2 days in a row with a doctor's note, but I do not want to screw over my coworkers--it will come back to bite me. I also live 1hr+ from my store and put in a request to transfer last October, but no action was taken. I work at a chain where they took on more interns than they could realistically hire as pharmacists so come May, I will be unemployed. I went without health insurance during this pregnancy and the HR guy gave me the run around, so I doubt this company cares if the fetus dies or has defects due to exposure to sick/toxic patients.

That's what the gym/exercise is for. Let out all that negativity and you'll forget about it and feel way better.

Reactions: 2 users
If a positive attitude does not work for you, here is a perspective on a negative adaption you can do.

He would recall with unbounded contempt how many of his colleagues had been terrified of public appearances, how they would stammer and get entangled in contradictions. That had never happened to him. He was a man who could not be trapped. The questions had never beaten him. Nor had they discovered his secret.

He had decided in advance that he would present the image of a kindly old man, caring about the life of the interviewer. He hadn’t said a single thing that was true during the entire interview, he thought with satisfaction. This was one of the few things that still held any interest for him. To deceive without being discovered. To continue with the pretense. After all his years as a politician, he realized all that was left was the lie. The truth disguised as a lie or the lie dressed up as the truth.

That he hated and despised the people he represented, the policies that he defended, and most of the people he met was his personal secret truth. His secret would stay hidden until he died. He had seen through the world, identified all its frailties, and understood the meaninglessness of existence. But no one knew about his insight, and that was the way it would stay. He had greeted kings and presidents, he had bowed with a smile, but in his mind, he was thinking, “if you only knew who I really am and what I think of you”. When he stood in front of the public, when he talked with anyone on a professional level, he always held that thought – “if you only knew who I really am and what I think of you” – foremost in his mind.

“Your clearly upset, let’s figure out if I can help you get on about your day as quickly as possible. What is it that you would like us to do?”
Then if you can, do the thing. If you can’t, “I’m sorry but for a number of reasons I just am not able to do that, is there anything else?”
If it becomes just screaming rants, “I will be forced to call security if we can’t discuss this calmly”. Then do that

I can always tell who had a decent ass kicking at some point in their life by how they react to me.

I used to intentionally close distance to make belligerent people uncomfortable a la LBJ, but on some *****s it just didn't work.

Going home ragey is an acknowledgement that rude/trash people actually have an effect on you. Please do not let this be the case. When people get out of line I enjoy using the same lines over and over "thats rough, warehouse was out, we'ill put in another order check tomorrow...Yes line is long, good thing we try our best every day...we faxed the doctor they must be real busy with flu season...

Just remember many customers were born trash, grew up trash and will die trash.

I used to intentionally close distance to make belligerent people uncomfortable a la LBJ, but on some *****s it just didn't work.

Did this usually work?, always wanted to try the LBJ method but currently use the yell from workstation without moving method.

Intern here serving on the front lines (at the register every weekend). When I first started retail I would cry after my shifts because EVERYONE was so cruel to me. I also got into arguments with patients who were verbally abusive and treated me like a high school drop out. With more abuse, I have developed a good sense of humor and the ability to remain calm. I usually pause and think and then speak slowly, so as to calm the customer (like soothing a baby). I also learned that many of the people we serve have health literacy problems. They do not understand what we do and the role we serve. Our American system of instant gratification also makes customers feel that they should be entitled to whatever they want, when they want it. Sometimes I want to spank the customers and place them in time out, because all the lessons of childhood have been forgotten because now they're adults and "the customer is always right". When I look at my paycheck and all the little things I have been able to provide for myself (food, Midyear registration, PhorCAS), I remember to take everything in stride.

My technician starts spraying air freshener. I've seen her stop a conversation with a stinky patient, pull out the air freshener, and start spraying and then say, "sorry, it smells bad in here".

Going home ragey is an acknowledgement that rude/trash people actually have an effect on you. Please do not let this be the case. When people get out of line I enjoy using the same lines over and over "thats rough, warehouse was out, we'ill put in another order check tomorrow...Yes line is long, good thing we try our best every day...we faxed the doctor they must be real busy with flu season...

Just remember many customers were born trash, grew up trash and will die trash.
Did this usually work?, always wanted to try the LBJ method but currently use the yell from workstation without moving method.
Yes, mostly just on little tweaker looking types.
The hilarious part was that Target management thought me coming out from behind the counter was "engaging guests and providing amazing service!"

It blew my mind the first time i got complemented for it when a customer complained. I thought i was gonna be written up.

Reactions: 1 user
My technician starts spraying air freshener. I've seen her stop a conversation with a stinky patient, pull out the air freshener, and start spraying and then say, "sorry, it smells bad in here".

LOL. Set up a fan in their direction is a good way to keep air flowing. Some do smell.

"Sometimes I want to spank the customers" interesting....

I find that starting every interaction with a smile sets the tone for a better interaction. If you're not behind with orders, following workflow and keeping patients informed when there are issues with coverage, you really shouldn't have people attempting to abuse you verbally. There will always be @$$hholes, of course. Do not hesitate to set them straight.
The company's anti harassment policy includes customers. People forget that. It is OK to remind them of that. As soon as you hear the first F-bomb, that's when you ask them where they would like their prescriptions transferred. RTS everything no matter how big the order is.

Tonight at a big box store in central Texas, a gentleman started to freak out at the pharmacy for some reason or another.
The pharmacist was an individual with self respect.
The outcome of this individual acting in a totally inappropriate and harassing manner could've either been:
A.) a gift card
B.) a free rental of bracelets courtesy of nice men in blue uniforms.

The pharmacy staff rightly called the police the very minute the profanities came out.