What is a Pharmacy Residency for Neurology Like? How Do I Make Myself Competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightynematode

Reaction score
I'm working on going back to Pharmacy school and I know I'm interested in being a Clinical Pharmacist. For those Pharmacists who've completed a residency, how much patient interaction would you say you have? Is the work fulfilling and do you get to learn a good deal about Physiology and/or Anatomy? Does the salary of a Clinical Pharmacist afford you a comfortable lifestyle?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you’re in the wrong profession here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working on going back to Pharmacy school and I know I'm interested in being a Clinical Pharmacist. For those Pharmacists who've completed a residency, how much patient interaction would you say you have? Is the work fulfilling and do you get to learn a good deal about Physiology and/or Anatomy? Does the salary of a Clinical Pharmacist afford you a comfortable lifestyle?
First, you need to learn about Anatomy & Physiology BEFORE applying to pharmacy school. Second, "Clinical Pharmacist " is a very vague term. Where do you want to work: inpatient, ambulatory care, retail insurance, academia? Upon graduation from pharmacy school, usually 20%-30% of your class will be matched to residency, the rest will go to retail or get "middle of nowhere jobs". Residency training will certainly give you advantages in getting "nice jobs" but a lot of people are able to get out of retail also.
Yes, generally salary for pharmacist will give you a comfortable lifestyle.

I think there are a 1 or 2 neurology PGY2 programs (I think the LA VA might have one?), but there are very few pharmacist positions that have anything to do with neurology. The closest I've ever seen to a neurology pharmacist position was a pharmacist who spent 2 days a week in the movement disorders clinic mainly processing med renewals and answering drug info questions (she was in other clinics the rest of the week, like women's health and renal). I suppose there are also pharmacists rounding with the neuro ICU team. Likely no need for a neurology PGY2 for either of these.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like you want to be a neurologist. Have you thought about medical school instead of pharm?

Reactions: 4 users
Sounds like you want to be a neurologist. Have you thought about medical school instead of pharm?
Yeah, listen to this person. If you have a specific field in medicine that you want to work in, go to med school/PA school/NP school and specialize in that field. There are pharmacist positions that specialize in just about everything, but most of them are very limited and I would never start my career path expecting to land something as rare as a neurology pharmacist. I might consider it if you were interest in a more common specialty, say oncology, but it is still a stretch. I would say most of us had no clue where we would end up when we entered pharmacy school except for those who went into this wanting to do retail.

Yeah, listen to this person. If you have a specific field in medicine that you want to work in, go to med school/PA school/NP school and specialize in that field. There are pharmacist positions that specialize in just about everything, but most of them are very limited and I would never start my career path expecting to land something as rare as a neurology pharmacist. I might consider it if you were interest in a more common specialty, say oncology, but it is still a stretch. I would say most of us had no clue where we would end up when we entered pharmacy school except for those who went into this wanting to do retail.
That makes sense but I didn't get into medical school and it's cumbersome to try again. I can see myself being happy as a Pharmacist even if I'm not highly specialized.

• Care
That makes sense but I didn't get into medical school and it's cumbersome to try again. I can see myself being happy as a Pharmacist even if I'm not highly specialized.
When you say happy, do you mean you wake up looking forward to going to work and it's so much fun you whistle all day and then you're sad when it's time to go home? That is highly, highly unlikely.

If you mean you have a loving family and friends and you like playing tennis on the weekends, well that's a possibility.

When you say happy, do you mean you wake up looking forward to going to work and it's so much fun you whistle all day and then you're sad when it's time to go home? That is highly, highly unlikely.

If you mean you have a loving family and friends and you like playing tennis on the weekends, well that's a possibility.

The OP means that they will be excited to go work at CVS for the next 30 years.

I'm working on going back to Pharmacy school and I know I'm interested in being a Clinical Pharmacist. For those Pharmacists who've completed a residency, how much patient interaction would you say you have?
In terms of my PGY-1, very little direct patient interaction. I would round with the critical care team in the ICU or the different hospitalists that rotated every two weeks through the hospital. Currently doing a PGY-2 in ambulatory care (VA), and I correspond directly with patients daily. In terms of VA, pharmacists have a scope of practice so daily face to face / telephone / virtual interactions with patients is something you'd be expected to do (along with answering daily questions from the rest of the healthcare team).

Is the work fulfilling and do you get to learn a good deal about Physiology and/or Anatomy? Does the salary of a Clinical Pharmacist afford you a comfortable lifestyle?
Physiology +/- Anatomy is something you come to the job with (check for drug/drug interactions, pharmacokinetics, reasonings for potential ADRs, etc.). Since I am still a resident, my hours and research requirements have started to drain my mind and body, but I also know the pay-off at the end of the next 6 months will afford me a comfortable lifestyle with my family (set hours, weekends + federal holidays off). Federal jobs don't pay as much as other positions, but I think the trade-off of responsibilities and long-term retirement plans are well worth it for myself.

In terms of neurology, I happen to be doing a rotation right now with a pharmacist that does both rheumatology + neurology. The other half of my rotation right now is dealing with chronic pain management. This preceptor did a rotation in ambulatory care, and this "niche" position just happened to open up. I have not met a pharmacist that is 100% oriented from day one to do something like neurology, its really just preparation meets opportunity. This individual had to go to the guidelines, learn on the job, and essentially validate the role and purpose of the pharmacist for the healthcare team.

Point is, you need to go in with the mindset of being (in your case) a clinical pharmacist serving a hybrid role. As others mentioned, you do not need a residency to be a clinical pharmacist (although the opportunity becomes more abundant in most situations), but I wouldn't go in with the mindset of a "niche" specialty from day one as that is getting a bit harder and harder to accomplish with every passing year.

This forum has a great many intelligent, helpful, and insightful individuals. There are qualified individuals here, with decades of experience. I would read the responses here, and notice the cautionary tone, in most.

Our cleaning lady, asked me to talk to her son, a very smart 18yo, planning on going to Pharmacy School. As I was explaining to him about the rapid decline of my profession, the oversupply of "clinical pharmacists" and the exorbitant cost of a pharmacy school, he was looking around my home. He said; "well looks like you have done very well". Thinking, I was trying to keep him out of a lucrative future.

What you need to realize is, the current state of our profession. Pharmacy has been very, very good to me and my family. But things have changed. Before you concern yourself with Residency and neurology specialty, take a look at the landscape. The great majority of the "clinical pharmacist", with a Pharm.D., and even residency, are working retail, and that is if they have a job.

Please listen, keep asking questions, and pick another profession.

This forum has a great many intelligent, helpful, and insightful individuals. There are qualified individuals here, with decades of experience. I would read the responses here, and notice the cautionary tone, in most.

Our cleaning lady, asked me to talk to her son, a very smart 18yo, planning on going to Pharmacy School. As I was explaining to him about the rapid decline of my profession, the oversupply of "clinical pharmacists" and the exorbitant cost of a pharmacy school, he was looking around my home. He said; "well looks like you have done very well". Thinking, I was trying to keep him out of a lucrative future.

What you need to realize is, the current state of our profession. Pharmacy has been very, very good to me and my family. But things have changed. Before you concern yourself with Residency and neurology specialty, take a look at the landscape. The great majority of the "clinical pharmacist", with a Pharm.D., and even residency, are working retail, and that is if they have a job.

Please listen, keep asking questions, and pick another profession.

I was considering getting a second Bachelors in Physics and pursuing graduate study in Physics. My question is this: is the landscape of the Pharmacy profession so broken that Science might be better? I understand your sentiment but I grew up quite poor and one person's assessment is often not standard. I wasn't necessarily interested in Pharmacy for a financial leg up but more so because I was always told it was steady, stimulating work but, apparently, this is not he case?