How do you deal with the boredom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phoenixsupra

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to do some reading in pharm to update my drug knowledge. One thing, can any of you tell me how to avoid blacking out from sheer boredom when reading pharm. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

phoenixsupra said:
I'm about to do some reading in pharm to update my drug knowledge. One thing, can any of you tell me how to avoid blacking out from sheer boredom when reading pharm. Thanks

pharm is not boring...wait, are u talking about drugs' pharmacology/pharmacokinetics/pharmaceutics/...?

is phoenixsupra trying to start something here? :smuggrin: :p

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:
Phoenix is always trying to start something. ;) But, I believe his question was not in jest.

True, this pharmtard needs some tips. ;)

phoenixsupra said:
True, this pharmtard needs some tips. ;)

hmm...I guess you could take breaks...like every other sentence...j/k
sorry dude, can't help you here :D

Other people in other forums.. ie allo and pre-allo might recomend you take some drug; that will help you read about drugs. :smuggrin:

Oh.. my solution btw would be whiskey.. it helps everything.

Megalofyia said:
Other people in other forums.. ie allo and pre-allo might recomend you take some drug; that will help you read about drugs. :smuggrin:
lol...and I'm sure it'll help you pay extra attention to the drug you just took :laugh:

Megalofyia said:
Oh.. my solution btw would be whiskey.. it helps everything.
:idea: :thumbup:

phoenixsupra said:
Try to relate the individual drugs to the systems that they affect and understand why. Learning brand and generic or dosages is fundamentally boring, but you can always look it up. Knowing about the body systems and how each drug (or drug class) affects them is something that you can't just look up for every patient.

i honestly don't know how to keep from being incredibly bored....

perhaps JD is right about the way they affect and why but then again that's just basic stuff and typically you can get that out of an abreviated text...

i would say.. look at the book you are reading...

the worst one out there for me (in pcol) was goodman's and gillman's

the shorter, dumber books are sometimes more interesting and may meet your needs for certain subjects.

Though when having to learn structures of sugars in biochem i made up songs i got so bored......

Good luck.

bbmuffin said:
i would say.. look at the book you are reading...

the worst one out there for me (in pcol) was goodman's and gillman's

the shorter, dumber books are sometimes more interesting and may meet your needs for certain subjects.

Good luck.
I love Goodman & Gillman, but NOT if I have an exam the next day (too much information!). I love my pcol for idiots book too, which is quite the opposite. (Basic Concepts in Pharmacology, by Janet L. Stringer, M.D., Ph.D.)

jdpharmd? said:
I love Goodman & Gillman, but NOT if I have an exam the next day (too much information!). I love my pcol for idiots book too, which is quite the opposite. (Basic Concepts in Pharmacology, by Janet L. Stringer, M.D., Ph.D.)
you are a sick sick individual.......

i do believe that DiPiro's Pharmacotherapy is worse though....

Koda-Kimball I enjoy

phoenixsupra said:

I'm not in pharmacy school yet, but I've always loved reading the PDR. Now that I've had some chemistry and physiology classes it's even more fun. I don't understand boredom.

Troy

twester said:
I'm not in pharmacy school yet, but I've always loved reading the PDR. Now that I've had some chemistry and physiology classes it's even more fun. I don't understand boredom.

Troy

The PDR? Yikes.

twester said:

Troy
PDR is the Devil and tainted

What does PDR stand for......Oh ya thats right..Please Do Not Refer!!! There are better books out there if you are going to read something twester. Have fun!!! Jason

Thanks to everyone who answered my question. Knowing that even the pharmguru's can find this stuff a little snoozy at times is is very helpful to know. I'll redouble my efforts and get back to the books. Good luck with your studies. :) :luck:

gah! you have just reminded me that you have to do stuff once you get accepted into pharmacy school.

lol. seriously reading about drugs cant be worse than reading about accounting . i would die if i had to study accounting all the time.