You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How do you deal with the boredom?
Started by phoenixsupra
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
phoenixsupra said:I'm about to do some reading in pharm to update my drug knowledge. One thing, can any of you tell me how to avoid blacking out from sheer boredom when reading pharm. Thanks
pharm is not boring...wait, are u talking about drugs' pharmacology/pharmacokinetics/pharmaceutics/...?
is phoenixsupra trying to start something here?
Phoenix is always trying to start something. 😉 But, I believe his question was not in jest.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bananaface said:Phoenix is always trying to start something. 😉 But, I believe his question was not in jest.
True, this pharmtard needs some tips. 😉
phoenixsupra said:True, this pharmtard needs some tips. 😉
hmm...I guess you could take breaks...like every other sentence...j/k
sorry dude, can't help you here 😀
Other people in other forums.. ie allo and pre-allo might recomend you take some drug; that will help you read about drugs. 
Oh.. my solution btw would be whiskey.. it helps everything.
lol...and I'm sure it'll help you pay extra attention to the drug you just tookMegalofyia said:Other people in other forums.. ie allo and pre-allo might recomend you take some drug; that will help you read about drugs.![]()
Megalofyia said:Oh.. my solution btw would be whiskey.. it helps everything.
👍Try to relate the individual drugs to the systems that they affect and understand why. Learning brand and generic or dosages is fundamentally boring, but you can always look it up. Knowing about the body systems and how each drug (or drug class) affects them is something that you can't just look up for every patient.phoenixsupra said:I'm about to do some reading in pharm to update my drug knowledge. One thing, can any of you tell me how to avoid blacking out from sheer boredom when reading pharm. Thanks
i honestly don't know how to keep from being incredibly bored....
perhaps JD is right about the way they affect and why but then again that's just basic stuff and typically you can get that out of an abreviated text...
i would say.. look at the book you are reading...
the worst one out there for me (in pcol) was goodman's and gillman's
the shorter, dumber books are sometimes more interesting and may meet your needs for certain subjects.
Though when having to learn structures of sugars in biochem i made up songs i got so bored......
Good luck.
perhaps JD is right about the way they affect and why but then again that's just basic stuff and typically you can get that out of an abreviated text...
i would say.. look at the book you are reading...
the worst one out there for me (in pcol) was goodman's and gillman's
the shorter, dumber books are sometimes more interesting and may meet your needs for certain subjects.
Though when having to learn structures of sugars in biochem i made up songs i got so bored......
Good luck.
I love Goodman & Gillman, but NOT if I have an exam the next day (too much information!). I love my pcol for idiots book too, which is quite the opposite. (Basic Concepts in Pharmacology, by Janet L. Stringer, M.D., Ph.D.)bbmuffin said:i would say.. look at the book you are reading...
the worst one out there for me (in pcol) was goodman's and gillman's
the shorter, dumber books are sometimes more interesting and may meet your needs for certain subjects.
Good luck.
you are a sick sick individual.......jdpharmd? said:I love Goodman & Gillman, but NOT if I have an exam the next day (too much information!). I love my pcol for idiots book too, which is quite the opposite. (Basic Concepts in Pharmacology, by Janet L. Stringer, M.D., Ph.D.)
i do believe that DiPiro's Pharmacotherapy is worse though....
Koda-Kimball I enjoy
try taking some of the drugs yourself.
phoenixsupra said:I'm about to do some reading in pharm to update my drug knowledge. One thing, can any of you tell me how to avoid blacking out from sheer boredom when reading pharm. Thanks
I'm not in pharmacy school yet, but I've always loved reading the PDR. Now that I've had some chemistry and physiology classes it's even more fun. I don't understand boredom.
Troy
twester said:I'm not in pharmacy school yet, but I've always loved reading the PDR. Now that I've had some chemistry and physiology classes it's even more fun. I don't understand boredom.
Troy
The PDR? Yikes.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
PDR is the Devil and taintedtwester said:I'm not in pharmacy school yet, but I've always loved reading the PDR. Now that I've had some chemistry and physiology classes it's even more fun. I don't understand boredom.
Troy
Thanks to everyone who answered my question. Knowing that even the pharmguru's can find this stuff a little snoozy at times is is very helpful to know. I'll redouble my efforts and get back to the books. Good luck with your studies. 🙂 

gah! you have just reminded me that you have to do stuff once you get accepted into pharmacy school.
lol. seriously reading about drugs cant be worse than reading about accounting . i would die if i had to study accounting all the time.
lol. seriously reading about drugs cant be worse than reading about accounting . i would die if i had to study accounting all the time.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 4K