How do you decide whether or not to answer the COVID-19 impact secondary?

XyZ1000

2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2016
I assume this follows the same pattern of "Explain any academic difficulties," where if you don't have something major you shouldn't attract attention to it? Is that correct?

For example, if the essay is optional, should we skip it unless it caused a huge disruption to our life? Would mentioning impacts that weren't "life-changing" or majorly affecting an aspect of the application be seen as whining, as the committee will naturally assume we were affected by it in obvious ways (e.g. extracurriculars ending early, having to learn online)? As another example, I lost a job, which was stressful, but I pretty much immediately found another job, so I didn't really suffer from it and don't know whether or not it merits a mention. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020
I would say you're fine to skip it then. Everyone will have their ECs ending and things going online and adcoms likely expect that at this point.

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Generally speaking, when it comes to optional essay prompts - less is more. Use the space if you were significantly impacted: transitioned to online learning but didn’t have access to technology due to living in a rural area, had to take time off from school to care for a family member, had to get a job to support family financially due to hardship, became homeless, etc which impeded your ability to perform well academically. Don’t use the space to discuss minor things that an adcom would not be aware of (small drop in performance, for example) or can usually anticipate (canceled shadowing / clinical experiences).

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

XyZ1000

2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2016
Generally speaking, when it comes to optional essay prompts - less is more. Use the space if you were significantly impacted: transitioned to online learning but didn’t have access to technology due to living in a rural area, had to take time off from school to care for a family member, had to get a job to support family financially due to hardship, became homeless, etc which impeded your ability to perform well academically. Don’t use the space to discuss minor things that an adcom would not be aware of (small drop in performance, for example) or can usually anticipate (canceled shadowing / clinical experiences).

Thank you for your advice.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.