How do you do your verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richter915

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you pop it open and go straight through in order or do you go to each passage and figure out your order from there. At first I did the straight through method, then I tried to go through the verbal and order myself, and now I'm back to going straight on through.

Members don't see this ad.

straight on through...i figure i'm going to answer them all anyway, so might as well not waste time "triaging".

I did it straight through...i think its time consuming to order them for a cbt.

I'm sorry, but going through and ranking passages is probably the most ridiculous strategy I've ever heard. I'm assuming that those who use this strategy already have trouble finishing. Why waste a large chunk of time "evaluating" the passages? You can't really know how easy or hard a passage is until after you read it and answer the questions. Straight through is the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read really really really fast and answer the questions on the right hand side......REALLY FAST....then i press next......PRESS IT FAST TOO. HAHAHAHAH

I do verbal like I do my women. Straight through, no bells and whistles or wasting time trying to predict what something will be like-- I just jump right in.

And oh yes. I always finish.

I'm sorry, but going through and ranking passages is probably the most ridiculous strategy I've ever heard. I'm assuming that those who use this strategy already have trouble finishing. Why waste a large chunk of time "evaluating" the passages? You can't really know how easy or hard a passage is until after you read it and answer the questions. Straight through is the way to go.

I completely agree, it's a waste of time and hard to judge anyway.

I only triage a passage if it is really nasty. If I find myself unable to understand what the author is trying to say, then I save it for last. I end up doing that about every other practice MCAT. Also, on my computer at home, I lost seven minutes the other night going from the final screen to review omitted, so I am really hesitant to go to the final screen anymore.

I always go in order and answer every question even if it is a guess. I have always been paranoid I would bubble in the wrong questions if I skiped one. I guess the CBT does eliminate that problem. I do not read the questions before the passage. However I am actively reading antisipating MCAT type questions. I find it helpful to read the first paragraph and last paragraph first. This gives me a quick idea of what the passage is really about. Then I skim the first paragraph again and begin reading the remaining passage. I often found I got lost in the passage. But know since I have an idea of what the author is trying to say, I am usually able to see how this paragraph relates back to what the author is trying to say.

i think its funny to rank passages because its kind of banking on NOT finishing all the passages.

I actually do the opposite - when practicing, I notice that I always get sloppy by the end of the section (just from burnout). so if a passage looks easy (like science/politics/econ), I might skip it to hit the harder ones first (e.g. social criticism), so my mind will be sharp.

note: I always finish VR with minutes to spare, so I'm not too worried that a skipped, easy passage will not get completed. if you run out of time, this strategy would be horrible.

I actually do the opposite - when practicing, I notice that I always get sloppy by the end of the section (just from burnout). so if a passage looks easy (like science/politics/econ), I might skip it to hit the harder ones first (e.g. social criticism), so my mind will be sharp.

note: I always finish VR with minutes to spare, so I'm not too worried that a skipped, easy passage will not get completed. if you run out of time, this strategy would be horrible.

I'm the exact opposite, I always try to find the easiest passage first, because I notice I'm more into the groove after a passage or two...I usually save the really hard ones for the very end. That way if I guess, at least I would probably of been guessing anyways :laugh: