How do you find a job in clinical research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylor9999

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am thinking of getting a job doing clinical research. How would I approach looking for the job? do i directly approach physicians/profs or look in some place like monster.com. Where would i find doctors doing clinical research?

thanks,
lee

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that you should visit the websites for the chicago hospitals and look at the employment opportunities section. They will list the jobs available at the hospital, including open lab positions, and how to apply for those positions.

Just look on the website of the closest medical school and do a search for faculty actively involved in the research you're interested in. You can tell if they are active by checking out the dates of their publications. If they are recent then they probably have a lot going on. Email that person and tell them who you are. Then ask if they need someone to help out. That's what I did and after interviewing I got the job right on the spot (clinical research in OB-GYN). It's so simple, but people think that they need to go through hoops to do something like that. JUST ASK SOMEONE. You can also look at the physicians running the residency programs (also on the web) because they're usually huge research people.

Send your letters of interest and CV to a number of labs. Many labs/PIs do NOT post openings, given that too many people (especially IMGs who are looking for residency spots) will apply and make the application process meaningless. You are much more likely to get a position is you are a American college grad (post-bac) who is interested in going to med school or grad school.