How do you find any vacant PGY2 spots in Rads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs2006

student
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no such thing as a national list of open radiology spots. Unless you want sit out a year and try your hand in the match for a PGY2 spot, you've got to do a lot of leg work. Be proactive, NOT reactive:

PROactive:
The best, but least convenient way is cold calling every program you are interested in (and even not interested in), introducing yourself in an unobtrusive manner and leaving your CV. Talk to the radiology PD and Chairman at your institution. Rarely you can get an insider tip at your institution about expanding a spot or that a resident has to take leave for family reasons.

Reactive:
By the time someone posts an opening on Auntminnie.com, usually its already too late.

If you want it bad enough, and you're willing to work for it, you can find a spot.
Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
when should we start calling up?
december???
thanks

I really should quit smoking. When should I start-- in December?
I need to lose weight, when should I start dieting and exercising -- in December?
I'd like to start an investment portfolio. Should I wait until December?

Ask yourself-- would waiting until December, smack dab in the middle of an academic year, letting any spots that come up between now and December go to someone else who has the initiative to begin calling sooner-- would that be considered proactive?

Why not start NOW?!? Why didn't you start last month? Its the begining of the academic year, its much easier to finish 'on cycle' with other residents, if you begin your residency at the beginning of the academic year.

If you want to do something in life, go out there and make it happen!

Good luck~ :luck: