1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you find any vacant PGY2 spots in Rads?

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by rs2006, Jul 16, 2006.

1. rs2006

rs2006 student
    7+ Year Member

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TY06

TY06 Member
    5+ Year Member

4. hans19

hans19 I'm back...
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There is no such thing as a national list of open radiology spots. Unless you want sit out a year and try your hand in the match for a PGY2 spot, you've got to do a lot of leg work. Be proactive, NOT reactive:

PROactive:
    The best, but least convenient way is cold calling every program you are interested in (and even not interested in), introducing yourself in an unobtrusive manner and leaving your CV. Talk to the radiology PD and Chairman at your institution. Rarely you can get an insider tip at your institution about expanding a spot or that a resident has to take leave for family reasons.

Reactive:
    By the time someone posts an opening on Auntminnie.com, usually its already too late.

If you want it bad enough, and you're willing to work for it, you can find a spot.
    Good luck

5. srbutros

srbutros Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    when should we start calling up?
    december???
    thanks

6. hans19

hans19 I'm back...
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I really should quit smoking. When should I start-- in December?
    I need to lose weight, when should I start dieting and exercising -- in December?
    I'd like to start an investment portfolio. Should I wait until December?

Ask yourself-- would waiting until December, smack dab in the middle of an academic year, letting any spots that come up between now and December go to someone else who has the initiative to begin calling sooner-- would that be considered proactive?

Why not start NOW?!? Why didn't you start last month? Its the begining of the academic year, its much easier to finish 'on cycle' with other residents, if you begin your residency at the beginning of the academic year.

If you want to do something in life, go out there and make it happen!

Good luck~ :luck: