How do you formally withdraw from a school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellen Robb

DocMom
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am withdrawing from a school that didn't give me any scholarship money in favor or one that gave me a nice package. Do you just send an E-Mail on the 15th or is a formal letter required? I notified the school that I am dropping about the scholarship and asked if they were planning to offer me any scholarship money....I also mentioned that I liked their school alot but the money would weigh
heavily on my final decision. I actually liked this school a tiny bit better but.......anyway.....What is the proper way to say thanks but no thanks?

Members don't see this ad.

I am withdrawing from a school that didn't give me any scholarship money in favor or one that gave me a nice package. Do you just send an E-Mail on the 15th or is a formal letter required? I notified the school that I am dropping about the scholarship and asked if they were planning to offer me any scholarship money....I also mentioned that I liked their school alot but the money would weigh
heavily on my final decision. I actually liked this school a tiny bit better but.......anyway.....What is the proper way to say thanks but no thanks?

It needs to be in writing, so call them to see if they would like it via email or snail mail. If you know now, however, why wait until May 15th? Call them Monday and send them a letter whichever way they prefer. Most schools are okay with emails, though.