how do you get into "Cool" research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nshalaby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been reading the different research people have done on the forums and i have to say i get a little jealous. At my university i just got done doing research which had to do with endocrinology and fecundity on fruit flies...and honestly thats about as far as it goes for the research portion at my university. Is there ways to get into research aside from what your university has to offer? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Design your own "cool" project and get funding

yeah. no one tells you what you have to research. if you want to research something "cool" (which is a subjective term), write the grant.....unless you're an undergrad who wants to put "reseach" on your resume and has no interest in being a real scientist in which case, you will at best get hired on as a research assistant to do scut work.

if you have no idea where to start, go start a masters program in something that interests you like microbiology or molec genetics for example...learn how to do research and write grants...then write your own grant, design and research your own project, publish your thesis, and live happily ever after.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the research I do is pretty awesome. I work in a health psych lab, if you're interested in that at all. We mostly work with eating/dieting. It's really interesting and fun because you get to work with people as participants. There's also labs in psych with MRI's and stuff that are probably pretty cool to work in.

Ive been reading the different research people have done on the forums and i have to say i get a little jealous. At my university i just got done doing research which had to do with endocrinology and fecundity on fruit flies...and honestly thats about as far as it goes for the research portion at my university. Is there ways to get into research aside from what your university has to offer? thanks

Hmmm. You mean like counting the number of grizzly bears in a population? That'd be fun.

Having done both ISPs in research, Gen Chem and beginning research in neuro-physiology in a capacity as a research assistant the best way is to find a professor who shares your interests. I'm in the honors program and I receive funding to do an honors thesis which I will use in Gen Chem and my neuro-phys work is NIH funded via a grant to my PI. I received this because in the case of the first one I was friendly with the professor and he took me under his wing. In the other case there was a university wide competition for the spot and an interview. To have the best chance to get these positions A) talk to professors B) start somewhere, I landed the second position due to my prior research experience C) Maintain a strong GPA, again that landed me the neuro-phys spot D) Be well read and able to interview. I am lucky I have a lot of autonomy in lab and on the second project I receive a decent salary. I'm expected to get published in both and have great departmental support. However, I'm at an advantage as there is no chem major or graduate level courses and no neuro-science PhD or DO/PhDs. My suggestion is to look at people in the field you're interested in and make a concerted effort to get to know them. Also seek autonomy in the lab. I have 0 scut work in lab. I'm there to do research work, I'm not there to clean glassware, you should look for the same. Also find someone you can get along with and who is well respected in their field as well as settled in to the university. Ask if they will list you as at least second author or as the author if they plan to submit work also ask about conference attendance. I'm fortunate in this although it is demanding and it eats up a lot of free time.

Something to think about. While something might be cool the first time you do it, if you want any serious amount of data you're going to be running through the protocol a lot of times and it won't be nearly as cool when you get done as when you started.