How do you guys like the Dragon software?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leewa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a easy one?

Members don't see this ad.

I just had it installed on my office computer a few weeks ago, a medical verison supposedly tailored specifically to pathology. It's going to be a long and steep learning curve. I'm occasionally surprised at how good it is--it knew how to spell "ceroid-laden macrophages" but more often annoyed at how stupid it can be.

It is nowhere near as good as a human transcriptionist--our transcriptionists sometimes seem to be reading my mind. And, I can talk pretty much as fast as I want and not have to worry about formatting anything. Unfortunately, transcriptionists cost $40k a year or so (I think), while Dragon costs $1500 per install.

Completely worthless. I was part of an experiment at a major med center like 10 years ago (damn Im old..) and it sucked then. Now it only sucks slightly worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use Dragon voice extensively for a substantial portion of my dictation. Virtually all of my papers, grants, and letters are written with Dragon voice. In fact, this is dictated with my headset on.

It is not as good as a great transcriptionist, but the results are instantaneous and the software is always available. I am nearly evangelical in my support of voice recognition software, although I do recognize that not everyone shares my enthusiasm.

Dan Remick
Boston University School of Medicine

It makes me want to stab the computer with whatever knife I'm currently grossing with.

Has anyone noticed that Dan Remick at BU says the exact opposite to what LADoc, Pathwrath and ExPCM say. Now its gone beyond job market issues all the way down to Dragon Voice. Keep it coming its great stuff!

Has anyone noticed that Dan Remick at BU says the exact opposite to what LADoc, Pathwrath and ExPCM say. Now its gone beyond job market issues all the way down to Dragon Voice. Keep it coming its great stuff!

:D cute observation.

perhaps i've been watching too many old movies during my weeks off before starting my new job (read: star wars....), but is it possible that Dan Remick IS LaDoC, in disguise?? :laugh::D;) an alter ego? jk of course

okay, back to baywatch.

Last edited:
perhaps i've been watching too many old movies during my weeks off before starting my new job (read: star wars....), but is it possible that Dan Remick IS LaDoC, in disguise?? :laugh::D;) an alter ego?

okay, back to baywatch.

Of course, there may be a way to get closer to validating your hypothesis...I think mods have the ability to track where the posts are coming from; perhaps this is related to their ability to track IP addresses associated with each post.

I will start a campaign to be a mod. I'll start posting helpful posts, kiss up to the admins, and become buddy buddy with the already existing admins, supermods, and mods in the Doctors Lounge. It'll be a long, treacherous road but I may get there in a year...in which case, I can perform this sleuth work myself :D

Anyways, I'm being facetious. Your hypothesis is a tantalizing one and I like it...but I doubt it :)

Any other opinions on Dragon for pathologists? Have things improved mrp?

I've tried it but it isn't really my style. I seem to be able to go faster with typing it out myself or having a sequence of commonly-used things that I cut and paste. Most of my stuff now goes through transcription though. I would use it if it was significantly faster or improved my day, but it doesn't for me. Kind of a personal choice. Some people really like it, some people really hate it, others (like me) don't really care one way or another.

I liked it for grossing large specimens. For small specimens like GI biopsies and shave biopsies, I preferred dictating to a transcriptionist.

I like it for one specific thing--dictating microscopic description. Before I had Dragon installed, I would constantly shift from my microscope to the computer and back. Now, with a wireless headphone, I just sit on my scope and dictate away. Accuracy is generally quite good, but I of course have to proof read. I'm still bad at doing all the bells and whistles, like formatting, on the fly.

I like it.

It's not any better than a good transcriptionist, but it is valuable to be able to sign out cases immediately, without waiting for the dictations to come back. That in itself saves me quite a lot of time.

I don't think the "general vocabulary" function is that great- that is, I don't use it much to dictate letters or emails (though I am using it for this post), but for using within Cerner, the recognition and speed are good. I'm able to talk at the same speed and with the same inflections as when I'm dictating to a transcriptionist.

I like it for one specific thing--dictating microscopic description. Before I had Dragon installed, I would constantly shift from my microscope to the computer and back. Now, with a wireless headphone, I just sit on my scope and dictate away. Accuracy is generally quite good, but I of course have to proof read. I'm still bad at doing all the bells and whistles, like formatting, on the fly.

for the most part i've been happy with dragon and frankly for biopsy signout it's really helpful if you have a wireless headset and can blast through a bunch of glass without having to type. for more difficult cases I usually end up typing. but for someone who essentially refused to use our send-out transcription service during residency and typed the whole time, i must say i'm beginning to get dependent on dragon (a good thing) and have become more efficient (and with less carpal tunnel-like sx's). Now in practice, our secretaries who apparently used to be the transcriptionists for the group now screen/edit our gross dictations ever since they got dragon several years ago, so you can see the impact already. Notably, you realllllly got proof your reports, b/c sometimes only 1 word will be changed in the middle of the sentence, and the spellcheck won't pick it up. i've had a few clinicians call me back for amendments for silly errors i missed.

a most recent dragon error, which i fortunately caught before i sent it out:
(a gross-only hip replacement)

dx line (what i said):
Femoral hip, left, arthroplasty:

dx line (what dragon "heard"):
Some oral head, left, ask me nicely:

I like it for certain situations.. dictating autopsy reports and muscle biopsies is much easier sometimes with dragon. It's like every new tool though.. if I'm allowed to add it to the other options I have (typing myself, dictation, filling in templates) it adds freedom to my job. If someone were to say that's all we're using from now on it would be a prison that would completely suck.

--- for the most part, Dragon spells WAY more accurately than I do

Last edited:
at our institution we have dragon, but it is supported by a company called voicebrook. They support it and have their own programs to suplement it (templates and other things). I agree that it isn't as bad as people make it out but it is far from being as good as an average transcriptionist.