How do you handle??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MzzMisty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for some of you that are currently in med school. I am not yet even close to going to med school and yet I can't seem to get away from my friends badgering me about how I don't spend enough time with them. They tell me that they are worried that I am going to waste my youth by being involved in school and work. I currently go to school and I work, and the thing is, I work Thurs Fri Sat Sun. which are of course days that they primarily go out to relax and let loose. Well I was wondering do you deal with the friends that are like that? I can't seem to get it through their heads that they aren't paying my bills and taking my classes.. I do miss them and wish I had more time to spend with them, but I am unable to think of a solution. I am after all 27 and it's not like I haven't already done most of those things. So in this case I thought I would ask how everyone else handles these situations. Thanks in advance.. Misty

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for some of you that are currently in med school. I am not yet even close to going to med school and yet I can't seem to get away from my friends badgering me about how I don't spend enough time with them. They tell me that they are worried that I am going to waste my youth by being involved in school and work. I currently go to school and I work, and the thing is, I work Thurs Fri Sat Sun. which are of course days that they primarily go out to relax and let loose. Well I was wondering do you deal with the friends that are like that? I can't seem to get it through their heads that they aren't paying my bills and taking my classes.. I do miss them and wish I had more time to spend with them, but I am unable to think of a solution. I am after all 27 and it's not like I haven't already done most of those things. So in this case I thought I would ask how everyone else handles these situations. Thanks in advance.. Misty

Your time will be limited. Many of the less strong friendships won't last while you are in med school. You will have to make new friends who "get it".

In medical school (especially if you have a family), all non-essential friendships pretty much grind to a halt. It is important to make time for close friends and a balanced person will do that naturally.

Medical school is a lot of work, but it's not THAT bad. Keep in mind that it's not an endeavor that is consistent with a working schedule at the same time, and not having that will give you time. Medical school is a full-time job, so you have loans. If you don't take yourself too seriously and if you are organized with your time, it's not a bad ride. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
In medical school (especially if you have a family), all non-essential friendships pretty much grind to a halt. It is important to make time for close friends and a balanced person will do that naturally.

Medical school is a lot of work, but it's not THAT bad. Keep in mind that it's not an endeavor that is consistent with a working schedule at the same time, and not having that will give you time. Medical school is a full-time job, so you have loans. If you don't take yourself too seriously and if you are organized with your time, it's not a bad ride. Good luck!

I think this is a good point. Close, mutually supportive friendships will naturally weather the tide. Otoh, if "friends" care more about getting you to go out and party with them (at the expense of your whole Future), then they seem rather "fair weather" to me... life's not all sunshine and partying or having a good time. A good friend will put your welfare first and want what's best for you...

Your time will be limited. Many of the less strong friendships won't last while you are in med school. You will have to make new friends who "get it".
Agree.

OP, show me a person who isn't on board with your goals and aspirations, and I'll show you a friendship that's doomed. That goes for romantic relationships as well; my ex could never understand why I couldn't get home from the lab on a set schedule like he wanted me to do. Well, that's not how chemistry experiments go. You don't tell the molecules to sit tight and not decompose on you because you feel like going out for drinks right now. When there's time-sensitive work to do, you stay and you do it. It's all about doing whatever is your top priority at that moment. Likewise in med school. If you have an exam coming up, the partying takes a back seat. So do the people who don't "get it." The great thing is, you'll meet a bunch of new people who do get it after you get here. :)

I've found that everyone I was really close to and who really understood my dream is 100% on board with me. When I do get to go out, they are so excited but I never feel like they are nagging me or upset with me when I can't. My best friend since high school is across the country, and she calls and leaves cute messages on my cell, and knows some weeks I don't have enuf time to call back, but ever few weeks we have one of our crazy multihour gabfests. Some people won't get it, my almost-sister in law scheduled her wedding a week out from my first MS2 exam, which means I can't fly home and be a bridesmaid. I told her ahead of time what dates I would be able to make it, and I'm not upset with her for choosing a different date, but she is upset with me. My uncle is taking my hubby and I to vegas this summer and he scheduled the vacation to fit my schedule, and sister in law told my mother in law that I was going to vegas instead of her wedding!! Some people won't get it, but if they don't they aren't really supporting you or understanding whats important to you.