Singh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
Sweden
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello,

How do you react when lay people ask you about a simple illness, f.ex. a cold. What is your approach? Do you shake them off and advice them to seek a physician, or do you try to help?

I had one of these experiences earlier today with my best friend's mother who had been ill for some three weeks.
PS. I haven't had microbiology yet, perhaps that helps? ;-)

Any advice is appreciated.

Stinger86

Intern year? Ha!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Palookaville
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Well since a cold is often caused by a virus for which there is no "cure", the condition is more of a nuisance than a debilitation. Buy some Vicks, drink some hot tea (not coffee), stop eating ice cream and cake, take some hot showers, and have some sex (raises core body temperature). Take your pick. ;)

Freeeedom!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2001
I am a ninja
Status (Visible)
Anyone ill for 3 weeks should seek the advice of a physician. I know it is difficult as medical students, you are in a position of "power" with relatives (and no one else), but avoiding advice until your clinical years is usually the best mode of action or inaction.

love ya

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.