How do you improve BS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

instigata

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I started with a 9 in BS and I am now at a 10. I spent about five weeks reviewing material and all I have to show for it is one stinkin point! :mad: I raised my Verbal by 6 and my PS by 5, but my BS won't budge. Any suggestions on how to improve? Thanks, much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

BrettBatchelor said:
Hmm...BS seems to be the section that improves the most with studying.

I'd say it's PS. BS is more passage based so prior knowledge won't help as much since the passages are pretty specific. The PS questions could really all be discretes if you add a couple more words/numbers to each question.

I think only my PS and VR can improve, BS will stay around the same, +/- 1 point.

I too hated BS, but recently realized the two most effective ways (at least for me to improve in the section) was to

1) Make sure you carefully review your practice tests and practice questions. That includes going over what else they could have asked, and why each individualanswer choice is right and wrong. This will help solify your fondational knowledge.

2) Understand what topics you struggle with. Personally I hated genetics, developmental bio, and immunology. I hit those topics hardcore and my score went from a 9 to an 11, than with using step one I was able to get it to 13 on my last practice test.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, i agree. PS is much easier to improve upon than BS. I think that your powers of logical deduction are tested more in BS, as most questions ask you to determine or predict something from the info given in passage.

instigata said:
Hi,

I started with a 9 in BS and I am now at a 10. I spent about five weeks reviewing material and all I have to show for it is one stinkin point! :mad: I raised my Verbal by 6 and my PS by 5, but my BS won't budge. Any suggestions on how to improve? Thanks, much appreciated.

hey how did you improve VERBAL BY 6 POINTS??? i would really appriciate your advice. and yeah for the verbal the post above me that person said it correctly. that's how i did it, by going back to question.

WilliamsF1 said:
I'd say it's PS. BS is more passage based so prior knowledge won't help as much since the passages are pretty specific. The PS questions could really all be discretes if you add a couple more words/numbers to each question.

I think only my PS and VR can improve, BS will stay around the same, +/- 1 point.
Brett doesn't need to study for PS...he's a physics major. :p