How do you keep your motivation high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primate Bonobo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all the pre-meds out there - how do you keep your motivation high?

Members don't see this ad.

mine was addicted to crystal meth but after months of rehab and a new perspective on life, he's decided that he'll never get high again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get some rough grades? Or are you finding it tough to study?

Did you get some rough grades? Or are you finding it tough to study?

My grades are actually good, it's just that I'm finding it harder and harder to study, and easier and easier to get distracted.

If I continue down this path, well... things won't look good for me.

Sounds like you're young and you're forcing yourself down this path.

Maybe you should explore something different?

Get competitive. I'll be honest with you, what I do is either have friends in classes that I can compete with, or I go after a girl in the class and use the fact that I'm getting better grades as a flirting point. Also it keeps me motivated due to the fact that I don't want to embarrass myself in front of said girl by getting bad grades.

Also, a steady diet of partying will allow you to recharge your batteries. And then once in a while going on autotrader and going thru the luxury cars and knowing I'll be driving one of those. Maybe going on Zillow and finding houses I can potentially live in.

The fact that I've told so many people that I'm going to be a doctor motivates me. I can't screw up, or I'll look like a man who has no word. All a man has is his word.

Get competitive. I'll be honest with you, what I do is either have friends in classes that I can compete with, or I go after a girl in the class and use the fact that I'm getting better grades as a flirting point. Also it keeps me motivated due to the fact that I don't want to embarrass myself in front of said girl by getting bad grades.

Also, a steady diet of partying will allow you to recharge your batteries. And then once in a while going on autotrader and going thru the luxury cars and knowing I'll be driving one of those. Maybe going on Zillow and finding houses I can potentially live in.

The fact that I've told so many people that I'm going to be a doctor motivates me. I can't screw up, or I'll look like a man who has no word. All a man has is his word.

Thanks for this.
I'm not much of a party goer, but I think I definitely need to find an activity to blow my steam off.

And yes, you're right... Looking back, I realized some of the times I've been most motivated was due to competition. Maybe competition is what motivates me.