How do you know if medicine is for you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCallMeMaybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was originally in business and then switched to premed last fall and I'm halfway through premed. I have shadowed and really enjoyed it and thought medicine was for me. But it is very discouraging that the education is over 10 years left including undergrad and I would still have a median starting salary compared to business salaries.

I probably have a 3.5 science gpa right now and 3.5 overall too. I almost want to take so time off and do like the peace corps or study abroad or travel or something to see the world and see if I can find out what I want to do for the rest of my life.

People say find the job that makes you the happiest and I dont know if medicine is that one. My original reasons for doing premed was to chase a high salary and to have a job with great perks but i would like doing I too but I don't know my passion yet and I'm not sure if I ever will find it.

Anyone ever feel discouraged or have similar experiences?

Advice would really be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I was originally in business and then switched to premed last fall and I'm halfway through premed. I have shadowed and really enjoyed it and thought medicine was for me. But it is very discouraging that the education is over 10 years left including undergrad and I would still have a median starting salary compared to business salaries.

I probably have a 3.5 science gpa right now and 3.5 overall too. I almost want to take so time off and do like the peace corps or study abroad or travel or something to see the world and see if I can find out what I want to do for the rest of my life.

People say find the job that makes you the happiest and I dont know if medicine is that one. My original reasons for doing premed was to chase a high salary and to have a job with great perks but i would like doing I too but I don't know my passion yet and I'm not sure if I ever will find it.

This answer says to me that you would probably NOT be happy in medicine. If you are not certain that medicine is your passion, it may not be worth it after all. Have you done any shadowing, or spent time in hospitals? Have you gotten any experience in another career field, in a job or internship? I would recommend doing all of these things before committing yourself to 7+ years of training and $200k+ of debt.

This answer says to me that you would probably NOT be happy in medicine. If you are not certain that medicine is your passion, it may not be worth it after all. Have you done any shadowing, or spent time in hospitals? Have you gotten any experience in another career field, in a job or internship? I would recommend doing all of these things before committing yourself to 7+ years of training and $200k+ of debt.

Stability is a major factor for all of us and anyone denying that is simply stuck in the premed "altruistic" mindset.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stability is a major factor for all of us and anyone denying that is simply stuck in the premed "altruistic" mindset.

Who said it shouldn't be? I never did. I'm not one of those people who thinks everyone should go into medicine solely "to help people", that's crap. I think you should go into medicine because you love the field. OP said s/he wanted to go into medicine primarily for the money and the perks. I'm saying that if these are the main reasons, s/he is going to be in for a huge shock down the line. If medicine isn't your passion and you think you'd be just as happy doing something else, there are plenty of other careers that offer financial stability and don't require 7+ years of post-secondary education.

Exciting environment/cases (planning to do big whack Vascular Surgery)
Life-long learning
Altruism
Prestige
Stability
Money

In approximately that order. Medicine is right for me because I could name all of those off the top of my head without hesitation.

I felt discouraged when I did not get in the first year I applied, but I applied again and got accepted in October to my top choice (earliest possible time to be accepted).

To be honest, my dream is to be challenged every day. I knew medicine was for me because of my love for science, humanism, and a passion for learning.

If all you want is money and perks, medicine will give you that. However, medicine will also give you a ton of **** as well.

Your primary reason for doing ANY job should be to get paid. Period.

If that's your main reason for wanting to do medicine--who cares? You work your ass off, you should be paid.

My uncle buys, fixes, sales cars. He loves everything about cars. But, he aint doing it for fun.

My dad used to coal mine--dangerous busienss. It pays pretty darn good for rural KY. He didn't think he was helping the world enjoy their electricity.

Get real.

You have to have A job to have a life. May as well have one that pays, and "has good perks."

If you want to be Mr. Altruism--join the Peace Corps, hell of a lot cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user
Top reason to go into medicine: Immunity from politics

:laugh: this is wrong on so many levels. You can not escape politics no matter what you do. Medicine is one of the worst. Government politics invades almost every sector of medicine. Hospital politics are a major issue for any hospital based physicians. Group politics affect every physician.

Your primary reason for doing ANY job should be to get paid. Period.

If that's your main reason for wanting to do medicine--who cares? You work your ass off, you should be paid.

My uncle buys, fixes, sales cars. He loves everything about cars. But, he aint doing it for fun.

My dad used to coal mine--dangerous busienss. It pays pretty darn good for rural KY. He didn't think he was helping the world enjoy their electricity.

Get real.

You have to have A job to have a life. May as well have one that pays, and "has good perks."

If you want to be Mr. Altruism--join the Peace Corps, hell of a lot cheaper.
+100000000

Best answer on SDN ever.

Sent from my phone! Blame it on the a-a-autocorrect.

Shadow different types of physicians. Read self-reflection books written by doctors. Talk to medical students and residents.

I would suggest watching NOVA's Doctors Diaries. It's available on Netflix. Figure out which character you can most relate to and see if they're happy as attendings. Better yet, just see if their description of the career seems worth it. It's a little dated but I'm sure the overall themes are still applicable.

(sent from my phone - please forgive typos)

:laugh: this is wrong on so many levels. You can not escape politics no matter what you do. Medicine is one of the worst. Government politics invades almost every sector of medicine. Hospital politics are a major issue for any hospital based physicians. Group politics affect every physician.

Example/elaborate?

That's one of the reasons that I chose Medicine also. I figure that there's no time for politics/personal feelings when you're standing over a body with someone's life in your hands.

I just wanted to say that any field, in order to receive the best out of whatever you do, in particular medicine there genuinely must be the presence of genuinely having empathy, a drive to dedicate your time, knowledge, and life to the betterment of medicine (whatever meaning you deem to give it).

So in short, if you love what you do success will follow you.

Bro (or she-Bro):

Before you go any further, you need to read The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham. You're welcome.