How do you know if you've torn something?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ice_23

Economics Monster
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting this, but I figured Orthopaedic people could help me out here. If this is not the forum for such a query, I apologize in advance.

How does one know if he's torn something in his knee? To cut to the chase, I was playing basketball and sort of hyperextended my left leg at the knee. I didn't feel any pain until about 10 minutes later when suddenly it hurt to run. I can walk pretty well, but flexing my knee hurts.

Is it possible to tear something in your knee but still be able to walk and do other things (like forget about the pain when watching the yanks/bo sox game)? Effectively, what should I do, just sleep it off and see what happens (i.e. how seriously should I take this)?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks,

Ice

P.S. Ironically, I had just set up an appointment to research and shadow with an orthopaedic surgeon before going out to play bball.... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I would wait until your knee swells up really tight and gets red and hot. After you spike a temp to 108 and can't walk, then have a family member take you to the doctor. If this never happens, then you should be fine.

wooo said:
I would wait until your knee swells up really tight and gets red and hot. After you spike a temp to 108 and can't walk, then have a family member take you to the doctor. If this never happens, then you should be fine.

Thanks wooo, I think my knee is fine. I just wanted to make sure nothing serious happened. :)

-Ice

Members don't see this ad :)
:)

good to know that a little sarcastic humor doesn't offend. Take care of that knee...you only have two of 'em.