How do you list research in your CV during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I did research in undergrad, listing research was much easier as I was working under one PI for a longitudinal project. However, much of my research experience in medical school has been totally different. I'm involved in two or three projects at a time, some across different departments and disciplines, sometimes I'm working with the attending in charge of the project, sometimes I never even see the attending. There is also a much higher turnover in projects in groups I'm working with such that it makes it difficult to write about the type of project I am working on because it changes so often. Any tips on how to frame research in a resume or CV, especially when applying to funded research programs outside of my institution?

Members don't see this ad.

Before I had any publications, I listed projects. I typically listed the PI on the project, as well as what my role was, and, depending on how many other people were on the project, their roles as well.

Reactions: 1 users
^ The above is good advice. If you're looking for conciseness and organization: categorize by department, project, or lead PI.

Sometimes, it’s less about the project that is published but can you actually talk about the project with passion and interest.

Many people who do projects for the sake of publications, when it comes to interviews, are terrible liars.