MD & DO How to list research activities on CV/ERAS ..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medDaisuki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am an M2 and I just have some questions about how to report our research activities on an application such as ERAS. I am just trying to figure out how to list them to look more competitive for residency/research fellowship applications.

1. If we contributed to a research poster, but we are not the one that actually presented it to the meeting, should we still put them in our CV?
What if there is an abstract associated with the poster and had my name on it, can i add it to my CV?

2. if I have a poster. like a case study, and i presented the same poster on different conferences, how do i list it on CV/ERAS? If we can list it only once, does that mean its probably not worth it to present it to multiple meetings?

3. For poster presentations or projects we did during undergrad, can we put them on CV or ERAS?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes you can list a poster you didn’t present - on eras I would just make it clear who the presenter was. That is, you could cite it as something like:

person a (presenter), person B, person C. (Year). Title, meeting.

Do not list both an abstract and poster for the same project unless they were submitted independent of each other. That is - if you present a project at a conference and then submit it to a journal and it is published, include both. If, however, the conference say “we publish all accepted abstracts in an issue of a journal” just include it once on your CV.

2) You should not present the same project at multiple conferences. If you did, only list it once on your cv/eras. If you list it more than once, anybody who knows anything about research will think of the application as knowingly inflated.

3) Yes you can include things from undergrad - a scientific conference is a scientific conference. If you mean like a poster at an undergrad research day and not an actual scientific meeting it is a bit less straightforward - you can include it, just recognize it may mean little to many, and it certainly should not be included on your cv for anything beyond this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For 1, first author is usually the presenter, so just make it clear on your CV.
For 2, I would include it if you did like a poster at one conference then an oral presentation at another or something.