How do you live as a student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frozen_canadian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the talk about debt, I thought it would be interesting to see how we all live - what our living situation is and have kind of luxuries we have/do without. I'll start.

Luxuries - internet, cable, cell phone, car, the very occasional flight home.

Non-luxuries - 2 roommates, biking to school in the middle of winter (parking is $$$), taking the best paying summer job I can find every year.

Members don't see this ad.

Oooh, interesting thread!

Non-luxuries: No TV, no internet (I can sometimes get free Wifi), no going out to eat, always bring lunch from home, no movies in theaters, no new clothes or accessories, I work part time during school and two jobs in the summers.

Luxuries: Netflix, quality food (I'm a foodie and I won't buy crap and make most of my things from scratch), no roommates, National Geographic magazine.

I do get help with the car and phone since we're still on a family plan, but it's the super cheap plan and pretty much I only talk a lot at night and there's no text or other fancy stuff. With money from work I can take care of most things, even books and parking, except lot rent which comes from loans.

I live in a trailer and I guess that can be seen as a luxury or non-luxury depending on how spoiled you are :) I think it's good trailer, so I lean to luxury.

Last edited:
I notice no one is listing their pets as a luxury? Don't worry, I won't either. They're certainly necessities for us. Truthfully!

This is only as a college undergrad - things may change in the future!

Luxuries: Nice cell phone and service, cable TV with HD package (husband's idea), cable internet from the fastest tier (also his idea), two cars (2006 & 2008), a 3 bedroom house, eating out 1-2 times a week.

Non-luxuries: I eat chips and soda for lunch every day... we have macaroni and cheese for dinner at least once a week... ???

Okay, so apparently I'm spoiled rotten. We aren't the best financial planners, so perhaps this thread should be an indication of what we could do without. I will mention that the cars are a must because we live too far from anywhere to bike, and the road to bike along (no sidewalk) is dangerous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hrm, let's see....

Luxuries: a good desktop computer and a laptop (which was a gift from my parents), cable in the house (though it's downstairs), $400 a month rent (all bills paid in a great house; I consider this a huge luxury! Especially since parents pay the rent), nice car (2005 which parents pay for, except gas) with good MPG, motorcycle (which I pay for), and parents willing to foot more of the bill (though I hate mooching off them so I don't take them up on it), live close enough to campus that I can drive on rainy days and ride my bike (pedal kind, not vroom vroom kind) on nice days

Non-luxuries: Boring job that I quit to find a more interesting job with higher pay (and having problems doing that...), not in vet school :)p), three roommates (can get noisy when everyone's hanging out and I'm having to study), eat crappy food in attempt to keep costs down.

Probably more to each category but I'm drawing a blank.

Last edited:
I will go from what I had in undergrad (very different then now, with 7 years out and an older husband with a good career.)

Luxuries: a pet turtle, tomato plants, a microwave, hotplate, and mini fridge, a 'free' dorm room in exchange for being an RA, the opportunity to do research, excellent professors, a 1980 (note I was born in 1979) chevy standard with 200k+ miles on it (odometer stopped turning at 200k), a desk in the bio wing for research/ta/tutor work, ethernet, a 386 PC, gown for graduation (gift from research advisor), microwave air popper for popcorn

Non-luxuries-tap water as only beverage ever, working 40-50+ hours per week with classes (80+ without), not including RA tasks, working hard labor positions for long hours to make money, waking up at 4am to start work, and going to bed after the late shift (1am) most days/nights of college, beans and rice out of warehouse bags for 95% of meals, no phone (not cell, not dorm), walked everywhere within 3 miles of any part of campus (car was only for driving to the research centers 30minutes, 1 hours, and 2 hours away), no visits home, family couldn't/wouldn't afford to come to graduation,

Hmmm.... maybe there is a good reason I worry about how much vet school will cost and my future debt:income ratio! I already know what it is like to pay a large chunk of monthly income in student loans.... and what happens when you get sick, in a car wreck, get hit by a natural disaster, etc

Last edited:
Luxuries: A cell phone (my parents pay for it), a tv with free cable (included in my rent), video games (PS2 and GC), a laptop, a car (it's a '99, but whatever, it's still a car. My parents are paying for my insurance), and I'm paying extra "pet rent" to keep my turtle and cat with me.

Non-luxuries: No internet (I usually go to the library for this), no bathtub (just a shower), old apt and appliances from the '50s, no bed (just mattresses on the floor lol), and I usually eat the cheapest food I can find (mac and cheese, hot dogs, eggs, frozen burritos, etc), a table from the junkyard that is dual-purpose as a desk and a "kitchen table", tomboyish wardrobe that I've had since high school.

As the proverbial poor graduate students...my SO and I don't really live like it much. ;)

Luxuries: DirecTV with NFL Sunday Ticket (personally I do not consider this a luxury but I do understand that most people do. ;) ), cable internet (I pay a lot for this since I don't use Comcast's cable TV service :rolleyes: ), tablet PC laptop plus my linux desktop, enough video games to keep us occupied until the end of time, my expensive shoes habit, my expensive ice hockey habit, technically my pocketPC phone and cell phone service with unlimited texting and internet and such but really I only pay $30/month for it because of customer loyalty stuff, higher line hair care products and hair dye (I bleached streaks into it that I dye various colors - purple right now - and so it's pretty high maintenance to keep it looking good), 2 bedroom duplex for only one couple

Non-luxuries: No car (this is a big one, I think!) so I use public transport/walk/ride my bicycle everywhere, the temps for heat and a/c are set to really low and really high respectively, MOST of my recently bought clothes are thrifted (but honestly I like thrifting so it doesn't bother me!), don't buy red meat and eat mostly local, seasonal veggies and only drink water (though this is by choice)...

hmm, there really isn't much. :laugh:

Luxuries: Not having to pay rent, cable, internet (live with parents) and I make nothing at work/Have a cell phone on a family plan and give my portion with my unlimited texting or if I buy a ring tone/I have a space heater in my room b/c the cold makes me unhappy so if I didn't have this, I would have to live under covers and get ice hands/I have a car with my dads tags on it and he did this so I could save money paying for insurance which saves me $$/live in a nice town close to many things that people like? (shopping malls, places to eat, taking public transportation easy.

Non luxuries: In debt majorly. Every month I been trying to have some money so I can buy some new cloths and it hasn't happened since christimas. I owe 2,000 dollars in tutiton and 2,000 to my parents for letting me borrow some money. My car needs some work which is going to cost me about 1,000, medical bills, paying for a desk.. So, because of this I work two part time jobs and can't quit one, can't do a internship this summer, maybe I can't get dive cert like I wanted this summer./ I buy food sometimes and sometimes I don't because I try to save money and just eat whatever. My pharm job takes 45 mins to go. ehh money runs my life these days. I am always used to having at the min 1,000 in savings in case something happened.

I am sure I can add things more, but also can't think of it right now.

This is a great idea! So I'm actually a graduate student (and TA) right now, so while I am poor, I am also earning a stipend.
Non-Luxuries: live in a small 1 bedroom apt w/my boyfriend, bike nearly everywhere, don't eat out, bring lunch from home each day, don't use heat and very rarely use A/C (even then, only for a portion of the day).

Luxuries: internet, cable, big screen tv (this is my boyfriend's toy:)), vehicle (although I'm lucky enough to not have to make any payments other than gas), I buy good food as well (no fast food or junk here) here's the big one, I have 2 horses on which I pay board, (if I mention the boys I guess I should also mention the smelly beasts-aka the 2 cats). I split the above with my boyfriend (except the horses).

Luxuries: Cable, internet, TV, decent food (bought in bulk), a car, and my cats. We only pay for medical bills and kitty litter with them. My fiance and I also have game systems and games that we play on a regular basis. My cell phone is a cheap plan that my brother is paying for as a present for one year.

Non-luxuries: I drink water instead of soft-drinks (most of the time) and bring lunch from home every day. We also live on the cheaper side of town. We tend to leave the A/C heater off if we can. All of our pieces of furniture are hand me downs from his parents. I work when I can in the summers and during school (I currently hold a position as student tech liaison and a food rep position).

I tried biking to school and fell off one day when I was in a hurry and messed up my wrist so I drive in every day now, but I would walk if I were closer. We don't go out that often and we don't tend to eat or drink out.

As an instate vet student, I easily take less than the maximum allowed loans and tend to stick to just staffords.

Something that just 'struck' me about undergrad....we didn't have AC in the dorm I RA'd in, and heat wasn't controllable from the rooms.

But what really 'amused' me was after my first year, the college opted to fire all of the housecleaning staff to prevent a raise in tuition. Students then became responsible for cleaning all the common areas of dorms, and RA's were in charge of organizing it. Common areas including lounges, hallways, and bathrooms/showers, along with stairwells and entrances. As an RA, it was incredibly difficult to convince 40 students to clean common areas, and there wasnt' really a way to compel residents to do so.

At least they were trying to keep costs down! Living on campus was required (which was realisticly cheaper than rents in the commutable area.)

Interesting question!

Luxuries: trip to Australia (def a big luxury, but combats island fever ~$800 incl airfare, hostels, food, etc), DSL internet ($10/mo my share), $600 laptop, mp3 player, non-generic foods when they taste better, the occasional coffee, dog & cat, pay-as-you-go mobile phone (~$6/mo for texts only), sometimes buy one of the "recommended" (vs required) textbooks

Non-luxuries: share 3BR/1BA house with 3 others, hang clothes out to dry rather than using dryer, try to conserve electricity, no working car (thank god for free city buses and friends with cars), no trips home to US (so Australia is my sanity-saving compromise), no fancy clothes, no cable/satellite tv, no central heat/AC, pick up casual work when possible

Thankfully, the NZ dollar has fallen, so I'm saving $2,500-$10,000 on tuition this year (I get my loan money for tuition four times a year, so will reap big benefits if the NZ dollar stays low).

Last edited:
Hmm....

Luxuries: iPhone, macbook, iPod, living arrangements close to campus, summer trip to Africa, pets, 40" 1080p tv, direct Tv, wireless internet, surround sound system, wii, xbox 360, healthy food (usually), bike, active city of heroes account

Non-luxuries: no license, hot-natured and thus using the AC all the time

Members don't see this ad :)
luxuries: Living in amazing city of Edinburgh (currently studying abroad as undergrad), cell phone, laptop w/ internet connection

non luxuries: no car, the dollar freakin sucks compared to the british pound, no television, rather crappy dining hall food plan

Overall, being in Edinburgh totally outweighs everything else

gone

Last edited:
Luxuries: Macbook w/high speed wireless internet, DVR and digital cable, 2005 car (paid off), 2 bedroom apartment for little old me, all House and Lost seasons on DVD (gift certificates), Wii, iPhone, really good health insurance (parents--thanks Mom and Dad)

Non-luxuries: Hand-me-down furniture (anything new was bought at Big Lots), generic or on-sale food at grocery, no new clothes (unless my mom buys and she spent a whopping $60 on two pairs of jeans and a top last visit), Hand-me-down old school TVs, rarely use heat or AC, bring lunch everyday, very little eating out, no alcohol (really saves when you're only drinking water at the bar!)

paying for a desk..
If you live near a university it's always worth it to drive around campus on move out day to scout out the furniture people are throwing away. I found an enormous desk a block from my apartment, but unfortunately it didn't fit through my bedroom door so I sawed off the legs and glued them back on once it was in my room. :) In fact, the only piece of furniture I paid for in my room is a little nightstand from Ikea.

It's interesting to see what people list as luxury vs. necessity/non-luxury items. In my opinion, health insurance is a necessity. I think internet connectivity is also a necessity, although admittedly a different class of necessity than health insurance (i.e. I'd put money towards health insurance before I'd put it towards internet).

I agree with internet being a necessity now a days. It used to be a luxury but it's too useful to be considered dispensable in the modern day society.

You can certainly go without it, but hey, you can go without bathing too right? :p

If you live near a university it's always worth it to drive around campus on move out day to scout out the furniture people are throwing away. I found an enormous desk a block from my apartment, but unfortunately it didn't fit through my bedroom door so I sawed off the legs and glued them back on once it was in my room. :) In fact, the only piece of furniture I paid for in my room is a little nightstand from Ikea.
LOL! you took the legs off and then glued them bacK? haha. Must have been a nice desk.

Health insurance is a MUST. If I didn't have it I would have been 40,000 dollars in debt already and paying out of pocket for expensive medications. I still have medical bills that are just copays from over a year ago..bad bad..VAgirl you are soo right.

I worked in a grooming shop for almost four years and made a good amount of money working one day a week. For a student living with parents, it was great, I was able to afford all sorts of stuff and be able to save some on the side. But recently I gave up that job for one as an assistant for my vet and am making little more than minimum, working a few hours a week. So I was living very comfortably up until now and all of a sudden now that I've switched jobs I'm learning to be frugal.

luxury: live in NYC with parents, don't pay for rent/internet/phone/cable/food. Laptop was a gift when i started undergrad. Have two dogs, two cats and a large fish tank (I'm listing them as luxuries because i splurged on the dogs when i got them from an awesome breeder, we feed a good brand of food, and go to all sorts of parks, dog shows and handling classes, and it would be very hard for me without my mum's support). I get driven places when i need it. My mum pays most of my tuition. Occasional starbucks sort of thing, but mostly when i feel i "deserve" it in some way. Go out to dinner with boyfriend and/or friends at least every month or so (but we get gift certificates from restaurant.com and save awesomely). Bought myself a 32" HDTV a few months ago.

non-luxury: don't have driver's license, have to rely on parents or bf to get driven. Spend 80 bucks a month on a metrocard so i can take the train to school. But my own textbooks, usually used and online. Go clothes shopping once or twice a year, for the most part. Grooming on the side, friends' dogs and stuff like that, for occasional extra cash. Always carry around a thermos instead of buying bottled drinks or tea when I'm out. But honestly I prefer my tea to any bottled drink, so i don't mind it at all and I feel good for not contributing to filling landfills with empty bottles and cups.

Well, if it didn't cost $500 a month to add me on to my husband's health insurance... he works for the university and gets excellent coverage himself. But, with how they offer the plans, it costs $500 for me alone, or it costs $500 for me and our six children. The latter would be a GREAT deal, except... no children. So, I had some other insurance through the university (as a student) and it... didn't really cover anything unless I got in a horrible car accident. Copays, birth control, anything I'd ACTUALLY use... nope. So, I don't have anything.

For those of you who have insurance separate from a spouse or your parents, what do you use?

twelvetigers, I had the exact same question! I am fortunate to have insurance through hubby's company, but I went for years without insurance, and I know the risks. my previous hubby had juvenile diabetes > renal failure > transplant > bankruptcy > him without a job (4 years on dialysis outdated his skill in the medical field and revoked his licence, couldn't work in the same field anyways, since he is immunocompromised for the rest of his life) while still having a load of student debt. I never want to not have insurance again...but worry about hubbies job, etc. I know for us to cobra would be over 1k/month.

LOL! you took the legs off and then glued them bacK? haha. Must have been a nice desk.
Yep, that Gorilla Glue stuff is money. ;) It's about as nice as a big, clunky wooden desk can be.

I have to say this is one thing I am petrified of - having to live as a student again after being out of school for so many years. As they say, "A luxury once experienced becomes a necessity". So true. That being said, I am totally looking forward to it (if i am fortunate enough) and welcome the 'challenge'.

I am used to a certain lifestyle due to having been in the corporate world for quite some time I am worried about not really understanding the magnitude to which i am going to have to sacrifice. I do not have a husband, SO or parents to rely on as far as a second income, housing, insurance, support, etc. is concerned.

So going to vet school (hopefully!), I do not have to worry about loans and debt, but rather taking away from my retirement and wondering how i will adjust to living a lifestyle that is so different from how I am currently living. I do not want to live above my means while i'm in school and I worry about the stress of not having an income. It is going to be so strange, but well worth all of the sacrifices.

I have done some budgeting and figure that my luxuries and non luxuries will look something like this. Some of my sacrifices may seem to some like a luxury, but they really are cut backs for me since i've been in the working world so long:

Necessities: Nice 2BR home, condo or flat, HD satellite or cable, TiVo (cannot imagine life without), high quality food and supplements, gym membership, laptop, keep my current health insurance (students - please do not treat this as a luxury! One catastrophic illness or accident could ruin you), food and the best care for my two dogs.

Sacrifices: Consider a roommate, used books, a more basic DirecTV package, possibly sell my new SUV that i love so much (would rely on bike or public transportation if feasible), reduced cell phone package, only one vacation a year (if that), much more reasonable spending on clothes and shoes, no more PPV UFC/boxing fights, value wines (I can't give it up, but need to be more practical).......

It's hightly probable that some of my 'Necessities' will move to my 'Sacrifices' over time. Oh well, it's worth it. I am actually looking forward to living the simple life.

gone

Last edited:
gone

Last edited:
I'll look into some sort of health insurance. Maybe since FAFSA is paying for my school pretty much (well, grants) and I'm doing loans for vet school... I hate asking mom and dad for help, but I guess this might be worth it. Maybe. Haha.

Out of our furniture, the couch, bed, coffee table, refrigerator, and large dresser were from hub's mom when she moved. We bought a table ($200), an entertainment center ($100), and our biggest purchase was a washer and dryer pair ($1200) which are paid off. The rest is garage sale or free! You guys should see this awesome dresser thing we got for free from someone who was moving. It rocks.

Oh, and we got the 60" TV for free too... jealous? :D I'd say we're pretty lucky. And also, THAT'S why the hub insists on having the HD package. He says it would be a shame otherwise.

Flyhi, I hear you! I have been out of school for 7 years, and I am fortunate to have dear hubby supporting me.

This is our current plan: purchase an ugly, structurally sound 3 bedroom house in a decent to nice neighborhood preferably within biking distance to campus (we will be looking for bank-owned/foreclosed) as we have found that mortgages in the area are as cheap as rent, so hoping to make it an investment property (and some joint projects for hubby and I), I will have high speed internet in some form, but won't have a TV other than slingbox on my laptop. I will keep my smartphone and plan plus my air card for my laptop. Laptop (tablet) should be viable through school. Some of the pets will come with me. I will take necessary furniture from here. I love to cook, so I am actually hoping to set up a cooking group with other students, where we spend some hours slaving away to prep healthy cheap food to freeze and reheat as needed. I am sure I will be on cheap food again. If I live close enough to campus, I will need to get a bike (mine finally died an irreparable death with frame damage...it was older than me, so it earned its worth.) I have gym memberships now, but don't plan on keeping them...hopefully there will be access to a pool somewhere...otherwise I have the shepherd as a running partner.

I will consider roommates (more about finding the right individuals.) I won't feed my dogs raw anymore (nutritionist designed, for everyone who doesn't like raw.) I will keep my car (Prius). We have plenty of furniture in the garage to go to school with me (if I get instate, other wise I will scavenge.)

I admit I couldn't give up the Prius now, and it is a luxury (though gas savings have already paid the extra cost over other vehciles I would have paid...and when Charlotte experienced gas shortages, I never sat in line. I bet we don't do vacations while I am in school, or performances, or travel home for holidays. I will still have to get in the occasional scuba trip to at the shore (otherwise my gear will deteriorate, and that is too expensive to let happen....plus air is cheap.)

I will admit, it would have been easier to move from the tiny dorm room to another tiny place and live on rice and beans again if I hadn't enjoyed a bit more than that....but that is part of the adventure. If I can live on boats sleeping in coffin bunks without showering for weeks at a time and using a bucket for a head, I can handle the lifestyle of a vet studnet.

gone

Last edited:
Penn requires health insurance as well. Anyone considering investing so much money in themselves and their education without have health insurance is, in my opinion (no offense!), crazy. And really anyone not carrying health insurance is crazy, definitely definitely not a luxury.

I could count on one hand the number of times I have been to a doctor in the last 10 years, yet this fall, I rapidly developed serious health issues (out of the blue!) and racked up >$20,000 in medical bills, and that's not even that much! I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't had health insurance. The problems I was having, if not treated and reversed, would have effectively ended my career in vet med before I even graduated. Health insurance is not a luxury.

Penn requires health insurance as well. Anyone considering investing so much money in themselves and their education without have health insurance is, in my opinion (no offense!), crazy. And really anyone not carrying health insurance is crazy, definitely definitely not a luxury.

I could count on one hand the number of times I have been to a doctor in the last 10 years, yet this fall, I rapidly developed serious health issues (out of the blue!) and racked up >$20,000 in medical bills, and that's not even that much! I hate to think what would have happened if I hadn't had health insurance. The problems I was having, if not treated and reversed, would have effectively ended my career in vet med before I even graduated. Health insurance is not a luxury.

Deanna, I hope you're doing better now. So sorry to hear about your health difficulties!

I agree that it is a necessity...but unfortunatly not one everyone is able to obtain, either due to pre-existing conditions or financial considerations (or both!) I am so grateful to have hubby's coverage.

I agree that it is a necessity...but unfortunatly not one everyone is able to obtain, either due to pre-existing conditions or financial considerations (or both!) I am so grateful to have hubby's coverage.

i would consider health insurance a luxury. it's nice when you have it, but you live without if necessary.

i would consider health insurance a luxury. it's nice when you have it, but you live without if necessary.

Not always. I sincerly believe that part of the reason I was a widow at 23 was the inability of my husband to obtain health insurance. Guess he just wasn't able to figure out how to live without it. He received medical care....but it was always delayed because hospitals aren't required to treat you preventatively, which is a huge issue if you are a diabetic, and even more so if you are immunocompromised due to transplants. Medicare/caid cover some things, but not everything, including prescribed pharmaceuticals. I hope that it can always be a luxury for you.

@ sunstorm

yes, it is more of a necessity for some than others. if i had MS, i would have health insurance. if i had diabetes, i would probably have health insurance. but when you grow up struggling to not become homeless it's not typically at the top of your list. funny how that's a situation where it'd, again, be great to have it. i wouldn't wish not having it on anyone, especially not anyone that needs regular care, but there are worse things.

LOL. IvyLynx, not disagreeing with you, but just because it isn't attainable doesn't make it a luxury. Lack of nutrition due to starvation doesn't make adequate food a luxury.

I do completly understand. After I lost my husband, I relocated to Louisiana for work. a few years later, Rita took my home. I lived out of my car the next 6 months while working for a government agency. I didn't have a shelter, and with everything destroyed except my pets and my vehicle, I couldn't come up with the money for a roof. I didn't have insurance then, either. I was fortunate to have family to take my pets, but they couldn't help me financially...and there wasn't work anywhere near anybody I knew...so I went without a home to have a job to start to put my life back together.

I just disagree that the inability to obtain/afford something makes it less of a necessity.

Health insurance is categorized as a luxury in the united states, but I think everyone should have health insurance. A law needs to be passed in this country that you have to have it and its under a system. Just like car insurance in NJ, you can't drive a car without it.

@ sunstorm

yes, it is more of a necessity for some than others. if i had MS, i would have health insurance. if i had diabetes, i would probably have health insurance. but when you grow up struggling to not become homeless it's not typically at the top of your list. funny how that's a situation where it'd, again, be great to have it. i wouldn't wish not having it on anyone, especially not anyone that needs regular care, but there are worse things.

The thing is if you had MS or diabetes you would have one hell of a time obtaining health insurance.

Once something becomes a pre-existing condition you are screwed.

And regarding the comment that health insurance should be a required by law....

I live in massachusetts where it is required by law, and its a great idea in theory but a horrible idea in practice. If you don't make enough money to afford health insurance, you are exempt from the law that requires it.

A law requiring people to have health insurance will only work to a certain extent. Plenty of people drive without insurance in states where it is required. MA is trying this, and there are still a lot of people who aren't insured (and the penalty for not being insured isn't as high as the cost for many people.)

I know for my late hubby, the cost to insure per month was over 1k/mo, and did NOT include prescriptions, would have caused him to lose part of his govt assistance. It was also only really 'catastrophic' with a high deductible.

It may be the next step...but it isn't the solution. I do actually believe in socialized medicine and feel that it promotes capitalism by enabling more individuals to develop businesses and innovate outside of work (since many people are tired to thier work for the health benefits as much as the income.) I don't see it coming very soon, though.

A law requiring people to have health insurance will only work to a certain extent. Plenty of people drive without insurance in states where it is required. MA is trying this, and there are still a lot of people who aren't insured (and the penalty for not being insured isn't as high as the cost for many people.)

I know for my late hubby, the cost to insure per month was over 1k/mo, and did NOT include prescriptions, would have caused him to lose part of his govt assistance. It was also only really 'catastrophic' with a high deductible.

It may be the next step...but it isn't the solution. I do actually believe in socialized medicine and feel that it promotes capitalism by enabling more individuals to develop businesses and innovate outside of work (since many people are tired to thier work for the health benefits as much as the income.) I don't see it coming very soon, though.

This is a political issue. I stand for everyone having health insurance. There has to be a way it can be figured out where we can all have it. Hilary Clinton wanted to do it.. Do you not pay property taxes or anything else govt and law makes you? Really, I think it needs to be this way. Maybe the result would be for some people that can afford it pay more for the other people..? Just like welfare works. I don't like the idea of that so don't get me steamed on my 50 50 views of pros and cons.

gone

Last edited:
the international schools are more expensive in some respects (certainly compared to going IS, but not necessarily OOS), but at least you don't have to pay for health insurance! And you're not paying taxes there either, just mooching off of everyone else's! :cool: