You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
How do you make 150k as a pharmacist?
Started by plsfoldthx
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Besides location... can you move your way up to a higher salary?
1. OT
2. DOP
3. Consultant
4. Rx district Supervisor
5. Pharmaceutical company
6. .....
150k is not that hard to make as a retail pharmacist unless no OT is available in your area. If you want to make 150k without OT, it will take some time for you to get there. But surely, there are many positions (2~6) that give you 150k or above.
Last edited:
I wouldn't say there are many pharmacist positions that pay $150,000+.
Most DOP positions don't pay $150,000...rather it ranges from $115,000 to $135,000. This is where size matters. Larger hospitals do pay more for their DOP...$160,000 to $180,000. Really large teaching hospitals pay up to $225,000+.
To make more money in pharmacy, you have to use your brain more..
Most DOP positions don't pay $150,000...rather it ranges from $115,000 to $135,000. This is where size matters. Larger hospitals do pay more for their DOP...$160,000 to $180,000. Really large teaching hospitals pay up to $225,000+.
To make more money in pharmacy, you have to use your brain more..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Work nighttime and pick up extra shifts or work while you get your paid vacation.
Work midnights for a chain and then pick up extra shifts during your 7 off. And don't take a vacation. You would come close to 150k but have little free time.
you could theoretically make more than this. if you picked up 4 12 hour night shifts at a hospital each off week, you could probably make close to $50-60/hr there, which would net you around an extra 70k per year. And assuming you're making 110k or 115k/year , you'd finish around 180,000. Obviously this is only for the workaholics out there. But if you think about it, paying off loans quick might not be that bad of an idea. The other career path i was thinking of was surgery, and they work 80 hours / week.. week after week after week during residency. Pharmacy night shift work, not nearly as strenuous either.
I'd suggest an industry position.
I'd suggest an industry position.
Is it hard to get into industry & work your way up without a PharmD?
Is it hard to get into industry & work your way up without a PharmD?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=422094
😉
Thanks for the link. I've already been through it a few times, but was looking for more elaboration than "Sometimes I wonder if I really need a PharmD to do what I do, but it helps." i.e. I'm not wondering about job function, a lot of what many pharmacists do prob. doesn't require a PharmD. More about getting into those "$150k" roles.
Is it hard to get into industry & work your way up without a PharmD?
Yes it is!! Once you do get in it is alot of hard work and over time (70+ hrs per week) and many years to work your way up. Eventually you will hit the ceiling without a doctorate of some kind in the sciences. Plus, there are alot of politics to deal with and a doctorate gives you a little bit of a cushion. I am speaking from experience. I have worked in big pharma for many years.
Yes it is!! Once you do get in it is alot of hard work and over time (70+ hrs per week) and many years to work your way up. Eventually you will hit the ceiling without a doctorate of some kind in the sciences. Plus, there are alot of politics to deal with and a doctorate gives you a little bit of a cushion. I am speaking from experience. I have worked in big pharma for many years.
That's if you are on research/scientific side. On commercial side, you don't need a doctorate, you need lots and lots of hard work, lots of luck, good business sense, and being very open to change, because it is the only thing that is constant.
That's if you are on research/scientific side. On commercial side, you don't need a doctorate, you need lots and lots of hard work, lots of luck, good business sense, and being very open to change, because it is the only thing that is constant.
And good communication skills and connections help too.
Why spending all of your time to make that 150k/year ? The more you work, the more you get taxed... I would say work the regular 40 hours/week and start doing some investing because you can make a lot more money and get taxed a lot less in business/investing comparing to regular wages.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
have 1 job that cuts you a check, and have another that pays you cash...
or better yet, both
or better yet, both
Besides location... can you move your way up to a higher salary?
If you have a PharmD and are business saavy, there are alot of opportunities in managed care to make great money.
Why spending all of your time to make that 150k/year ? The more you work, the more you get taxed... I would say work the regular 40 hours/week and start doing some investing because you can make a lot more money and get taxed a lot less in business/investing comparing to regular wages.
While what you said is false (150k and 120k) are in the same bracket, and especially once you have a family, what you said is true. After investments, everybody should be making at LEAST 150k by the time they are 30 if not more assuming they graduate at age 24.
You're assuming that people are going to be investing in stock. Maybe if you're working for a chain and the stock is doing well, but not everyone will invest via stocks.While what you said is false (150k and 120k) are in the same bracket, and especially once you have a family, what you said is true. After investments, everybody should be making at LEAST 150k by the time they are 30 if not more assuming they graduate at age 24.
I don't plan on gambling with the stock market. I'll probably try to pick up real estate that needs some rehab here and there, and then rent it out or sell it when the market's doing well. Instead of worrying about what each type of stock is doing, I'll have to worry about property tax, homeowner's insurance, and flood insurance.
The turnover in real estate may not be that fast or high, but at least I'll have more control over my investments.
Perhaps comparing stocks to real estate is just apples vs oranges...
There is a pharmacist in my area that works the night shift every night, every week. I imagine he has to make at least 150k working 70hrs a week. Not sure how much time he has to enjoy the money, but it is what he does.
have 1 job that cuts you a check, and have another that pays you cash...
or better yet, both
Is it legal to have more than one job, cause here in Algeria it's not!!!🙁
After investments, everybody should be making at LEAST 150k by the time they are 30 if not more assuming they graduate at age 24.
Is this Bernie Madoff?
As far as pay is concerned, my dad is a pharmacist and, with his new job starting tomorrow, he will make $160,000 with the possibility for a bonus of up to 25% of total salary, so he can possibly make $200,000 in one year. This is less than what he used to make at Caremark where every 3-4 years he would get a bonus of at least $250,000 along with yearly salary. Keep in mind he was pretty high up but the possibility is there. So not every dentist makes more than a pharmacist.
And he works from home 🙂
And he works from home 🙂
have 1 job that cuts you a check, and have another that pays you cash...
or better yet, both
Hmm...
Does the second job have to involve a pole of sorts, cuz I heard on the radio that jobs like that can free from working for the "man."

You're assuming that people are going to be investing in stock. Maybe if you're working for a chain and the stock is doing well, but not everyone will invest via stocks.
I don't plan on gambling with the stock market. I'll probably try to pick up real estate that needs some rehab here and there, and then rent it out or sell it when the market's doing well. Instead of worrying about what each type of stock is doing, I'll have to worry about property tax, homeowner's insurance, and flood insurance.
The turnover in real estate may not be that fast or high, but at least I'll have more control over my investments.
Perhaps comparing stocks to real estate is just apples vs oranges...
Well I would argue that you have even less control if you own real estate. Stocks and real estate are in a similar position, you can't drive up demand and get a good price out of it. But with stocks you can sell it within the minute, real estate, its not so easy.
Hmm...
Does the second job have to involve a pole of sorts, cuz I heard on the radio that jobs like that can free from working for the "man."![]()
too bad i'm a male so i don't think i can make as much in that line of work, but it sure pays more than being a pharmacist 🙂
too bad i'm a male so i don't think i can make as much in that line of work, but it sure pays more than being a pharmacist 🙂
I don't know...I came across a story about guys who are laid-off and turning to male prostitution to pay the bills.
They did all kinds of ****...mostly soft-core shows for homosexuals...had a little dyspepsia on the way to work that AM...but...
...now u guys can get ur 150K!

j/k
Last edited:
As far as pay is concerned, my dad is a pharmacist and, with his new job starting tomorrow, he will make $160,000 with the possibility for a bonus of up to 25% of total salary, so he can possibly make $200,000 in one year. This is less than what he used to make at Caremark where every 3-4 years he would get a bonus of at least $250,000 along with yearly salary. Keep in mind he was pretty high up but the possibility is there. So not every dentist makes more than a pharmacist.
And he works from home 🙂
Son,
I told you not to post on here!!
too bad i'm a male so i don't think i can make as much in that line of work, but it sure pays more than being a pharmacist 🙂
Depends.
Let me introduce you to a bunch of nice older ladies...
Or you could join Thunder Down Under if you can fake an Aussie accent.
Son,
I told you not to post on here!!![]()


I saw that coming after I read the working at home part. Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're assuming that people are going to be investing in stock. Maybe if you're working for a chain and the stock is doing well, but not everyone will invest via stocks.
I don't plan on gambling with the stock market. I'll probably try to pick up real estate that needs some rehab here and there, and then rent it out or sell it when the market's doing well. Instead of worrying about what each type of stock is doing, I'll have to worry about property tax, homeowner's insurance, and flood insurance.
The turnover in real estate may not be that fast or high, but at least I'll have more control over my investments.
Perhaps comparing stocks to real estate is just apples vs oranges...
Although I plan on spreading out my wealth between future businesses, real estate, and stocks, stocks make more sense than real estate for a lot of us here. It is less time consuming, more liquid, and easier to get into.
Buying a real estate involves more than property taxs, insurance, and interests on mortgage. There are a lot of liability issues. Depending on your state laws for example, you might lose half a year to a years rent trying to evict deadbeats who might also wreck havok on your building before they leave.
Run an adult website on the side (with legal content of course).
I have a friend who is a pharmacist, she made $240,000 last year. She is the one who pushed me to go to school. Of course this salary was based on working overtime
I have a friend who is a pharmacist, she made $240,000 last year. She is the one who pushed me to go to school. Of course this salary was based on working overtime
Jesus how much over time did she work?
Jesus how much over time did she work?
She worked as much as she wanted, last year we were short pharmacists and there were about 5 pharmacist in my district that worked most of the overtime hours, good thing they did as we are over staffed with pharmacist now 😱, The landscape of pharmacy has surely changed. I'm in a new district this year and my new district is fully staffed too and have cut down on internship offers. Hopefully things will improve on the economy front and prescription volume will begin to increase 😀
Run an adult website on the side (with legal content of course).
This is my alternative plan in case I cannot have a job upon graduating.
1. OT
2. DOP
3. Consultant
4. Rx district Supervisor
5. Pharmaceutical company
6. .....
150k is not that hard to make as a retail pharmacist unless no OT is available in your area. If you want to make 150k without OT, it will take some time for you to get there. But surely, there are many positions (2~6) that give you 150k or above.
How exactly does a pharm student go about becoming a OT? Sorry I'm very uninformed/ignorant about Pharmacy.
I'm also thinking that for Pharm companies you may need a PharmD even though it may not be necessary? Again this issue is still unclear from what I read.
Consultant & District supervisor - I'm guessing A BS Pharm can get these jobs with a few yrs of experience?
It's overtime (OT)
Depends on the position, of course. You don't think that all the thousands of people employed by pharma have the same job description and same credentials, do you?I'm also thinking that for Pharm companies you may need a PharmD even though it may not be necessary? Again this issue is still unclear from what I read.
How exactly does a pharm student go about becoming a OT? Sorry I'm very uninformed/ignorant about Pharmacy.
I'm also thinking that for Pharm companies you may need a PharmD even though it may not be necessary? Again this issue is still unclear from what I read.
Consultant & District supervisor - I'm guessing A BS Pharm can get these jobs with a few yrs of experience?
OT = over time...
DOP = Director of Pharmacy
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 43
- Views
- 21K