How do you make your application look better the second time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAB5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Other than increasing gpa, MCAt, extracurriculars, etc, how do you make your application stand out the second time around?? Is there a pile of applications from re-applicants to that school?

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Other than increasing gpa, MCAt, extracurriculars, etc, how do you make your application stand out the second time around?? Is there a pile of applications from re-applicants to that school?

Any suggestions?

I think you just listed most of the big methods to improve your application....Otherwise I would say do a Post-Bacc / Graduate degree with excellent performance, spiff up the personal statement.

I sprinkle my secondaries with perfumed glitter before mailing them.

Members don't see this ad :)

Any suggestions?

I think I can answer this with my experience. I applied to 24 schools the first time around and got one interview with no acceptance. My second time (the next year) I applied to I think 16, got 14 interviews, accepted at 9, and waitlisted at 3.

Here's what I did:

• Most importantly: didn't give up
  • Second most important: I didn't reuse any of my old application. However, after bullet point three (see below), I critically read through it.
  • took writing courses. Thought that maybe my writing wasn't as good as people told me it was. It turns out that while I could write grammatically well, I couldn't argue my way out of an open door, coherently. An expo/academic writing class was the best investment I've made so far in my life. Don't make fun of my forum posts though. I wrote a much better application the second time around and some deans of admissions actually commented on that on my interview days.
  • to add on to the writing point/AMCAS points: Make sure to really reflect on yourself when writing a new application. You may find that your great idea for a personal statement wasn't so great the first time and that your next three ideas aren't either. If you're a non-traditional applicant though the choice is simple because you really only have one. Every single admissions person I talked to said you absolutely must write about your switch to medicine.
  • took biochem and molecular bio over the summer and anatomy and genetics over the next year
  • continued volunteering. This is a must for many reasons. Find a place you like to work and you'll probably keep going because you like it.
  • tried to get into research (to no avail. I was told more than once there were too many people out there with experience to hire someone that hadn't done research before.) Not getting into research hurt me in one "interesting" interview but it was an anomaly for sure.
  • got a restaurant job to pay the bills. It turns out that was a big plus in my application and interviews--and I managed to live in something other than a cardboard box. Bonus!
  • got a TF/TA position in a class I enjoyed.
  • took a class for fun
  • also for fun, I kept up with my hobbies. It's easy to get down when re-applying so this helps.
  • got a forbearance on my student loans. For only a little more interest, it removes a huge weight off your shoulders. Consider it an investment in your future.
  • Lastly, I began my new application quite early. I knew what it was like the first time around and I wanted first dibs the second time.
Was I busy? Yes, but it wasn't impossible. Also, because I was taking a few classes and working multiple jobs (after getting accepted I got a short research gig) I was never bored, and managed to be in a relationship.

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you hazmat2! Very helpful! What medical program are you attending now?

I think in my case, I'll just have to attach a couple of hundred dollar bills. Haha.