How do you manage SDN members who track posters outside this site?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duped

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the SDN is a non-profit organization and enjoys a tax exempt status I would suspect that they would be concerned with SDN posters who elect to use data to their benefit with impunity. The monitors, participating posters, and others who, despite complaints to the monitors who police themselves take a blind eye to those who seek out information regarding personal identities, boast about it, and then use that information to visit sites impacting those individuals. There do not seem to be adults willing to assume responsibility for real world issues, and privacy concerns that, acted upon, as they have been could be professionally, and personally damaging.

I posted this because this is occurring, and nothing is done to protect the identities, which is paramount according to the TOS at this site. There are confidentiality issues, which will at some point have a tremendous impact on all of your lives. Furthermore, when these breeches, become frightening and threatening, are used as threats, and are used in a cavalier fashion it puts everyone who posts here at risk for individuals who dislike, or disagree with your comments.

I do not like bullying, and since the monitors have done little to respond to these issues I am posting this here as a reminder that your identity may not be "protected" and that the information gleaned may be used to impact you personally, professionally, and financially.

Members don't see this ad.

How about you don't share private information that can identify you? :confused: No one is forcing you to join this site or post to it. If you're concerned about privacy, then don't use SDN - plain and simple. You claim that there needs to be "adults" to take the responsibility for issues, but how about you be an adult and take responsibility for your own actions?

(sent from my phone)

Members don't see this ad :)
How about you don't share private information that can identify you? :confused: No one is forcing you to join this site or post to it. If you're concerned about privacy, then don't use SDN - plain and simple. You claim that there needs to be "adults" to take the responsibility for issues, but how about you be an adult and take responsibility for your own actions?

(sent from my phone)

Dear Dr. Cox protege,

I have not shared private information rather information was sought, and vigorously used without my written permission. I became an adult and entered the world of assuming responsibility before you were born.

Since the SDN is a non-profit organization and enjoys a tax exempt status I would suspect that they would be concerned with SDN posters who elect to use data to their benefit with impunity. The monitors, participating posters, and others who, despite complaints to the monitors who police themselves take a blind eye to those who seek out information regarding personal identities, boast about it, and then use that information to visit sites impacting those individuals. There do not seem to be adults willing to assume responsibility for real world issues, and privacy concerns that, acted upon, as they have been could be professionally, and personally damaging.

I posted this because this is occurring, and nothing is done to protect the identities, which is paramount according to the TOS at this site. There are confidentiality issues, which will at some point have a tremendous impact on all of your lives. Furthermore, when these breeches, become frightening and threatening, are used as threats, and are used in a cavalier fashion it puts everyone who posts here at risk for individuals who dislike, or disagree with your comments.

I do not like bullying, and since the monitors have done little to respond to these issues I am posting this here as a reminder that your identity may not be "protected" and that the information gleaned may be used to impact you personally, professionally, and financially.

The monitors?

Like the lizard (Monitor Lizard)?
monitor2.jpg

Or the thing attached to your computer?

images

The monitors?

Like the lizard (Monitor Lizard)?
monitor2.jpg

Or the thing attached to your computer?

images

Board monitors as in SDN volunteers(?) tasked with the duties as proscribed by SDN TOS to function in the capacity of a board monitor.

I resisted the bon mot of using the lizard brain, and the HPA axis kicking in hard and heavy. That would be a nice excuse for an over enthusiastic student-the haze of an adrenaline rush from a vexing post clouding individual(s) judgement....but couldn't after another look at the pic-

Dear Dr. Cox protege,

I have not shared private information rather information was sought, and vigorously used without my written permission. I became an adult and entered the world of assuming responsibility before you were born.
If private information was found, then it was because someone used information that you posted in order to find more information. Some SDNers use the same unique username on different accounts. In about 5 seconds, I found one girl's Twitter account with her real name, photo and location. I then messaged her to suggest that she not make threads complaining about her classmates when she is easily identifiable.

If you have a specific complaint about a poster or thread, then you should report the post or message a moderator, not make a thread that airs out your complaints.

Dear Dr. Cox protege,

You realize that if information was out there to even be sought out, you had to have put it out there in the first place...

(sent from my phone)

This.

Why would you share private stuff, and expect sympathy that people will remember it? It's like Facebook, the info you put on the internet doesn't happen by magic. You make the voluntary choice to write every word. And no remorse if someone wants to backpedal, cause if you didn't want to share something, just say NOTHING. It's really easy to not disclose any info, a caveman can do that :p

If private information was found, then it was because someone used information that you posted in order to find more information. Some SDNers use the same unique username on different accounts. In about 5 seconds, I found one girl's Twitter account with her real name, photo and location. I then messaged her to suggest that she not make threads complaining about her classmates when she is easily identifiable.

If you have a specific complaint about a poster or thread, then you should report the post or message a moderator, not make a thread that airs out your complaints.

Here's the deal: I am not airing a complaint to a specific board monitor as this would only give more fuel to an unwholesome situation. Board monitors are largely students unfamiliar with the nuance of privacy issues, their breech, and ramifications as to how they translate professionally. At no time have I revealed my identity. Complaints have been made and I am presenting some findings that indicate that the so-called "privacy" is limited no matter what unique user name is used. Tracking of IP addresses is a privilege afforded monitors/moderators not as a tool to wield "power" or influence, and not to visit other sites or share among fellow students. In this case, many of my posts may have been contrary, but none have risen to the threshold of banishment.

Nonetheless the use of IP addresses and data mining should be a concern to all. The first section of the TOS suggests protecting identity, which I have done. This set of guidelines may not be the case for moderators.

Again, ISP and IP addresses are accessible to moderators. Compounded with speculation, probative private messages, and comments, data mining and "site hopping" Information can be used inappropriately even adhering to your suggestions. Duped? I have not, used that login handle anywhere but here, and have been told via private message that all IP addresses from the geographic location would be scrutinized. Furthermore the moderator/monitor suggested to other thread members disagreeing with my comments "they knew who I was and where to find me." - So tell me, is that airing a complaint, or as I considerer it, a threat?

The message I get is this: If they don't like what you have to say, they'll try and track you down. Is that airing my complaint or a genuine concern for anyone who posts here, especially regarding controversial issues?

At no time have I or will I confirm or deny my personal identity. After all, that would be a violation of the TOS, unless if it was done so in writing, which I have not.

Last edited:
The people who post controversial statements kinda have it coming. :laugh:
If you say anything, you can't hide under a computer, or try to cover it up. Only weak lame cowards have that mentality. I honestly can't think of any confidentiality issues that aren't self inflicted. I feel like you might have said some "bad" stuff, and want protection from it, which makes 0 sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
The people who post controversial statements kinda have it coming. :laugh:
If you say anything, you can't hide under a computer, or try to cover it up. Only weak lame cowards have that mentality. I honestly can't think of any confidentiality issues that aren't self inflicted. I feel like you might have said some "bad" stuff, and want protection from it, which makes 0 sense.

This is called DOCUMENTATION
I am not hiding, rather enjoying the anonymity consistent with the terms of service.

However:

Nothing I stated is untrue, inaccurate, false, or misleading.

Cases of mistaken identity, misused data, and identity theft abound. This thread was started to memorialize my experience. In the event of any malfeasance to anyone within the IP address area is harmed, either professionally, personally, psychologically, and/or damages occur this will serve notice to notify SDN they have permitted IP, ISP data to be used for purposes as mentioned, and will jointly be held accountable.

I am not hiding, rather enjoying the anonymity consistent with the terms of service.

However:

Cases of mistaken identity, misused data, and identity theft abound. This thread was started to memorialize my experience. In the event of any malfeasance to anyone within the IP address area is harmed, either professionally, personally, psychologically, and/or damages occur this will serve notice to notify SDN they have permitted IP, ISP data to be used for purposes as mentioned, and will jointly be held accountable.

Solution:
Delete your account and unplug your computer. Problem solved.

Solution:
Delete your account and unplug your computer. Problem solved.

How would unplugging this computer, and deleting my account diminish the fact that those within this IP geographic area remain compromised?

Here are some things to consider: Patients, former patients, families, children, other [confidential]s, neighbors, pets, liabilities, and all of those things that comprise what will populate the screen of your life if and when you complete school, internship and residency. What if you felt that others may be threatened do? Would you hide under your desk? This isn't a trick question.

What exactly are you trying.....to defend?

Who cares about "documentation" on a public medical school message board? It's not like there are crazy identity theft stuff happening here. Unless there is a very specific example you can name, which can explain why any of this matters at all.

What he meant was: If you don't like posting stuff on a public board, dont post. It's not like you aren't accountable for everything you say, what kind of person would believe that xD

How would unplugging this computer, and deleting my account diminish the fact that those within this IP geographic area remain compromised?

Here are some things to consider: Patients, former patients, families, children, other [confidential]s, neighbors, pets, liabilities, and all of those things that comprise what will populate the screen of your life if and when you complete school, internship and residency. What if you felt that others may be threatened do? Would you hide under your desk? This isn't a trick question.

I don't know what you're talking about but if you were so concerned about people IP tracking you you'd be smart enough to pay 5 bucks a month and bounce your IP off a couple servers in India. It's called a proxy server.

Since you "entered the world of adulthood" before most of us were born though, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't even know what I was talking about.

Edit: Hahaha I finally got what happened. Somebody backtracked your IP and freaked you out by telling you you live in Boise, Idaho or something. Don't get your panties in a bunch, the only thing he can get off that is the ISP and general location.

Last edited:
What exactly are you trying.....to defend?

Who cares about "documentation" on a public medical school message board? It's not like there are crazy identity theft stuff happening here. Unless there is a very specific example you can name, which can explain why any of this matters at all.

What he meant was: If you don't like posting stuff on a public board, dont post. It's not like you aren't accountable for everything you say, what kind of person would believe that xD

Let's try this:

RE: Who cares about documentation on this board? I do. In my real world life good record keeping is imperative. You will discover this some day.

RE: "It's not like there are crazy identity theft stuff happening here." How would you know?

RE: "Very specific example" If I gave you specific examples it would be a violation of the TOS, therefore compromising someone's privacy, and possibly revealing their identity.

At no point did I mention what I like, or not "like" merely that I posted. As you can see, I like to post, therefore I am doing what I like. I have not been banned, therefore my posts have not been outside the parameters of socially acceptable commentary. Are you with me?

RE: "What kind of person would believe xD?" I do not know what that means. Are you asking me what kind of person I am? Generally someone likely twice your age, who spends enough time to recognize inconsistencies, irregularities, and potential litigation. Are you with me?

Would a prudent adult have a reasonable expectation of privacy at a site which spell out these in their TOS?

A board monitor/moderator used their ability to view IP ISP information of a geographic area.

I hope this clarifies this puzzling concept-that someone having access to privileged SDN material used it, and it has had effects outside of this board.

Am I clear, or are you going to persist and ask for specifics? That is a violation of the TOS.

Basically: it's nothing that matters to 99% of people :eek:

I'll only respond to the identity theft stuff. How would I know...? Because this is a standard message board. There is NO proof that you can name where identity theft is close to happening. I bet you'll try and cry/whine "it's against the TOS".

Here's the deal: I am not airing a complaint to a specific board monitor as this would only give more fuel to an unwholesome situation. Board monitors are largely students unfamiliar with the nuance of privacy issues, their breech, and ramifications as to how they translate professionally. At no time have I revealed my identity. Complaints have been made and I am presenting some findings that indicate that the so-called "privacy" is limited no matter what unique user name is used. Tracking of IP addresses is a privilege afforded monitors/moderators not as a tool to wield "power" or influence, and not to visit other sites or share among fellow students. In this case, many of my posts may have been contrary, but none have risen to the threshold of banishment.

Nonetheless the use of IP addresses and data mining should be a concern to all. The first section of the TOS suggests protecting identity, which I have done. This set of guidelines may not be the case for moderators.

Again, ISP and IP addresses are accessible to moderators. Compounded with speculation, probative private messages, and comments, data mining and "site hopping" Information can be used inappropriately even adhering to your suggestions. Duped? I have not, used that login handle anywhere but here, and have been told via private message that all IP addresses from the geographic location would be scrutinized. Furthermore the moderator/monitor suggested to other thread members disagreeing with my comments "they knew who I was and where to find me." - So tell me, is that airing a complaint, or as I considerer it, a threat?

The message I get is this: If they don't like what you have to say, they'll try and track you down. Is that airing my complaint or a genuine concern for anyone who posts here, especially regarding controversial issues?

At no time have I or will I confirm or deny my personal identity. After all, that would be a violation of the TOS, unless if it was done so in writing, which I have not.
What it means is that they do a query on your IP to see if you're a known troll, because your posts are written like a troll with a lot of experience but not much success.

However:

Your IP/ISP information is bordering on useless. Every website you have ever visited has access to the IP address you used to access the site. If that bothers you, use a proxy. You should be more concerned that your license plate is linked with the name/address of the registrant, and people can easily track you that way.

I assure you that you are not "bringing anything to the attention of the monitors [sic]" that isn't already common knowledge. If you're worried about the med students not being mature enough moderators, then you should contact the site administrator, who is an attending surgeon. But unless you're really withholding "the bomb" that you're waiting to drop, I'm not seeing it.

Basically: it's nothing that matters to 99% of people :eek:

I'll only respond to the identity theft stuff. How would I know...? Because this is a standard message board. There is NO proof that you can name where identity theft is close to happening. I bet you'll try and cry/whine "it's against the TOS".

You really got accepted to medical school?

Try this: If you can't prove something exists by name than it doesn't exist, right?

Hang on...If the environment is conducive to an adverse outcome does that mean it will: 1. NOT occur. 2. Impossible. 3. Probably occur. 4. Unknown. 5. Possibly occur.

Based on the evidentiary support i.e..,1. IP addresses in the hands of strangers, who have signed a confidentiality agreement (monitors/moderators). 2. The use of that data to mine a geographic area for information. 3. The chat room use of the information. 4. The public disclosure that the moderator has the information and posted that they would use it [for some unspecified reasons] are all decent indicators to be aware that those things which you suggest are impossible, or unlikely may be not be so unlikely.

How's that?

Try this: If you can't prove something exists by name than it doesn't exist, right?

Hang on...If the environment is conducive to an adverse outcome does that mean it will: 1. NOT occur. 2. Impossible. 3. Probably occur. 4. Unknown. 5. Possibly occur.

Based on the evidentiary support i.e..,1. IP addresses in the hands of strangers, who have signed a confidentiality agreement (monitors/moderators). 2. The use of that data to mine a geographic area for information. 3. The chat room use of the information. 4. The public disclosure that the moderator has the information and posted that they would use it [for some unspecified reasons] are all decent indicators to be aware that those things which you suggest are impossible, or unlikely may be not be so unlikely.

How's that?

lol go drink your prune juice it's going bad on the counter.

Seriously, learn a little more about the internet before you start posting on forums if that's gonna freak you out. Like Prowler said, be more concerned about everyday things. I could get more information off of you as a waiter who goes to run your credit card at a restaurant. Hope you got a firewall up on your eMachine running Windows 98.

What it means is that they do a query on your IP to see if you're a known troll, because your posts are written like a troll with a lot of experience but not much success.

Your IP/ISP information is bordering on useless. Every website you have ever visited has access to the IP address you used to access the site. If that bothers you, use a proxy. You should be more concerned that your license plate is linked with the name/address of the registrant, and people can easily track you that way.

I assure you that you are not "bringing anything to the attention of the monitors [sic]" that isn't already common knowledge. If you're worried about the med students not being mature enough moderators, then you should contact the site administrator, who is an attending surgeon. But unless you're really withholding "the bomb" that you're waiting to drop, I'm not seeing it.

You won't, there is no bomb. Already contacted the site administrators. I posted earlier, and let the students do the talking-they've done well regarding demonstrating maturity. Let the administrators take it from here. Some bomb, huh? Other than that, thanks for your time.

My grandma knows more about the internet and "identity theft" than this guy. There is NO chance you can have identity theft here broski. Just as I said, you cant give me a good reason for it. For those neurotic people who actually believe old man Duped: you won't have to worry about identity theft over a mere public forum about medical school...

lol go drink your prune juice it's going bad on the counter.

Seriously, learn a little more about the internet before you start posting on forums if that's gonna freak you out. Like Prowler said, be more concerned about everyday things. I could get more information off of you as a waiter who goes to run your credit card at a restaurant. Hope you got a firewall up on your eMachine running Windows 98.

You got me. Windows `95. I'll use that search motor and get me a flamerwall...thanks for the advice. Yep I'll go fetch that pile driver and hush up.

Last edited:

How's that?
2x06-Afternoon-Delight-Animated-gif-Michael-What-No-no-no-no-arrested-development-7915781-300-167.gif

I resisted the bon mot of using the lizard brain, and the HPA axis kicking in hard and heavy. That would be a nice excuse for an over enthusiastic student-the haze of an adrenaline rush from a vexing post clouding individual(s) judgement....but couldn't after another look at the pic-

.... what?

QTE. Prowler is exactly right OP. It's no one else's fault or responsibility but your own. You should not post anything that could potentially connect you to your true identity (where you go to school, specific grades, specific circumstances, etc). Even things like using the same username is something that a person may not think of but can easily be tracked. Lots and lots of med students read these forums even if they say they don't. Most internet-savvy doctors have seen this site at some point.

Which means fore is not an attending either.

For being a troll he got a lot of people to respond.

Duped seems like a jerk weed. I am not a jerk weed and am not duped.

I read this and it makes me cross. A den brigands is what it looks like is bugging him and toying around. This thread reads like a freak out.

I graduated medical school over a decade ago, Whatt does that make me, chopped liver?

Last edited:
Duped seems like a jerk weed. I am not a jerk weed and am not duped.

I read this and it makes me cross. A den brigands is what it looks like is bugging him and toying around. This thread reads like a freak out.

I graduated medical school over a decade ago, Whatt does that make me, chopped liver?

Thank you for your opinion. It is highly valued, and shall be logged, documented, and disseminated to third parties. Have a nice day!

This is a pretty disturbing thread. Maybe it's just because we had psych not too long ago, but there seems to be some pretty intense paranoia running around here.

The only paranoid person here is Duped, who I assume is just highly misinformed. Like the grandparent who is scared their picture on Facebook will give hackers access to their bank account....

The only paranoid person here is Duped, who I assume is just highly misinformed. Like the grandparent who is scared their picture on Facebook will give hackers access to their bank account....

Yep, and it's fairly intense.

:thumbup: Duped was also the same person ranting against the podiatry students... :rolleyes:

Dear Dr. Cox protege,

You need to lay off the egg nog

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile