How do you pass the time away while waiting for acceptances?

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
This waiting thing is harder than I thought it was going to be. Just wanted to see how others have passed the time away. God bless!

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Aww! You have no reason to be worried, bd2b! Your acceptances will come soon enough! :)

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
Aww! You have no reason to be worried, bd2b! Your acceptances will come soon enough! :)
I know. Well at least I am believing so. Just trying to keep my mind off of it so the time will go by faster but I am having trouble.

About the Ads

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Well the holidays should help, right? Just keep yourself busy...and don't try to think about when you'll hear back from schools. What if you don't hear back till February? Then you spent all of this time worrying for nothing!

otterpop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Status
Medical Student
bro it's awesome that you're waiting for "acceptances." i'm just waiting for responses and i'm hoping one of them is an acceptance.

and yea, the waiting is hard. i can't seem to stop thinking about this whole application process.

enjoydrywax

10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2008
Status
legal and illegal drugs, 9-5 job, skating, hockey, finally getting a chance to check out all the places in LA that I've missed because the last four years of my life were spent gunning here at UCLA

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
I do have my job, but people ask me how my interviews went and when will I find out and then I get to thinking about it again. I'm just so excited at the thought! I should get back into my Wii!

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
Well the holidays should help, right? Just keep yourself busy...and don't try to think about when you'll hear back from schools. What if you don't hear back till February? Then you spent all of this time worrying for nothing!
The holidays will help, except when your the golden child of your entire family and everybody asks about it. Oh well. Maybe I should tell myself that they aren't going to get back to me until February instead of January.

otterpop

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I do have my job, but people ask me how my interviews went and when will I find out and then I get to thinking about it again. I'm just so excited at the thought! I should get back into my Wii!
are you really from compton? if so, holla. i wish i were from compton, people wouldn't mess with me.

pianola

MS2
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear from four key schools that might change things (still undecided about where I'm going).

I guess I kind of try to remember what I'm thankful for already and keep hoping that my hard work will pay off (and I guess for me it has already, at least to some extent).

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
are you really from compton? if so, holla. i wish i were from compton, people wouldn't mess with me.
Yeah I am. I don't know if you would want to be from Compton. I love it here but at the same time it can be depressing driving thru the streets. It's sad.

DrChuck24

~Keeping Faith~
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
being on SDN definitely helps pass the time by...doesnt it??? :D:D:D

good luck with the waiting...

About the Ads

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I'm still waiting to hear from four key schools that might change things (still undecided about where I'm going).

I guess I kind of try to remember what I'm thankful for already and keep hoping that my hard work will pay off (and I guess for me it has already, at least to some extent).
I am extremely happy and thankful just to have had 2 interviews! It is even cooler to think that I have a great chance at the school of my dreams! That is such a blessing to me. That also makes things easier.

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
being on SDN definitely helps pass the time by...doesnt it??? :D:D:D

good luck with the waiting...
Yes it surely does. Thank you very much Dr Chuck.

LossForWords

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This waiting thing is harder than I thought it was going to be. Just wanted to see how others have passed the time away. God bless!
Just do something, anything, other than check your e-mail and snail mail.

DrChuck24

~Keeping Faith~
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
yeah man..i can only imagine the wait and the stress and the AGONY!!! lol..but God always makes a way..finds a way...:love:

in the meantime..if SDN doesnt work...you can hit the gym up (getting tight getting right), do some local volunteer work around the community (might be your final WINTER in Compton), think you have a job so keeping making money so maaaaaaaaaybe you can go to the SNMA conference in New Orleans in 09, and if alll else fails..purchase the DVD of all the seasons of Family Guy..:laugh: always good to laugh

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
Now I want to start a thread about "how to pass the time while you wait for effing interviews"
I say you do it Food. I'm behind ya!

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
yeah man..i can only imagine the wait and the stress and the AGONY!!! lol..but God always makes a way..finds a way...:love:

in the meantime..if SDN doesnt work...you can hit the gym up (getting tight getting right), do some local volunteer work around the community (might be your final WINTER in Compton), think you have a job so keeping making money so maaaaaaaaaybe you can go to the SNMA conference in New Orleans in 09, and if alll else fails..purchase the DVD of all the seasons of Family Guy..:laugh: always good to laugh
I am definitely going to SNMA! You going?

DrChuck24

~Keeping Faith~
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
i really want to go too..i went to the one this year (only because it was in NYC and thats like a hop skip and a jump from NJ) but to go to New Orleans..would love it..trying to get my entire MAPS E-board members down there...:xf:

BlackDr2b

JESUS DID IT, NOT ME!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Chocolate City!
Status
Medical Student
i really want to go too..i went to the one this year (only because it was in NYC and thats like a hop skip and a jump from NJ) but to go to New Orleans..would love it..trying to get my entire MAPS E-board members down there...:xf:
I was a regional board member for 3 years. I went to the national conferences in New Orleans, St. Louis and Atlanta. I love SNMA. We are going to makle it happen this year. Can't wait to get back to the NO!

About the Ads

Food

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2007
Unemployment office
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Good luck, Food.
thanks. everybody needs it now more than ever! let's do a communal prayer to the med-school overlords.

I beseech thee, powerful gods of medical academia...hear our prayers. Grant us that which we strive to gain, and instill confidence into our hearts as we prepare to voyage into foreign waters, bringing glad tidings of our achievements to those who would hear us. Show them the light of our potential, and overshadow our past mistakes! In solemn prayer we bow our heads to you, O all powerful med school gods.

DrChuck24

~Keeping Faith~
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
NJ
Status
Pre-Medical
yeah SNMA..when im in..im soooo IN THERE!!
:)

ginsengone

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I wish I would have been done. You live in the LA area with plenty of things to do and organizations to volunteer for. I just want to say congrats for getting this far, and maybe use this time to celebrate a little. It sounds like it's really out of your hands at this point so just let it be out of your hands.

bluesmd

10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2008
is in countdown mode
Status
Pre-Medical
running around in circles and listening to we will rock you by queen :D (you = application process).

kidding, but good luck to everyone. waiting sucks but hopefully all will end well for everyone

TRN1983

MS1 - I.e. "Know nothing"
10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Anime and video games. I'm going insane this app cycle from lack of love and waiting to hear back from the "one" school who gave me a shot. But, as soon as I put on some Anime or start playing Fallout 3 I'm in my own little imaginary world which has nothing to do with school, etc. It's great.

shnuffles

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The holidays will help, except when your the golden child of your entire family and everybody asks about it. Oh well. Maybe I should tell myself that they aren't going to get back to me until February instead of January.
Yes!!!! Being the golden child is the worst this year! Everyone is so proud of me and so supportive but sometimes I want to just shake them and be like...can this pleaseeeee wait until I have ONE acceptance????? What pressure!

:luck::luck::luck:Good luck everyone, and hang in there!:luck::luck::luck:

LittleRocker

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Go fishing. You'll be so concentrated you won't even THINK about med school.

rowerlauren

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2008
TX
Status
Pre-Medical
I've taken back up the random hobbies I used to have, such as knitting, weaving, reading, sleeping. You know, those things you sometimes forget about?

About the Ads

alehar

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm doing the following:

-Playing Call of Duty 4 and the games I may have missed during the year
-Spending time with the family (watched Ratatouille last night)
-Taking the dog for walks
-Watching Band of Brothers and other miniseries
-Talking to friends online (I'm 30-50 minutes away from any of them, so it's hard to organize get-togethers)
-Shopping for and wrapping Xmas presents
-Planning a New Years party :cool:

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
In addition to rest and relaxation, work out and outline an elaborate "Plan B" which is what you will do if you don't get accepted into medical school. The more elaborate and complete your Plan B, the less likely you will be using it. Working out a detailed Plan B keeps you away from attacking the mailperson or checking your e-mail 50 times an hour. Have a nice holiday!

Back in the day when I applied to medical school, I didn't even entertain getting an acceptance. I completed two semesters worth of lectures in Biochemistry, General Chemistry and Chemistry for non-science students, applied for a grant for my research and stocked my lab. Guess what? I ended up with six acceptances. Work on Plan B and make it detailed.

chemolupusMD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Houston
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm doing the following:

-Playing Call of Duty 4 and the games I may have missed during the year
-Spending time with the family (watched Ratatouille last night)
-Taking the dog for walks
-Watching Band of Brothers and other miniseries
-Talking to friends online (I'm 30-50 minutes away from any of them, so it's hard to organize get-togethers)
-Shopping for and wrapping Xmas presents
-Planning a New Years party :cool:

I would read anything that interested u but never got a chance to read.

Kaydubz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
NH
Status
Pre-Medical
Anime and video games. I'm going insane this app cycle from lack of love and waiting to hear back from the "one" school who gave me a shot. But, as soon as I put on some Anime or start playing Fallout 3 I'm in my own little imaginary world which has nothing to do with school, etc. It's great.
I played and obsessed over Fallout 1, then I played and obsessed over Fallout 2, and what do I get? Morrowind with guns...that my laptop can't even come close to supporting. +pissed+

alehar

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I played and obsessed over Fallout 1, then I played and obsessed over Fallout 2, and what do I get? Morrowind with guns...that my laptop can't even come close to supporting. +pissed+
I think they captured the spirit of the games really well, with a lot of the fun jokes and certainly a lot of content. I'll say that the models needed some work, and the animations especially. (I played on 360, so no problem with system reqs).

I'm also reading the books I didn't get to, namely finishing out the Hitchhiker's Guide series. Douglas Adams was a brilliant man :laugh:

TRN1983

MS1 - I.e. "Know nothing"
10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I didn't play either 1 or 2, but 3 is great :D And, luckily my computer is pretty beastly and can run anything on max settings. Only Crysis challenges me. On Very High 1920x1200 I can only put up 2x AA. After that, it's too choppy.

I just recently finished Gears of War. That was pretty cool, but it got repetitive. Assuming I can finish Fallout 3 over break I think I'll hit up Far Cry next :D

stixx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
it's christmas eve...what else is there to do than to START christmas shopping :eek: :)

About the Ads