How do you politely start rejecting schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faith2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:love:Please do not read this post if you have not heard anything yet. Your time is coming. Now that the acceptances and interviews are coming and you know that you are not interested. How do you politely reject them? Do you call or email them? I know I want them to know I am flattered because there were no guarantees in this process.:love::love:
Keep your head up
accepted2014

Members don't see this ad.

You can do it at some schools through their online system.

If they don't have that, first try an email.

If that doesn't seem to work, call and ask how they wish to be notified.

I notified the director of admissions via email, and it was done.

When I had to reject job offers I would always write a hand-written letter to my interviewer thanking them for their time--an email probably would've sufficed as well.

If there's a particular adcom you corresponded with definitely address them in your letter and show appreciation for the professionalism of the medical school, staff, and faculty. If you feel the need, you can address why the medical school you chose was a better fit--but don't pinpoint why the other medical schools were not chosen. You want to keep everything positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
:love:Please do not read this post if you have not heard anything yet. Your time is coming. Now that the acceptances and interviews are coming and you know that you are not interested. How do you politely reject them? Do you call or email them? I know I want them to know I am flattered because there were no guarantees in this process.:love::love:
Keep your head up
accepted2014

You are thinking too much about this. You can just email them and let them know. "thank you for the opporutnity to join the student body at your school but I will be going elsewhere for the following year." End of story. They wont think twice about it, theyll just accept someone else to fill their class.

you are thinking too much about this. You can just email them and let them know. "thank you for the opporutnity to join the student body at your school but i will be going elsewhere for the following year." end of story. They wont think twice about it, theyll just accept someone else to fill their class.

+1